Biletnikoff finalists announced: Justin Blackmon, Ryan Broyles and Robert Woods

Vandy leads the league in passing yards. He is clearly the best pure passer in the league. He should be 2nd team all league behind only Wilson,but Cousins will get the senior nod. He laid the groundwork with his speech at the Big Ten luncheon in August,and it will pay off now. Media favorite.

Vandy leads the league in passing yards. He is clearly the best pure passer in the league. He should be 2nd team all league behind only Wilson,but Cousins will get the senior nod. He laid the groundwork with his speech at the Big Ten luncheon in August,and it will pay off now. Media favorite.

What kind of numbers would Cousins put up with our receiving corp?

I think Wilson is a better passer. Cousins is good too and doesn't have the talent at receiver Iowa does (McNutt has made a lot of great catches on poor throws this year). JVB is better than 8th or 9th though

If I'm ranking on talent only here is what I take:

1) Wilson - Most efficient QB

2) Robinson - Not in the top 4 for passing but his running ability makes him the 2nd best in the league.

3) Cousins - A more mature version of JVB, doesn't panic under pressure like James has in close games.

4A) Dan Persa - Very efficient passer with marginal talent around him. (74% completion percentage) More mobile than James in the pocket. Missing 3 games hurt his chances for any awards

4B) JVB

5) Martinez - Dual threat, but much worse at it than Denard

6) Nate Scheelhaase - Solid young QB

7) Braxton Miller - See above but less experience

8) Matt McGloin - Nothing special. This team with a legit qb would be tough

9) Marve/Terbush - Nothing special

10) Marqueis Gray - Plays on a terrible team, but he should really move back to WR

11) Tre Roberson - Good athelete, still a freshman (maybe there is hope?)

Now tell me Okeefe - how is JVB 8th or 9th?

I blame our athletic department. I think we have a long history of not promoting our star athletes. Guess it is all part of the "we're not sexy, we're just lil ole Iowa" syndrome and it goes back to the George Wine era.

It's all subjective with these awards. Personally I'd base it on SOS, Yards, TD's and receptions being the least important ofthe major stats.

SOS just to eliminate the weak division candidates like those from Houston who are in offenses where every receiver catches 100 balls.
This is where the Big Ten is going to lose alot of awards and post season recognition. Teams and players from mens conferences will get more awards and recognition.

Last edited:
Honestly, if I were building a team from scratch, I would take Boyles, Blackmon, or Woods ahead of McNutt. Stats are not everything.

I really don't have an issue with these guys making it. McNutt should have easily been a semi-finalist, but I would put him in over Blackmon or Broyles. Remember, the numbers Broyles has put up were through just 8 1/2 games. So I don't have any issue with him being there. He got hurt, but he played long enough, and he's good enough to be invited on that body of work.

Honestly, if I were building a team from scratch, I would take Boyles, Blackmon, or Woods ahead of McNutt. Stats are not everything.

Not basing it on stats, you would have to throw in Floyd as well. The draft experts seem pretty high on Jeffery too despite mediocre stats.

Not 100% sold on Blackmon, simply because he doesn't seem that disciplined. He has a tendency to get lazy, kind of like DeSean Jackson (only with more talent). But his talent is out of this world. And Woods, I've not seen him play much, so I won't pass any sort of judgement on him.

Broyles I would take over McNutt, no questions asked. He's very talented, but he's also a polished receiver.

Not 100% sold on Blackmon, simply because he doesn't seem that disciplined. He has a tendency to get lazy, kind of like DeSean Jackson (only with more talent). But his talent is out of this world. And Woods, I've not seen him play much, so I won't pass any sort of judgement on him.

Broyles I would take over McNutt, no questions asked. He's very talented, but he's also a polished receiver.

I would compare Blackmon more to Steve Smith. He runs routes better than Jackson but might not be as much of a deep ball threat.

Woods is really good. No shame in not being picked over him. Typical USC WR: tall, athletic, pain in the ***

I think Wilson is a better passer. Cousins is good too and doesn't have the talent at receiver Iowa does (McNutt has made a lot of great catches on poor throws this year). JVB is better than 8th or 9th though

If I'm ranking on talent only here is what I take:

1) Wilson - Most efficient QB

2) Robinson - Not in the top 4 for passing but his running ability makes him the 2nd best in the league.

3) Cousins - A more mature version of JVB, doesn't panic under pressure like James has in close games.

4A) Dan Persa - Very efficient passer with marginal talent around him. (74% completion percentage) More mobile than James in the pocket. Missing 3 games hurt his chances for any awards

4B) JVB

5) Martinez - Dual threat, but much worse at it than Denard

6) Nate Scheelhaase - Solid young QB

7) Braxton Miller - See above but less experience

8) Matt McGloin - Nothing special. This team with a legit qb would be tough

9) Marve/Terbush - Nothing special

10) Marqueis Gray - Plays on a terrible team, but he should really move back to WR

11) Tre Roberson - Good athelete, still a freshman (maybe there is hope?)

Now tell me Okeefe - how is JVB 8th or 9th?

there were several posters after the michigan state game saying JVB was 8th or 9th best qb in the big 10. that's all okeefe was referencing. he was making a joke that sailed over your head

there were several posters after the michigan state game saying JVB was 8th or 9th best qb in the big 10. that's all okeefe was referencing. he was making a joke that sailed over your head

Pretty easy to "sail jokes over your head" when you aren't reading every post and have no indication of sarcasm from text. Not to mention, it's hard to differentiate jokes/sarcasm from serious beliefs coming from Okeefe.

Last edited:
Not basing it on stats, you would have to throw in Floyd as well. The draft experts seem pretty high on Jeffery too despite mediocre stats.

Floyd's numbers have not been great this year. He is the only one on the list of Biletnikoff semi-finalists that I had an issue with over McNutt. McNutt should have had his spot, but Floyd had the pre-season hype. And this is coming from a ND fan.

Latest posts