Bohannon crow anyone?

I didn't pay close attention to the game, but I do recall JB actually created contact I think from 2 defenders and got to the line on that. He needs to do it more than once though. 2 for 2 from the line.

Great post. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. Here is what I think Jordan will improve on next year:

-Cutting down on the silly turnovers. Most of his TO are of the not thinking/dumb variety.
-Leadership. I think Jordan is a natural leader with his confidence. With Jok gone, I think Jordan is going to step up his leadership on the team
-Pull up game. I think Jordan will begin to learn how/when to take it all the way to the basket and when to pull up for a floater or jump shot. I though he did a great job getting to the rim vs SD, but then again that is a mid major program and that stuff won't go down vs B1G opponents
-Defensively he will get better as he gets stronger, and works on his lateral quickness. He will never be a plus defender, but I think he stops being a liability.

I think what will also continue to be apparent is that he simply spaces the floor having the ball in his hands. Teams can't sag like they did vs Mike, they have to guard him out to 25' and when you do that, passing lanes inside will open up. We really struggled to score down low the last 4 years, as all teams just sagged off Mike and Sapp and clogged up the lane. Now teams can't do that.

Either way, Jordan completely and totally surprised me and I'm guessing MOST of HN this year, something tells me he still has room to surprise us even more.

You briefly mentioned it, but I think the development of his floater will be key. He needs to practice it all off season. That will add another weapon to his game, and it will help open up the perimeter. He's just not big enough to consistently get to the basket, but if can make floaters over top of the bigs he doesn't have to be. It will have the exact same impact.

I hate to say it, but Monte is a good example. When Monte had Jameel McKay in the post there were times you couldn't tell if his floater was a shot or an alley-oop pass. It's tough to defend when you add it to your arsenal. JBo could do the exact same thing with Cook in the paint.

You briefly mentioned it, but I think the development of his floater will be key. He needs to practice it all off season. That will add another weapon to his game, and it will help open up the perimeter. He's just not big enough to consistently get to the basket, but if can make floaters over top of the bigs he doesn't have to be. It will have the exact same impact.

I hate to say it, but Monte is a good example. When Monte had Jameel McKay in the post there were times you couldn't tell if his floater was a shot or an alley-oop pass. It's tough to defend when you add it to your arsenal. JBo could do the exact same thing with Cook in the paint.

They actually ran the play on an out of bounds play last night. Jbo drove and threw it up towards the hoop. Cook tried to dunk it and was fouled. It was another great play call from the bench.

The last third of the season he is averaging (and where it would rank in conference for season)
13.9 points (14th)
5.36 assists (1st)
1.18 steals (10th)
46.2% FG (29th)
50.7% 3p FG (1st)

That includes the worst game of his young career at MSU

Yes it sure was. We need more of it. We looked oddly discombobulated last night and still managed to score well. It was refreshing to see us have a sloppy game and still keep the opposing score within reason. We are not used to watching sloppy Iowa games end up with a victory going away. Hopefully we regain some rhythm because it will be tougher to score on TCU with being so sloppy. I despise going against a Jamie Dixon squad at the end of a season. He is known for having his team's really honed in on defense by the end of a season much like Izzo. I hope the one game against MSU this year was enough experience for the freshman to be prepared for the kind of play we are going to see.

pHZIc.gif

Of course, I would love to see this thread carry on to record proportions.....

:cool:

If they would have made the championship game, Jok probably would have broke the single season scoring record and Bohannon could have broken the single season assist record. He would have finished 2nd in 3 pointers made in a season also.

The question is, is Bohannon just playing out of his mind right now, or is this just who he is?

This is JBo.....

And he will only improve.....

Savvy, Tough hombre for certain with a supreme skillset that will only get better.....

What's not to like.....

Would like Jordan to grow 3/4 inches in the off season.....

That's all.....

One thing I love about JoBo... no fear... balls the size of bowling balls. He makes a series of bad plays/isn't shooting well or pressure is building? He is still shooting. Love that confidences

With tonights game Jordan will be at:

11 PPG
over 5 APG
Orating over 111 which is insane really.
41.6% from 3,
53.5% eFG%
Assist Rate of 30.4 which is 62nd nationally

In conference play he finished:
24th in Orate
21 in eFG%
21 in TS%
7th in Assist Rate

If you would have told me Jordan was going to put up number like these, I would have told you he wouldn't be able to do that at JUCO, let alone as an undersized PG in the B1G. I can't even begin to say just how impressive this all is.

That all said, guy needs to get better on D, and in a bad way.

JB won me over down the stretch. He played great the last few games and I'm impressed he finally started shooting a good enough percentage to justify how many shots he took earlier in the year. I believe his 304 shot attempts trails only Ricky Davis and Tyler Smith for a freshman, although I'm open to a correction. Getting benched to start the second half against Indiana was a real wake up call for him it seems. He was a different player after that.

That said, we still lost two of the last three (and his double-double vs Indiana was really a joke, he had three assists on freebie buckets in the last three minutes down 29 points to get it. Not his fault he was still in, but Ricky Davis would be proud that he padded the stats in garbage time). He also had almost a full games worth of overtimes (35 minutes) that inflated his per game stats just a bit. I think he scored 23 points in OTs this year, that's almost a point per game worth. His offensive skills weren't enough to compensate for his atrocious defense (that impressive ORate is countered by an equally horrible DRate), and at least today he showed no signs that it's gotten better. He had a double double today with career highs in points and assists and yet he wasn't even the best point guard on the floor and gave up a double double to his counterpart. We were 1-4 when Bohannon scored 20 plus points on the year, so his best scoring games weren't enough to actually translate into wins. And he missed another huge free throw today down the stretch that contributed to the loss as he did against Illinois. He has a lot he can improve on if he wants to lead the team to an NCAA tournament next year and it starts on the defensive end of the court. Gaudy numbers won't mean anything if the win-loss record doesn't reflect it in the end.

Next year is going to be about as interesting a year as I can remember because I honestly don't know what to expect without Jok. Over the last four years we've seen so much growth from our seniors in that final year. Marble, White, Uthoff, and Jok became All-Big 10 first teamers, Woodbury leading the league in rebounds, and Gesell's incredible assist-turnover mark, plus Olaseni and Clemmons stepping up in some big games. Next year we may have Uhl, but I don't expect him to make that leap, although he still is an asset on defense when no one else is. I've said before that I think we will be better, but the record is unlikely to show it depending on the conference schedule we draw. But adding the true center could also make a huge difference on defense even if he's not a shot blocker and we could be better. Going to be exciting to watch!

He definitely seems to be a leader. I think a couple of the other freshmen seem to be natural leaders too. The freshmen do come to play.

If they would have made the championship game, Jok probably would have broke the single season scoring record and Bohannon could have broken the single season assist record. He would have finished 2nd in 3 pointers made in a season also.

The question is, is Bohannon just playing out of his mind right now, or is this just who he is?
I think it's who he is. He's a smart player. He doesn't pick up his dribble when pressured and he's committed to finding open teammates. Which is why his asst/to ratio is what it is. You have to give him credit for what he's doing because it's not like he's simply faster or can jump higher than everyone else. He's not/ he can't. Defenses will do more to try and stop him next season once Jok is gone but I'm not worried about that so much.

Latest posts