Boise to MWC; What has Changed?

So this isn't football related, but I work for a for profit education company. Our fiscal year is calender, but we have an educational year, where our federal funding resets with is July 1st. So it would make sense for traditionaly universities to have July 1st as the start of their year.

Hmmm? What could have changed in such a short amount of time? What kind of seismic event in college football could have occurred? Could it be the fact that one if the two driving teams of the proposed Big 6 Pac Ten merger just got hammered with catastrophic sanctions? Did it just become obvious that interest in the network from this merger will be lower than previously expected.

Could it be that these sanctions were just what TAMU and OU needed to get away from Texas? Could it be that the Big 12 will retain enough teams to be a viable league therefore there was no was no to draw Big 12 North?

my guess is that isu, kan, kst, mo, bay and fresno move to mwc and get bcs status

Okay:

Let me explain why these teams are not moving to the MWC. The Mountain West has the worst TV deal in the nation. They have their own network, but it hasn't drawn a profit and also has no compete clauses that make it impossible for teams to sign local TV contracts.

Also, if the B6 don't end up going Pac Ten, which looks really iffy right now, the Pac Ten will take Utah and the B12 Northers might take TCU. That would end the MWC's chance at the Autobid.

With Boise St in the MWC they have a decent shot at becoming an AQ BCS conference after the next BCS evaluation period, which occurs in two years. In order to be included as part of the MWC in time for the next evaluation, Boise St needs to compete in the MWC by 2011, and in order to meet that deadline they need to officially agree to become a member by July 1st, 2010. I think the MWC was hoping that this conference realignment would play out by then, but seeing how there is no end in sight right now, they went ahead and did what currently gives their conference the best chance of becoming a BCS AQ conference.

Great point CAAR.

I would hate to see the SEC get a presence in state of Texas but if what shakes out of this is Big Ten gains UT, Nebraska, ND, and 1 or 3 other teams, I don't care what else happens. The Big Ten will be the ultimate winner in these sweepstakes. BTN would get a huge new TV market, new advertising streams and a better foothold on Texas recruits as well. The Pac-16 is certainly viable but I really think the Big Ten will be the ultimate winner here.

I don't see Oklahoma staying in a watered down Big 12 without Texas. I would imagine they would join the SEC with A&M. Oklahoma is too good to stay with a watered down big 12.

Latest posts