Biletnikoff finalists announced: Justin Blackmon, Ryan Broyles and Robert Woods

Floyd's numbers have not been great this year. He is the only one on the list of Biletnikoff semi-finalists that I had an issue with over McNutt. McNutt should have had his spot, but Floyd had the pre-season hype. And this is coming from a ND fan.

I wouldn't say his numbers weren't great. He doesn't belong in the top five, but could make a good argument for the top ten.

87 catches 1000 yards and 7 TD's is very good especially without a decent QB. JVB is much better than Rees in my opinion.

My previous post I was referring to just talent and not based on stats. That is why I mentioned Jeffery and he only has 585 yards.

Floyd will probably be a top 20 pick in the NFL and I can't see Marvin any higher than a mid to late 2nd rounder. He lacks the elite speed NFL teams like.

I could see him being a Marcus Robinson or Michael Jenkins type receiver and being a good redzone target/possession guy.

It's all subjective with these awards. Personally I'd base it on SOS, Yards, TD's and receptions being the least important ofthe major stats.

SOS just to eliminate the weak division candidates like those from Houston who are in offenses where every receiver catches 100 balls.

Right now Blackmon is winning Receptions, TD's and barely yards. Even if Marvin eclipses him on yards this week, I'd have to give it to Blackmon for TD's and receptions. You also have to consider the fact that Blackmon is the key offensive player on a legit top 25 team. That's more subjective but worth considering.
You could just as easily note that Blackmon plays in a pass-happy system with a potential Heisman finalist at QB.

Put McNutt on Oklahoma State - how do you think he does compared to Blackmon?

You could just as easily note that Blackmon plays in a pass-happy system with a potential Heisman finalist at QB.

Put McNutt on Oklahoma State - how do you think he does compared to Blackmon?

Blackmon is a legit top 5 pick. You can play this game both ways. Put Floyd on Iowa and he likely does much better. Randy moss had Pennington and a pass happy offense, did he not deserve his awards? All we know is blackmon had more catches, more tds and more yards on a better team. He deserves his credit. The rest is subjective.

If Iowa threw the ball as much as those other teams did, Marvin's numbers would dwarf the numbers of the finalists. 7 FOR 6 BABY!

I believe Woods is from USC, which explains that one.

The other two are from Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Okie St is very pass happy so their receivers get a lot of chances. Not sure about Oklahoma but they also do a lot of passing I believe.

So, Oklahoma and USC...two media sweethearts, no big surprise there. I am just amazed that they also did not select an Alabama, LSU, or Notre dame receiver to fill out the three.

I believe Woods is from USC, which explains that one.

The other two are from Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Okie St is very pass happy so their receivers get a lot of chances. Not sure about Oklahoma but they also do a lot of passing I believe.

So, Oklahoma and USC...two media sweethearts, no big surprise there. I am just amazed that they also did not select an Alabama, LSU, or Notre dame receiver to fill out the three.

That is a really bad take. These guys are getting attention because they're great players.

Big Ten Winners and Losers: Week 12 - CBSSports.com
WINNER: Marvin McNutt

It's getting difficult to find a way in which Marvin McNutt isn't the best receiver Iowa's ever had. McNutt owns career marks in yards, touchdowns, and receptions at Iowa, and he just added the single-season touchdown mark to his single-season yardage mark today in a nine-catch, 151-yard, two-touchdown effort. McNutt made multiple highlight-reel catches in the game, including this juggling wonder that basically sealed Iowa's 31-21 victory over Purdue. It's a crying shame that McNutt, who's putting up these numbers in a non-pass-wacky offense, isn't being considered for the Biletnikoff Award, because he's been nearly unguardable this season

Yeah, this pretty much is right in line with Todd McShay's top WR draft picks. A couple of other names in there but in both cases McNutt gets no love. Imagine where he would be without his spotted two drops a game where he's looking up-field too early to make a move on the defender.

Yeah I'm sure the voters who decided this have watched all the Iowa games to see those drops...

Floyd's numbers have not been great this year. He is the only one on the list of Biletnikoff semi-finalists that I had an issue with over McNutt. McNutt should have had his spot, but Floyd had the pre-season hype. And this is coming from a ND fan.

Ghost would take all these guys before McNutt?
No way. Marvin McNutt's CHARACTER sets him apart from any of these guys. With Marvelous Marvin you have an outstanding Leader, Teammate and person. That wins you much more in the Long run.

Touchdown # 7!

I blame our athletic department. I think we have a long history of not promoting our star athletes. Guess it is all part of the "we're not sexy, we're just lil ole Iowa" syndrome and it goes back to the George Wine era.

They send out media packets to promote their athletes for All-America and All-Big Ten status.

The others, I'm not sure.

They don't go as far as to start a #PersaStrong campaign, if that's what you are talking about.

When comparing numbers to Broyles, you have to remember that he only played in just over 8 games this season before his season ended with a knee injury. In his 9th game he had 2 catches for 87 yards before going down.

McNutt should definitely have been at least a semi-finalist.

Latest posts