Bo Ryan has a problem now.

Is this a real thread??

wisconsin nearly just won a national title and beat a 38-0 Kentucky squad and Bo Ryan is going to have a "real" problem??

wow, ok

Is this a real thread??

wisconsin nearly just won a national title and beat a 38-0 Kentucky squad and Bo Ryan is going to have a "real" problem??

wow, ok
Yes. It's a real thread. Bo Ryan won't have a problem with the past as long as he can maintain what he's accomplished or retires in the near future. It took him 13 years to reach his 1st Final Four and another to reach his first Title game. What if he never comes close again? What if he coaches 7 more years and never makes it past the Sweet 16? Ben Howland made the Title game and followed that up with 2 more trips to the FF. That's a great 3 year run. He followed that up with 5 straight seasons never making it past the 2nd round and it got him fired.
That's the point of this thread. With accomplishment comes expectations. Expectations aren't always met. That's all I'm saying. Now, go back to your Scout Badger board, ActiveBadger. You'll get about as much circle jerking about Bo Ryan as you will get hand wringing over next season's starting 5.

Yes. It's a real thread. Bo Ryan won't have a problem with the past as long as he can maintain what he's accomplished or retires in the near future. It took him 13 years to reach his 1st Final Four and another to reach his first Title game. What if he never comes close again? What if he coaches 7 more years and never makes it past the Sweet 16? Ben Howland made the Title game and followed that up with 2 more trips to the FF. That's a great 3 year run. He followed that up with 5 straight seasons never making it past the 2nd round and it got him fired.
That's the point of this thread. With accomplishment comes expectations. Expectations aren't always met. That's all I'm saying. Now, go back to your Scout Badger board, ActiveBadger. You'll get about as much circle jerking about Bo Ryan as you will get hand wringing over next season's starting 5.

Apples to oranges comparison UCLA is a blue blood program Wisconsin isn't.....Wisconsin knows who they are at least their administration does if this happens to be the peak of the Bo Ryan era so be it, they will be in the tourney most years.

Apples to oranges comparison UCLA is a blue blood program Wisconsin isn't.....Wisconsin knows who they are at least their administration does if this happens to be the peak of the Bo Ryan era so be it, they will be in the tourney most years.
And Kirk Ferentz? He's not coaching a blue blood program. 5 years ago, KF won a BCS game. A new AD will most likely send him packing and a lot of Iowa fans would too. Why? Because he hasn't been able to maintain expectations. And I don't think we have "blue blood" kind of expectations.

And Howland could recruit and he was at a blue blood program that's easy to recruit to. Bo's a hell of a coach and I doubt he'll allow mediocrity to set in. He'll make the tourny every year. I doubt he ever makes it to another Final Four. If Badger fans and the new AD (Barry can't work forever) are ok with that, so am I.

And Kirk Ferentz? He's not coaching a blue blood program. 5 years ago, KF won a BCS game. A new AD will most likely send him packing and a lot of Iowa fans would too. Why? Because he hasn't been able to maintain expectations. And I don't think we have "blue blood" kind of expectations.

And Howland could recruit and he was at a blue blood program that's easy to recruit to. Bo's a hell of a coach and I doubt he'll allow mediocrity to set in. He'll make the tourny every year. I doubt he ever makes it to another Final Four. If Badger fans and the new AD (Barry can't work forever) are ok with that, so am I.

You are making ZERO accurate comparisons. The Howland/UCLA comparison is absurd. Howland was ousted in large part due to off the court issues, recruiting issues that nearly led to NCAA coming in, players getting in trouble with the law/drugs.

Bo Ryan and Ferentz are terrible comparisons as well. First off it's a totally different sport and you're talking about a coach that makes the NCAA tourney every year, just played for a championship to a coach that hasn't made the post season bowl game in some years where you only need to finish .500 to do so and more than 60% of teams make bowls.

just give it up dude

You are making ZERO accurate comparisons. The Howland/UCLA comparison is absurd. Howland was ousted in large part due to off the court issues, recruiting issues that nearly led to NCAA coming in, players getting in trouble with the law/drugs.

Bo Ryan and Ferentz are terrible comparisons as well. First off it's a totally different sport and you're talking about a coach that makes the NCAA tourney every year, just played for a championship to a coach that hasn't made the post season bowl game in some years where you only need to finish .500 to do so and more than 60% of teams make bowls.

just give it up dude
They aren't comparisons, dolt. They are examples of how quickly coaches can go from the top to the bottom and vice versa. It's not something I am saying WILL HAPPEN. I'm saying that it's a problem Bo Ryan will have going forward. You don't see it now because the mountain top has just been reached. But you'll see it if Bo gets bounced out of the 2nd round 3 or 4 seasons in a row. The fact that you can't imagine the possibility is what makes you a fool. It's not that hard to understand.

They aren't comparisons, dolt. They are examples of how quickly coaches can go from the top to the bottom and vice versa. It's not something I am saying WILL HAPPEN. I'm saying that it's a problem Bo Ryan will have going forward. You don't see it now because the mountain top has just been reached. But you'll see it if Bo gets bounced out of the 2nd round 3 or 4 seasons in a row. The fact that you can't imagine the possibility is what makes you a fool. It's not that hard to understand.

Well said. Past success doesn't guarantee future success, having good/great players does. They just have nothing coming back from last year. All good things, all streaks come to an end, it is just the way it works

Well said. Past success doesn't guarantee future success, having good/great players does. They just have nothing coming back from last year. All good things, all streaks come to an end, it is just the way it works
Well said? Anyone who agrees with this knob goblin is a doosh.

Lightning should be put down

Imo, I think they are.....Maybe i am giving badger fan too much credit I think they are self aware, they know who they are and where they fit in. Most of the fan base realize what they did the last couple of years has been special.

Imo, I think they are.....Maybe i am giving badger fan too much credit I think they are self aware, they know who they are and where they fit in. Most of the fan base realize what they did the last couple of years has been special.

You are giving Becky fans too much credit. They think they are entitled in finishing 4th or better. I don't blame em, as Bo had done it 14 straight years....but its gonna stop at 14, you can betcha houzz on that.

Well said? Anyone who agrees with this knob goblin is a doosh.

Lightning should be put down
If you think you're the guy to do it, just let me know where and when, cup cake. If you think losing to an old man in basketball would be embarrassing, me slapping you around like a little ***** probably wouldn't appeal to you either.

If you think you're the guy to do it, just let me know where and when, cup cake. If you think losing to an old man in basketball would be embarrassing, me slapping you around like a little ***** probably wouldn't appeal to you either.

Internet tough guy got to love them....

PLEAASEEEE ID LOVE TO.

Looks like lightnings got his keyboard muscles going... NIIIIICE, please keep me posted ya old fart

PLEAASEEEE ID LOVE TO.

Looks like lightnings got his keyboard muscles going... NIIIIICE, please keep me posted ya old fart

I live in CR. If you want to put me down. It doesn't take a tough guy to get the drop on a plonker like you. I'm sure your mom beats you on a regular basis, any time You're feeling brave enough to come out of the basement. Which I'm guessing isn't very often.

Last edited:
Is success in basketball really an expectation in Madison? On the level it is for football?

I didn't get a sense of Wisconsin fans traveling well for basketball. They didn't seem to have a strong presence in Omaha.

There are a bunch of schools that wish they had Ryans "problem"

Meh. Last year's run was out of the blue and those surprises are great, but this year's run where they were one of the 3 best teams is just a hard loss to stomach. A good buddy is a Badger fan and I watched the title game with him. Poor guy looked like he was gonna cry when it was over. I couldn't even rub it in. If Iowa had a team like this year's Wisconsin team and lost in the title game, I'd be freaking distraught. You know that really good shot at the title for a school like Iowa or Wisconsin is like a once in a lifetime thing and I'd rather get rolled in the Sweet 16 than endure the pain of losing a close national title game. Illinifan still hasn't recovered from what Sean May did to them a decade ago. That buildup, where you beat two very good blue blood programs in a row and then have to beat a third and are thinking about how this may finally be your year followed by a letdown is really tough to deal with.

Meh. Last year's run was out of the blue and those surprises are great, but this year's run where they were one of the 3 best teams is just a hard loss to stomach. A good buddy is a Badger fan and I watched the title game with him. Poor guy looked like he was gonna cry when it was over. I couldn't even rub it in. If Iowa had a team like this year's Wisconsin team and lost in the title game, I'd be freaking distraught. You know that really good shot at the title for a school like Iowa or Wisconsin is like a once in a lifetime thing and I'd rather get rolled in the Sweet 16 than endure the pain of losing a close national title game. Illinifan still hasn't recovered from what Sean May did to them a decade ago. That buildup, where you beat two very good blue blood programs in a row and then have to beat a third and are thinking about how this may finally be your year followed by a letdown is really tough to deal with.

That is what pisses me off about big time sports. There are a select few programs that REALLY play for a championship. They just take turns. DUKE..KENTUCKY..LOUISVILLE..KANSAS...REPEAT

Latest posts