Bold Predictions

And the offense was awesome in 2010 until we got down to 3rd string OGs and RBs. That Stanzi season would go down as one of the greatest QB seasons in Iowa history if the D would have just held on to a few more 4th quarter leads. Last I checked, Stanzi didn't play LB on that team.
Plus, Clayborn basically packed it in once we lost the Arizona game. That dude was like "no way in hell I'm blowing out my knee for an Outback Bowl berth."

I know how it feels the same, but in my opinion, this is a horrible take that neglects the importance of the rest of the team.

In 2006 we lost Greenway and Hodge from the year before. Their loss to the defense cannot be overstated. The 2010 team lost AJ Edds and Pat Angerer, also from the linebacker spot. The loss of multiple NFL draft picks at the Linebacker position who were also multi-year starters is an objectively bigger deal than the return of solid, but flawed college QBs.

As for the DL, they need experienced backers behind them that have a feel for which gaps will need to be filled. They can't do it all. In both 2006 and 2010, our backers were absolutely abused.

This year, we return our linebackers AND our stud d-line, with solid DB's all around. There are no obvious holes to fill. Also, instead of losing 2 offensive tackles to the draft after 2009, we return two likely 1st rounders. The main losses from last year are obviously 2 NFL TEs and a really solid LB/Safety hybrid in Amani Hooker. On these points, I'd argue the TE losses are overblown. Last year was just an embarrassment of riches that I think everyone would agree didn't get utilized to their fullest potential. This year, we are returning perhaps our best blocking TE from last year as well as two solid backups. Losing Hooker definitely hurts, but that's a spot that was specifically designed to get our best athletes on the field and put them in a position to help us.

All this to say what we already know, this year is neither 2006 nor 2010. Crazy things could happen and we could tank, especially given the absolute monster of a schedule we have lined up. However, it is a rare thing in Iowa City to have a roster this experienced and talented from top to bottom.

Yes, Jeff Tarpinian was a stud linebacker who waited and played great in 2010 until getting injured. When he got well late in the year at jNW he was causing some havoc spying on their QB and doing a great job. Then he got hurt again in that game and the hawks had trouble getting stops on defense.

Linebackers are so key in the Hawk defense that Norm and PHil use.

No.

Just to revisit, when I came on here you, several of your other persons, and a few others relentlesdly attacked me and several others who were trying to do serious friendly discussion. It was unprovoked.

You ve mellowed and hopefully we can be done. Im a bit jaded though.

For serious discussion, this team has a lot of potential and have major components of a really good team. However, in my opinion punter, qb, rb, and safety leave serious questions that could boldly go as the worst record in some time.

Im expecting a seriously good team or a seriously bad record. Not the safe middle.

I'd argue the TE losses are overblown. Last year was just an embarrassment of riches that I think everyone would agree didn't get utilized to their fullest potential. .
This is a great point that I haven't really seen mentioned. You can only throw to one of our first round TE's at a time. It was a detriment to have two amazing TE's instead of having, for example, a 1st round TE and a first round RB. There's only so much that you can do with TE's.

This is a great point that I haven't really seen mentioned. You can only throw to one of our first round TE's at a time. It was a detriment to have two amazing TE's instead of having, for example, a 1st round TE and a first round RB. There's only so much that you can do with TE's.

So true. Balance is the key. Maybe the Hawkeyes will have it this year on offense. I think our OL will be very good. We'll start to find out in 2 1/2 weeks

No.

Just to revisit, when I came on here you, several of your other persons, and a few others relentlesdly attacked me and several others who were trying to do serious friendly discussion. It was unprovoked.

You ve mellowed and hopefully we can be done. Im a bit jaded though.

For serious discussion, this team has a lot of potential and have major components of a really good team. However, in my opinion punter, qb, rb, and safety leave serious questions that could boldly go as the worst record in some time.

Im expecting a seriously good team or a seriously bad record. Not the safe middle.

tenor.gif

I'm quite confident this year that the Hawks will win some games we didn't expect, lose some games we didnt expect and play in a post season bowl game. Anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2

I would have thought Banks before Vandenberg

Did you look it up?:)

I would have guessed Tate before Vandenberg but forgot that James was throwing to McNutt and KMM for a good part of his career.

Vlasic would have been #5 if he didn't miss a month his senior year with an injured throwing shoulder.

Here's something I did look up, and might surprise a lot of detractors of ol conservative Kirk. The top five players in career receptions at Iowa, and seven of the top ten, played at least partially for Kirk. Five of the seven played entirely for Ferentz. Now THAT blew me away.

I really think this is going to be a special defense, if not the best under Ferentz. Eppy may be the best DE at Iowa since Andre Tippett and pre-season 1st team All-American. Golston is very talented as well and underrated. I remember a play last year he absolutely blew up the Minny tackle for a sack. I wouldn't be surprised if both are high NFL picks. Lattimore and Reiff are experienced and I think will be better. Nixon will be a force. He's getting high praise from Golston. The LBs will be better than last year. Parker will have the secondary up to his standards, although wish we could have kept Hooker (and Nelson). I like the move Amani Jones to DE.

Latest posts