Billy Taylor Named Iowa Assistant

He meets all the things Fran said he wanted in an iassistant. He has lots of experience doing lots of things. If Fran's best years at Iowa are ahead of him maybe Billy becomes the heir apparent..

Lots of people were probably like me hoping he would bring in an ex Hawk but there would've been a lot of mixed feelings whomever he brought in in that regard.

So, has Fran even interviewed anyone in the last 10 years as a prospective coach? This looks like a quick phone call to an old colleague and "done." Not that its bad. Is there another head coach who has done as little in terms of active recruitment of coaches as Fran?

So, has Fran even interviewed anyone in the last 10 years as a prospective coach? This looks like a quick phone call to an old colleague and "done." Not that its bad. Is there another head coach who has done as little in terms of active recruitment of coaches as Fran?

You should study up on the mandatory process you have to go through before hiring someone.

Fran is out recruiting PGs 24/7, no time to waste on coach searching.

Plus, he has his defensive camp for high school coaches this month.

Only so much time.

Thank you so much for the well researched documentation about Fran's hire. Can we all imagine how unusual it is for anyone in a leadership position in any business to hire a known quantity who can be trusted by his/her boss? And to satisfy many of the "we only have white guys" on the team, this gentlemen is African American and of course will only recruit black athletes. We win!

Thank you so much for the well researched documentation about Fran's hire. Can we all imagine how unusual it is for anyone in a leadership position in any business to hire a known quantity who can be trusted by his/her boss? And to satisfy many of the "we only have white guys" on the team, this gentlemen is African American and of course will only recruit black athletes. We win!
Might be a great hire, but long term, if Fran can't find a top level PG after 10-12 years and if his teams continue to play little defense, the fuse is burning for change.

Not sure what I think about the hire. I guess he better know how to recruit. Yeah, I get that is a really deep analysis on my part, but maybe Iowa should just follow the trend and put a former NBA guy on the bench.

Resume looks pretty good and should be a good addition.

Anyone know how an assistants salary at Iowa compares to what he made as head coach before? Seems weird guys trade being a head for an assistant unless it is significantly more.

Not sure what I think about the hire. I guess he better know how to recruit. Yeah, I get that is a really deep analysis on my part, but maybe Iowa should just follow the trend and put a former NBA guy on the bench.
A former NBA PG with some success and some cash in his pocket would work well.