BOO HOO OHIO

I get the animosity toward the suckeyes but it helps the overall image of the conference when you have a national champ.

Not really. Clemson is one of the 3 best programs over the past 5 years, maybe even the best, but no one is gonna say the ACC is good. In fact, Clemson has won 29 in a row and people dismiss it because the ACC sucks so bad. If a Big Ten or SEC team was on a 28 game winning streak, I'm pretty sure they would be insurmountably number 1 until they lost.

Roughing the passer calls are increasingly outlandish. The QB's don't have red vests on like in practice. Lattimore got jobbed in the Holiday Bowl. Here is a 295 pound DL moving like a freight train having not touched the QB when the pass was released but was breathing on him. And, he is supposed to avoid contact! And Lattimore did not hit him in the neck or head with shoulder or helmet. These calls are in the name of safety. The game of football is inherently unsafe the second the whistle blows to start play. Maybe the rule should be if a defensive player touches the QB, the play is dead and marked at that spot. Maybe this would generate pressure to back off these absurd calls.

The net outcome of the Lattimore play was a win for Iowa. The play ended in a huge pass gain down to the 5 yard line, so the result of the penalty yardage was essentially +2.5 yards (half the distance). But that hit was the start of Slovis' exit from the game. FWIW, I am not in favor of anyone getting injured, especially with any type of hit/injury to the head.

Mistakes happen by the officials, but when horrible calls are made/reversed after the replay officials rule? - that just gives life to conspiracies driven by advertising money and which teams drive the highest TV ratings.

It WAS a fumble and OSU should have been given the TD. That call was a total game changer.

(...and Epstein didn't killhimself)
Same thing happened in the Orange Bowl. Virginia recovered and obvious fumble by the Florida QB, but the call stood. Terrible officiating with regard to replays across the board this year. Overturning things that have no business being overturned (See the Iowa game for multiple examples), and not overturning things that should. Strangely these calls seem to fall in the favor of the larger brand nearly every time.

Not really. Clemson is one of the 3 best programs over the past 5 years, maybe even the best, but no one is gonna say the ACC is good. In fact, Clemson has won 29 in a row and people dismiss it because the ACC sucks so bad. If a Big Ten or SEC team was on a 28 game winning streak, I'm pretty sure they would be insurmountably number 1 until they lost.
And rightfully so, the ACC fucking sucks and Clemson schedules their OOC like an SEC team. They play two actual games a year, just like Oklahoma in the Big 12, except they’ve lost all four of the playoff games they’ve been in.

Luckily, no. But down here when one SEC team wins, all the other teams beat their chest about it and you gotta hear it from all of them! LOL

It makes no sense when you have four programs that might be near the cusp of winning a natty to cheer for "the conference." As an Alabama fan, I want Auburn, Georgia and LSU to lose every game. One recruiting class can make a big difference as we all saw in last year's Bama-Clemson game, where Clemson clearly won the game on the day they signed Justyn Ross and Trevor Lawrence. If LSU wins the title game, it could hurt our recruiting for a year. I already think Nick needs to go after losing 2 games this year and LSU winning the title could cause us to revert to a 8-9 win program.

It's admirable when programs like Vanderbilt beat some nobody in the Kumho Tires Trash Bowl and then chant "SEC, SEC," but the mere proximity to greatness doesn't make Vandy great. If losing to great teams made a team great, Iowa State would have a lot of prestige from its days as OU's and Nebraska's punching bag.

And rightfully so, the ACC fucking sucks and Clemson schedules their OOC like an SEC team. They play two actual games a year, just like Oklahoma in the Big 12, except they’ve lost all four of the playoff games they’ve been in.

Clemson tries to schedule two SEC games OOC pretty much every year other than in years where they are assigned ND as one of their OOC games. They are mandated to play South Carolina (SEC) every year and the legislature requires SC and Clemson to both play one of the in-state punching bag teams to subsidize the athletic departments, which is why you see them have one game against some terrible program like Furman every year.

The problem is as they started to get good, fewer top teams want to play them, but they have played LSU, Auburn and Georgia in the recent past and I think they have LSU and Georgia on future schedules. They did manage to get a home and home against Oklahoma in 2035 and 2036.

You ought to see the posts on their message boards: "We suck" "We can't win the big one" "Ryan Day is a bad coach" "we choked" "We'll never win another National Championship" etc. etc.

I guess it is all relative. Fan expectations are hard to meet, no matter what school you root for.

They have very arrogant fans and they take their success for granted.

You ought to see the posts on their message boards: "We suck" "We can't win the big one" "Ryan Day is a bad coach" "we choked" "We'll never win another National Championship" etc. etc.

I guess it is all relative. Fan expectations are hard to meet, no matter what school you root for.

They have very arrogant fans and they take their success for granted.

They'll win another one, but they are the only team in the Midwest that will. OSU has an instate monopoly on great talent and it is just a matter of time before they have another team that has a guy like Zeke at tailback and Michael Thomas at WR and a QB who can string together back to back games like Cardale did. They absolutely own the Big Ten and they'll have plenty of more opportunities. They'll win one probably once a decade or so under this new regime.

Formerly great programs like Michigan, Nebraska, PSU and Notre Dame are the ones that will likely never win another title. Since the shared Michigan/Nebraska title in '97, out of that group of teams, ND was the only team that even had a chance under the BCS and Playoff structure and they have gotten utterly embarrassed each time they have made an appearance. OSU is the only northern program that can compete with the Southern powers.

OSU shit in their own bed. Yes they were screwed over by the refs like 3 or 4 times. But they still had their chances even in spite of that. Dobbins drops alone would have had them in the drivers seat. So sure the refs were terrible but it wasn't like OSU couldn't have won otherwise. No sympathy from me.

OSU shit in their own bed. Yes they were screwed over by the refs like 3 or 4 times. But they still had their chances even in spite of that. Dobbins drops alone would have had them in the drivers seat. So sure the refs were terrible but it wasn't like OSU couldn't have won otherwise. No sympathy from me.
Totally agree, but when the refs are having a tangible impact on more games than not through terrible officiating, especially in what should be the easiest phase of them game for them (replays), is indefensible and a net negative for the sport. Frankly, I think the sport would be better off at this point if their replay abilities don’t improve to just get rid of it all together. It’s clear they’re biased toward name brands more often than not.

Totally agree, but when the refs are having a tangible impact on more games than not through terrible officiating, especially in what should be the easiest phase of them game for them (replays), is indefensible and a net negative for the sport. Frankly, I think the sport would be better off at this point if their replay abilities don’t improve to just get rid of it all together. It’s clear they’re biased toward name brands more often than not.
There's no denying the ridiculousness of the officiating and reply. When they can't get the plays right be it over turning or not over turning calls when they should it just leaves everyone with a brain scratching their head. These are supposed to be college educated smart people and yet year after year they can't even come close to figuring it out. So they make it impossible to completely rule out there being bias involved. I wish I could say that's not it. But hell if I know. At least that'd be a reason why. Cause incompetence to me sure isn't any better of one.

Totally agree, but when the refs are having a tangible impact on more games than not through terrible officiating, especially in what should be the easiest phase of them game for them (replays), is indefensible and a net negative for the sport.

I think the problem on some of the replays is the refs realize they botched some element of the call and try to make it right. That scoop and score play is a good example. If it was a catch, it should have been blown dead due to end of forward progress since Ross was getting driven back. The refs didn't do that, so they tried to fix it by ruling it incomplete. There would have been a big problem if that would have been a Clemson first down and he got driven back and then fumbled with no whistle blown.

True, but the rest of their conference is weak.

After what happened to Oklahoma maybe their conference should be down graded from being a power five conference.

I just finished watching a rebroadcast of the holiday bowl. Made it even more enjoyable after listening to yada yada yada about how great USC is by the announcers.

They'll win another one, but they are the only team in the Midwest that will. OSU has an instate monopoly on great talent and it is just a matter of time before they have another team that has a guy like Zeke at tailback and Michael Thomas at WR and a QB who can string together back to back games like Cardale did. They absolutely own the Big Ten and they'll have plenty of more opportunities. They'll win one probably once a decade or so under this new regime.

Formerly great programs like Michigan, Nebraska, PSU and Notre Dame are the ones that will likely never win another title. Since the shared Michigan/Nebraska title in '97, out of that group of teams, ND was the only team that even had a chance under the BCS and Playoff structure and they have gotten utterly embarrassed each time they have made an appearance. OSU is the only northern program that can compete with the Southern powers.

I agree with this 100%. Iowa's ultimate goal is to win the Big West Division (as presently constructed) and try to catch lightning in the Big Ten championship game. We almost did it in 2015 and we were close this year.

People on this message board talking about National Championships for Iowa are bat shit crazy.

I agree with this 100%. Iowa's ultimate goal is to win the Big West Division (as presently constructed) and try to catch lightning in the Big Ten championship game. We almost did it in 2015 and we were close this year.

People on this message board talking about National Championships for Iowa are bat shit crazy.

Yep. A program like Nebraska that still has a goal of a natty is just delusional. In a 2 game playoff, a program like Iowa, Wisconsin or Nebraska might be able to hang if they completely luck into having a defense like Iowa had in 2009 and an o-line like Iowa had in 2002 along with a QB like CJB, a RB like Greene and 2 TEs like Fant and Hock. Programs in the midwest outside of OSU have some serious studs, the problem is they are all spread out over the course of a few decades. It's not totally outside the realm of possibility that the stars would align and all those pieces could fall into place in one season for one of those teams, but it is exceedingly unlikely. The biggest hurdle is that unless you are a name brand, you absolutely have to have a perfect season to get into the playoff. Iowa could have its best team ever and drop a game by 1 in Camp Randall and it would be punished hard. Look at Minnesota this year. It's not like the SEC where Georgia can lose to SC and still be in the hunt going into the conference title game. Hell, even Clemson dropped like a brick when they deigned to only beat UNC by a point. The voters just have such a hard on for the big names it isn't funny.

If we are healthy, we can hang with any team ranked below #3 with the exception of Alabama this year. We wouldn't win them all, but no one would embarrass us. But we would get utterly scorched by teams like LSU, Clemson or OSU.

Latest posts