Boise to MWC; What has Changed?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Boise will be announced to the MTN West today, where early this week they said they were holding off on any invites..

Something has changed...I am wondering if they feel the Pac 10, TX, A&M, OU, OSU thing is going to happen...invite Boise, then come back and pick up Iowa State, Kansas State, KU and Mizzou....to go to 14...then there is Baylor...do they get in? If so, who is left out? Do they go to 16?

Fascinating times we are in.

Boise in MWC will be effective July 1st, 2011...which is a key date, and why these next 19 days before July 1, 2010 are crucial and why we will see a lot of movement...because that is the start of a new fiscal year, which probably delays starting in a new league by another year.

Depending on TX A&M... if they go to the SEC... that leaves the PAC16 at 15 ... could be they didn't want BSU getting that invite.. :)

Boise will be announced to the MTN West today, where early this week they said they were holding off on any invites..

Something has changed...I am wondering if they feel the Pac 10, TX, A&M, OU, OSU thing is going to happen...invite Boise, then come back and pick up Iowa State, Kansas State, KU and Mizzou....to go to 14...then there is Baylor...do they get in? If so, who is left out? Do they go to 16?

Boise in MWC will be effective July 1st, 2011...which is a key date, and why these next 19 days before July 1, 2010 are crucial and why we will see a lot of movement...because that is the start of a new fiscal year, which probably delays starting in a new league by another year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the MWC go to 16 teams. The WAC cupboard is not bare yet, even with Boise gone. Don't be shocked if the MWC picks up Fresno State as well.

Is that the start of the fiscal year for all the conferences, though? A lot of companies that I work with have different start/end of their fiscal years. For instance, Cisco's EOY is end of July.

Fascinating to say the least, though.

These conferences had better be careful. Word is Geoffroy, Grassley and Harkin are threatening to look into federal anti-trust laws and the tax-exempt status of big time college athletic programs to keep schools like Iowa State from being left out of a major conference. ;)

Last edited:
maybe they know that the Pac-11 is going to invite Utah and wanted to grab a replacement preemptively

Why would Boise State want to be in the MWC? Is that even much of a step up for them?

Have you watch the BCS recently? Utah and TCU are very good programs, and Utah has had some serious success there. BYU is another good program. Adding Boise (along with potential Big 12 leftovers) could get the MWC an automatic BCS bid. If THAT happens, then it is a SERIOUS step up for BSU. Because the MWC will not be as tough to win as an expanded Pac-10.

Is that the start of the fiscal year for all the conferences, though? A lot of companies that I work with have different start/end of their fiscal years. For instance, Cisco's EOY is end of July.

Fascinating to say the least, though.

I could be wrong but I think all colleges have a fiscal year of July 1st through June 30th and is set by the US Department of Education. Different companies can have different fiscal years because they aren't all governed by 1 body or organization.

Have you watch the BCS recently? Utah and TCU are very good programs, and Utah has had some serious success there. BYU is another good program. Adding Boise (along with potential Big 12 leftovers) could get the MWC an automatic BCS bid. If THAT happens, then it is a SERIOUS step up for BSU. Because the MWC will not be as tough to win as an expanded Pac-10.

Very good stuff. I guess the other thing is I'd imagine most conferences are positioning themselves to get one automatic bid to the football playoff which I think is comming.

maybe they know that the Pac-11 is going to invite Utah and wanted to grab a replacement preemptively

BINGO!!!!

My initial take is that aTm is going SEC, Texas still flirting with Big 10 (contrary to Chip Brown), and Big XII South to Pac 10 may be falling apart.

Pac 10 has been eyeing Utah almost as long as Colorado, and if they don't think Texas is a lock, might as well stick with the original plan and go from there.

As of right now, I see it as:

CU to Pac Ten
NU to Big Ten
Boise to MWC
Utah to Pac Ten (holds until see what happens to Big XII)
aTm to SEC
VaTech to SEC
Texas to Big 10 (if they turn down the money and academics, they'll prove they really have fully integrated with the Southern way of (not)thinking).
OU, OSU, KU, KSU, TT, MU, ISU, BU form the nucleus of a reconstituted Big XII and raid the WAC, MAC, and C-USA (I don't see MWC schools leaving, they've got a good thing going).
Cuse to Big Ten
Maryland to Big Ten
ND to Big Ten

...and some others.....but no way Florida allows Miami or FSU into SEC.

i think this whole thing will amount next to nothing.

I think Texas is doing all this to try and get the B12 to let them have their own network.

At the end of the day, I think Texas was letting this happen not caring about the end result except that it improves for them. Their big fish was a Texas Network and that is not happening anywhere else but the SEC and The Big 12. In all this, the Big12 has looked vulnerable to all schools save Texas. They'll use this as a negotiating chip to let the Big12 grant them what they wish. So the big 12 survives at a cost paid to Texas.

Colorado and Nebraska are easily replaceable. The ones that have the nads got out or are getting out. The rest of the weak sisters will stay.

That is my $.02.

I think BWS scenario is possible, but either way MWC strengthened itself here and made it easier to push for a seat at the table. If the 4 super conferences form and they scoop up the Big 12 leftovers it will be hard to deny them a BCS bid. You know Hatch will be screaming for one possibly flanked by Grassley, Harkin, etc.

yep Boise Accepted it and now is officially part of the MWC...if things weren't interesting enough...they just got a little more interesting. I wonder now if ISU and Kansas really do have an alternative.

I guess I don't see how anything has changed. Those moves above were rumored at the beginning of the week when the Boise move was to take place.

Maybe, just maybe all of this Big12 breakup stuff is just fluff and it won't happen after all. Lets be real - Nebraska has not formally accepted an invite to the Big10, Colorado is the only program that is FOR SURE leaving the Big12. The Big12 will have no problem adding a 12th team should they stay together. Hell, Colorado is going to have to pay a $10 million buyout to get out of their Big12 commitment. That money will more than offset adding a 12th team. Here TCU, here is $10 million to join our conference and be the whipping boy of Texas and aTm.

I'm not certain of anything at this point but the Boise St. to MWC has certainly made me scratch my head.

Maybe, just maybe all of this Big12 breakup stuff is just fluff and it won't happen after all. Lets be real - Nebraska has not formally accepted an invite to the Big10, Colorado is the only program that is FOR SURE leaving the Big12. The Big12 will have no problem adding a 12th team should they stay together. Hell, Colorado is going to have to pay a $10 million buyout to get out of their Big12 commitment. That money will more than offset adding a 12th team. Here TCU, here is $10 million to join our conference and be the whipping boy of Texas and aTm.

I'm not certain of anything at this point but the Boise St. to MWC has certainly made me scratch my head.

Nebraska has formally accepted and invite to the Big Ten. There's no official press release yet but it's been done.

http://omaha.com/article/20100611/NEWS/306119977#it-is-done-nu-to-the-big-ten

Latest posts