Bold Predictions

deanvogs

So I'm starting to get really pumped up for football. With the Kids day practice today, I want to throw out a few "bold predictions" that I think could happen. Now I don't think all of these will happen, but I do fell a couple will take place this year. I am probably more bullish than some on this year. Anyway here are some "Bold Predictions".

1) Stanley throws for over 3000 yards and 26 TD's. He breaks Chuck Longs TD record at Iowa, and finishes up being 4nd in B1G career TD's.

2) Iowa goes 9-3 and win the West (10-2 if we can get out of Ames with a win).

3) Iowa's offense will average more PPG this year than last year. This would mean that Iowa will average more than 31 PPG for the 2nd consecutive year. Iowa has not averaged more than 30 PPG in back to back years for a long time. I have a site that goes back to 2009, and even the 2009 season (24 PPG) and the 2010 team (29 PPG) cracked the 30 PPG barrier. The 2015 team was the only other team in the past decade to average 30+ PPG. I kind of think Iowa has probably never averaged 30+ PPG in back to back years.

4) Iowa will have 3 WR that will catch more than 35 passes. You have to go back to 2011 for the last time Iowa had 3 WR catch 30 passes in a year (McNutt, Keenan Davis, and Martin-Manley).

5) This is be Iowa's best defensive line since 2010. Future pros off this years D line will include AJ, Gholston, Lattimore and Nixon. If we get quality depth contribution from some of the other players, this will be a top 10 national D line.

I'm probably more bullish on this season as well. Hard to explain, but, it just has that feel to it.

That said, what keeps popping up in my mind are two things:

One, the schedule. No matter how we look at it, there are several games that will be very challenging, and...

Two, the balance in the West. Almost every team looks better on paper, except perhaps Wisconsin, but, Wisconsin just always seems to find a way. It's going to be a dogfight. I honestly don't know why NW isn't getting more pub. The new QB could very well be addition by subtraction, and, it has a stout RB, a very good defense and is solid in the trenches.

I agree about Stanley and the offense. If we can get solid play in the interior of the O-line, this offense could be special. The WR group looks ready to break out, but, I would argue that it's actually more important that we get the run game fixed. If so, watch out.

The D-line could be downright scary. What's amazing about that statement is that all four starters graduated. I'm probably not as high on Lattimore as you are, but, I think Golston is going to have a break-out year. I also like Schulte as an under-the-radar guy. He just has that look and demeanor of an immovable object on the interior. Nixon is going to be boom or bust for this program. It will be interesting to watch his progress.

So I'm starting to get really pumped up for football. With the Kids day practice today, I want to throw out a few "bold predictions" that I think could happen. Now I don't think all of these will happen, but I do fell a couple will take place this year. I am probably more bullish than some on this year. Anyway here are some "Bold Predictions".

1) Stanley throws for over 3000 yards and 26 TD's. He breaks Chuck Longs TD record at Iowa, and finishes up being 4nd in B1G career TD's.

2) Iowa goes 9-3 and win the West (10-2 if we can get out of Ames with a win).

3) Iowa's offense will average more PPG this year than last year. This would mean that Iowa will average more than 31 PPG for the 2nd consecutive year. Iowa has not averaged more than 30 PPG in back to back years for a long time. I have a site that goes back to 2009, and even the 2009 season (24 PPG) and the 2010 team (29 PPG) cracked the 30 PPG barrier. The 2015 team was the only other team in the past decade to average 30+ PPG. I kind of think Iowa has probably never averaged 30+ PPG in back to back years.

4) Iowa will have 3 WR that will catch more than 35 passes. You have to go back to 2011 for the last time Iowa had 3 WR catch 30 passes in a year (McNutt, Keenan Davis, and Martin-Manley).

5) This is be Iowa's best defensive line since 2010. Future pros off this years D line will include AJ, Gholston, Lattimore and Nixon. If we get quality depth contribution from some of the other players, this will be a top 10 national D line.
If our defense can approach the quality of those 2009 and 2010 teams, and it might, we will be in business in 2019.

Did we average 30 ppg back to back in 2002-2003? That would be the best chance of doing it in the Ferentz era. We had to have done it in the Fry era, especially 1985-86 and a couple of those teams in the Sherman-Dwight-Banks-Shaw era.

Here's a good trivia question for ya. 4 Iowa QBs have thrown for 3,000+ yards in a season. (one of them did it twice). Can you name them?

FYI, Nate threw for 2850 last year, so he could do it.

Here's a good trivia question for ya. 4 Iowa QBs have thrown for 3,000+ yards in a season. (one of them did it twice). Can you name them?

Im not going to look it up, but Chuck Hartlieb has to be the one who did it twice. In 1987 and 1988 our offense was like an air raid. I wonder if it was because Bill Snyder was starting to audition for head coaching jobs and is it possible that Hayden, who normally called the plays, gave Snyder the keys to the offense for a couple years.

Long, Hartlieb, Stanzi, Vandenberg
Did you look it up?:)

I would have guessed Tate before Vandenberg but forgot that James was throwing to McNutt and KMM for a good part of his career.

Vlasic would have been #5 if he didn't miss a month his senior year with an injured throwing shoulder.

Here's something I did look up, and might surprise a lot of detractors of ol conservative Kirk. The top five players in career receptions at Iowa, and seven of the top ten, played at least partially for Kirk. Five of the seven played entirely for Ferentz. Now THAT blew me away.

Did you look it up?:)

I would have guessed Tate before Vandenberg but forgot that James was throwing to McNutt and KMM for a good part of his career.

Here's something I did look up, and might surprise a lot of detractors of ol conservative Kirk. The top five players in career receptions at Iowa, and seven of the top ten, played at least partially for Kirk. Five of the seven played entirely for Ferentz. Now THAT blew me away.
Nope, though you mentioning Hartlieb helped. I still maintain that Vandenberg was a much better QB than his Sr. season. Not on the level of those others, mind you, but that offensive transition basically ruined him.

Also, I'm far from a Kirk detractor, but that could also be attributed to CFB in general becoming more pass happy during his tenure.

Nope, though you mentioning Hartlieb helped. I still maintain that Vandenberg was a much better QB than his Sr. season. Not on the level of those others, mind you, but that offensive transition basically ruined him.

Also, I'm far from a Kirk detractor, but that could also be attributed to CFB in general becoming more pass happy during his tenure.

I think JVB's 2011 season was misleading. Statistically it was great, but it was feast or famine with him. He put up big numbers in about 4 games that year and not much in the other games. The '09 OSU game is the game that got me excited about him being the successor to Stanzi. I do agree that not only was the transition a killer, his skill set wasn't suited for a Greg Davis offense.

It shows you how innovative Hayden was when he was in his prime. He and Mike White realized early on that you would have to throw the football to win games in the conference.

If our defense can approach the quality of those 2009 and 2010 teams, and it might, we will be in business in 2019.

Did we average 30 ppg back to back in 2002-2003? That would be the best chance of doing it in the Ferentz era. We had to have done it in the Fry era, especially 1985-86 and a couple of those teams in the Sherman-Dwight-Banks-Shaw era.

It was 2001-2002. That '01 team put up a lot of points. I know many disagree, but imo, Iowa stills go 11-2 in 2002 if McCann would have been the starter. The ISU game would have been a win and the Purdue game would have been a loss.

It was 2001-2002. That '01 team put up a lot of points. I know many disagree, but imo, Iowa stills go 11-2 in 2002 if McCann would have been the starter. The ISU game would have been a win and the Purdue game would have been a loss.

I'll give you ISU. Miami O - No. At PSU- No. Purdue - No. No USC at that point.

So, that's 3 losses. Likely a loss between IU and Wisconsin, just because.

1. Stanley wins the Heisman.
2. We are in the playoffs.
3. The linebackers feast behind a dominant D line.
4. Offense averages 35 a game. Defense gives up 10 a game.
5. RB by committee rushes for 2000 yards.
6. TEs make us forget Hock and Fant.
7. KF gets another 10 year extension. But this time he gets a buy out of 150% every year he wins 7 games until the new extension kicks in.
8. BF is names Coordinator of the year.
9. Iowa scares Clemson and eventually loses 24-23 on a last second 46 yard FG.
10. Our punter averages 40 yards a kick this season.

7. KF gets another 10 year extension. But this time he gets a buy out of 150% every year he wins 7 games until the new extension kicks in.
10. Our punter averages 40 yards a kick this season.

With regard to #9, does KF call a TO to ice their kicker?

10. Our punter averages 40 yards a kick this season.[/QUOTE]

Everything you said but a D player gets the Heisman this year and an Espy!

I’m a Hawk fan.

Pre-season hype.
Very tough schedule.
Inaccurate QB.

I want more than 7 or 8 but have been conditioned for that.

Im not going to look it up, but Chuck Hartlieb has to be the one who did it twice. In 1987 and 1988 our offense was like an air raid. I wonder if it was because Bill Snyder was starting to audition for head coaching jobs and is it possible that Hayden, who normally called the plays, gave Snyder the keys to the offense for a couple years.

I have 3? C. Hartlieb, Vandenberg, and Rudock for Meatchicken after the transfer. I can't think of anyone else.

And none have 2 years.

Latest posts