Bob Davies

I understand there are people in the country doubting the Hawks success. Never in my life have I heard an announcer so one sided as this loser was yesterday. In fact it got to the point I stopped watching the game and listened to it on radio.

Some of the replays were more obvious than others, no matter how clear or plain it was he was on the Hoosier's side every time.

Probably the most disgusting aspect of the telecast yesterday was the replay of LSU tailgating the week before.

Not to mention the producer he must have been doing a little tailgating himself before the game. On the "spot" replay they showed 7 replays none of them from the correct angle, and one wasn't even the correct play. Shame on you espn.

I hope the rest of the country continues to doubt us. The hawks under Ferentz have been very successful in bowl games you give this coaching staff a month to prepare for ANYONE and they are dangerous.

Haha...even as it happened live I saw the ball go from being pinned to the ground at his belly to out in front of him after he "bounced" off of it and thought "they better not spot that way up there!" and they didn't, they got it right and I had to yell, curse and laugh at those idiots as they continuously chose to not see that play correctly after each replay they showed.

I understand there are people in the country doubting the Hawks success. Never in my life have I heard an announcer so one sided as this loser was yesterday. In fact it got to the point I stopped watching the game and listened to it on radio.

Some of the replays were more obvious than others, no matter how clear or plain it was he was on the Hoosier's side every time.

Probably the most disgusting aspect of the telecast yesterday was the replay of LSU tailgating the week before.

Not to mention the producer he must have been doing a little tailgating himself before the game. On the "spot" replay they showed 7 replays none of them from the correct angle, and one wasn't even the correct play. Shame on you espn.

I hope the rest of the country continues to doubt us. The hawks under Ferentz have been very successful in bowl games you give this coaching staff a month to prepare for ANYONE and they are dangerous.

I thought he was pretty fair yesterday.

He may have been "fair" but he was dead wrong on most of the video reviews, except for DJK's "catch" that hit the turf...

I agree Davie is hard to listen to. It was obvious both Davie and his broadcast booth partner Mark Jones were ill prepared for the telecast. Neither knew the teams very well and Jones didn't even know the first name of Indiana coach Bill Lynch. In fairness, I believe they were covering the game only because of the Griese suspension. Otherwise they would have been assigned to the B League, SEC, coverage like they usually are. I hope we don't see these two again. Bring back Chris Spielman!

He may have been "fair" but he was dead wrong on most of the video reviews, except for DJK's "catch" that hit the turf...

He had the Indiana touchdown that was overturned right. Kid had his right foot down and he got jobbed by the eye in the sky. I'm talking the TD that would have put Indiana up 28-14.

I don't know what the replay official was looking at on that one. Foot down+possesion=touchdown.

The touchdown at the end of the half was iffy, but really didn't matter as Indiana scored on the next play anyway.

I agree with Shada...he was fair and entertaining. Davie and Jones called a lot of Iowa games in 2002 and are very familiar with the b10 and Iowa's program. They're not Iowa homers...they are calling a game for a wide audience. If you take your home-team bias out of the equasion and just listen, it's very good. They are much more objective than some people think. I listened to Dolph and Eddie at work yesterday, then watched the espn game tape this morning. Good stuff. Go Hawks!

I agree with Shada...he was fair and entertaining. Davie and Jones called a lot of Iowa games in 2002 and are very familiar with the b10 and Iowa's program. They're not Iowa homers...they are calling a game for a wide audience. If you take your home-team bias out of the equasion and just listen, it's very good. They are much more objective than some people think. I listened to Dolph and Eddie at work yesterday, then watched the espn game tape this morning. Good stuff. Go Hawks!

I did the same thing. Dolph and Eddie were flabbergasted that the DJK catch was overturned, but the ball hitting the ground was clear as day on TV.

He had the Indiana touchdown that was overturned right. Kid had his right foot down and he got jobbed by the eye in the sky. I'm talking the TD that would have put Indiana up 28-14.

I don't know what the replay official was looking at on that one. Foot down+possesion=touchdown.

The touchdown at the end of the half was iffy, but really didn't matter as Indiana scored on the next play anyway.

Not true on that back of the endzone play SR...when the receiver's foot is down, inbounds, the ball is at his wrists, not in his hands...he doesn't get it in his hands until his foot is out. As for the other one, his leg hits in and out simultaneously and just like a foot being half in and half out at the same time, it's no catch...but like you said, it wound up not mattering since they scored anyway.

You are thinking of the wrong TD. The first one (when the receiver was STANDING) was an incomplete pass - he DID NOT have control YET when his foot was in bounds. He gained control AFTER he was out of bounds. In either case, it doesn't matter, Indiana scored a TD on the NEXT play anyway.

The "28-14" or "sliding" TD replay is what he was referring to. They showed a very good snapshot on ESPN Sportscenter that CLEARLY shows the receiver DID NOT have his foot on the ground when he made the catch. HIS KNEE HIT THE GROUND FIRST - OUT OF BOUNDS. The overturn WAS THE CORRECT CALL.

That being said, Davie kind of ticked me off as well. I really liked him in 2002 when he did several Iowa games. Then he seemed to know the team and appeared very knowledgeable. Yesterday, he and Mark Jones just sounded ignorant (and Indiana homers for most of the game). I will chalk it up to not being familiar with Iowa - not having done one of their games this year. But I expected better from those two.

Last edited:

PLEASE stop making stupid posts like this people!! You sound like clown fans. It really is embarassing.

Not true on that back of the endzone play SR...when the receiver's foot is down, inbounds, the ball is at his wrists, not in his hands...he doesn't get it in his hands until his foot is out. As for the other one, his leg hits in and out simultaneously and just like a foot being half in and half out at the same time, it's no catch...but like you said, it wound up not mattering since they scored anyway.

DING DING DING!!!!! We have a winner!!!!! Go watch the replay...the referree did not announce why the play was reversed and the announcers sure couldnt figure anything out on their own.

He has the ball in his hands when his knee and toe hit almost simulataneously (I thought the toe was a hair first) then his body hits the ground and ball pops......Its not a catch so it doesnt matter whether toe or knee hit first.

That play was way to close to be overturned. That was a bad call by the review booth.

Wow! This is probably the dumbest post that I have read today. Some of you really need to stop trying to find fights. Mark Jones and Bob Davie love us. They have been very complimentary to us over the years. They said that it was nice to be back in the Big Ten. We also almost always win when they do the games. I hope you've been drinking a lot.

He was biased and wouldn't let it go. Acted like he was the coach on the field just like Lynch all day long.
When has it ever been ok to have fourteen players on the field when calling a play?

In my opinion Bob Davie has always shown respect for Kirk Ferentz and Iowa Football. I don't know what a lot of you people are listening to. He frequently talked about the resiliency of the team and the things they have done right this year like win the field position battle and not making critical mistakes.
Were there some moments when he was critical? Of course but that happens in a game when you turn the ball over 6 times including 4 in the third quarter. I'm not sure exactly what you all want an announcer to say about about the Hawks when that is happening.
As for the calls I thought they were horrible as well especially the helmet to helmet call. Like many of you, I love Chris Spielman and I have a feeling he would say that was the referees not letting football players play football. With that said, I think the calls had a minimal influence in the game as it seemed the football gods seemed to get us back after anything controversial happened.

Latest posts