BJ Lowery injury rumor

homerHAWKeye777

On the scout site there is word now flying that Lowery is injured and will likely be out for a month. Take this news with an appropriate grain of salt. However, if true, it definitely SUCKS!

It's been on twitter a little and also on some of the pay boards. If true then it really hurts out depth in the defensive backfield.

Shoot, I picked him to be the starter last year. He's going to be a good one. Hope it's not too severe and he can work his way back in to the fold. Hopefully Castillo has continued to improve.

The primary factors that potentially diffuse the loss, at least as far as I can discern, are that ...

- Castillo is very solid when it comes to executing our base D
- when we go to multi-DB sets, we can always slip Hyde back over to CB and then have Miller play the FS role
- we have a lot of decent guys who can help us to execute multi-DB sets

However, as I said before, it still sucks. It especially sucks because we're facing the most pass-happy teams early in the season too.

On the scout site there is word now flying that Lowery is injured and will likely be out for a month. Take this news with an appropriate grain of salt. However, if true, it definitely SUCKS!

Well it most certainly sucks as I'm a Lowery fan....with that said if we have a great year injury wise, we are still going to have some. It’s just going to happen, period.

If you look around the country several high profile teams have already had high profile injuries and many are fighting legal issues as well. We appear to have several DB’s including a couple precocious freshmen who are athletic and clamoring to see the field.

I’m frustrated, because I honestly believe Lowery is a super star waiting to happen, but we have other very good players back there. And really I know we sometime like to pretend that we can’t handle injuries as well as others, but with 44 kids on camp rosters, the reality is we handle them BETTER than most. What we can’t do is get down to our 11th guy at a position and still play at a high level.

Chad

Well it most certainly sucks as I'm a Lowery fan....with that said if we have a great year injury wise, we are still going to have some. It’s just going to happen, period.

If you look around the country several high profile teams have already had high profile injuries and many are fighting legal issues as well. We appear to have several DB’s including a couple precocious freshmen who are athletic and clamoring to see the field.

I’m frustrated, because I honestly believe Lowery is a super star waiting to happen, but we have other very good players back there. And really I know we sometime like to pretend that we can’t handle injuries as well as others, but with 44 kids on camp rosters, the reality is we handle them BETTER than most. What we can’t do is get down to our 11th guy at a position and still play at a high level.

Chad

It's also worth adding that IF the rumors are accurate ... at least he should still be back in a month.

The bright side there, if there is one, is that if things are as they're stated ... he should have a chance to get game reps against ULM ... and then still be able to contribute by the Big 10 opener.

Obviously it sucks that he'll be out for the ISU game ... and likely not quite ready for the Pitt game ... seeing that both of those squads will likely be pass-heavy. However, the conference slate is still the most important part of the schedule.

Also, if the rumors are accurate, and it is a broken wrist, it isn't an injury that will likely linger and affect his ability to play his position long-term like a lot of others (especially ligament and hamstring injuries) might.

sucks. teams will go after Castillo hard. this will likely be the worst defense we have had since 06.

It would have been worse if we lost him after the first game. Still some time to regroup a little.

I look for the offense and special teams to carry the team until the defense can get some experience.

Iowa State concerns me the most in the pre Big Ten season. If the Hawks can get by ISU then there's a chance Iowa can be 4-0 going into Penn State 5 weeks into the season with some playing experience built up among the younger players.

Also, if the rumors are accurate, and it is a broken wrist, it isn't an injury that will likely linger and affect his ability to play his position long-term like a lot of others (especially ligament and hamstring injuries) might.

Plus he'll be able to train, so he wont be waaayyyy out of game shape.

Chad

sucks. teams will go after Castillo hard. this will likely be the worst defense we have had since 06.

Damn Castillo gets some heat around here.

Give the guy a chance as a starting CB before we bury him.

The interesting thing to me about comments bagging on our players is….time and time again I have seen Iowa fans bag on their own, only to see them end up in the NFL years down the road…..

It’s almost a precursor to a good career……Castillo will be fine and we have other options back there.

I remember when people whine and cried about Greenwood being in front of Cato and Morrow who didn’t even start for their respective teams last year, though they were solid contributors. Fans just don’t seem to get it.

Chad

The primary factors that potentially diffuse the loss, at least as far as I can discern, are that ...

- Castillo is very solid when it comes to executing our base D

You know we respect your opinion around here homer but I could not disagree more with that statement. IMO Castillo is yet to prove he is a Big Ten level CB.

Because we know exactly how they're going to produce this year?

I love comments like this. If they struggle early on and throughout the year then throw a comment out there like that. Why can't we wait until the games actually start to make assumptions?

You know we respect your opinion around here homer but I could not disagree more with that statement. IMO Castillo is yet to prove he is a Big Ten level CB.

And you've had so much time to make judgements based on his play as a sophmore? The guys only entering his junior year, of course he hasn't proved he's a Big Ten level CB yet. I absolutely hate when underclassmen are ridiculed for not producing in limited playing time. How many times did we hear the same thing from people about Hyde last year, and last I knew he's become a pretty popular guy this year. Why can't we just let them develop as underclassmen and then form an opinion.

Last edited:
How many times did we hear the same thing from people about Hyde last year...

None. Everyone on this site knew Hyde had the ability from the first day he stepped on campus to be a big time player and the fact he had surpassed Castillo by the end of his first year only reinforced that. If you claim otherwise you are either making it up or you spent most of the last two seasons too drunk to remember.

Latest posts