Biletnikoff finalists announced: Justin Blackmon, Ryan Broyles and Robert Woods

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
It was bad enough that McNutt didn't make the SEMI-finalist list.

Oh, here's how they compare next to Marvin McNutt.

Blackmon 103 catches, 1241 yards, 12.0 average, 15 TDs
Broyles 83 catches, 1157 yards, 13.9 average, 10 TDs
Woods 99 catches, 1179 yards 11.9 average, 13 TDs

McNutt 74 catches, 1240 yards, 16.8 average, 12 TDs

He holds his own. Too bad the media bit it when they were filling out the semi-finalist list.

I don't think it's a given that Blackmon's numbers are better either. More Td's and catches, but 5 less yards per catch.

That's a real stretch. Using that logic, Dez Bryant would be having a better season than Wes Welker. Blackmon has had a better season without a doubt. Yards, receptions and TD's are more important than YPC. That said, McNutt deserves to be listed in the top 5.

I assumed these guys had way better numbers than McNutt playing in these pass-happy systems. Simply not true. Evidently the only stat that matters is the # of catches. Throw a bunch of dink-and-dunkers to rack up stats.

I assumed these guys had way better numbers than McNutt playing in these pass-happy systems. Simply not true. Evidently the only stat that matters is the # of catches. Throw a bunch of dink-and-dunkers to rack up stats.

No I think it has a lot more to do with what team they play for. Iowa isn't regarded very highly this season that's why they aren't giving McNutt credit. Likewise for Wright and Chris Givens who arguable have better stats than Broyles.

Blackmon is averaging a touchdown every 6.87 catches
Broyles is averaging a touchdown every 8.3 catches
Woods is averaging a touchdown every 7.16

McNutt is averaging a touchdown every 6.17 catches

Just another statistic that McNutt is winning in. McNutt is doing a lot more on a lot less catches than the 3 finalists... and yet he wasn't even a semi-finalist?

Please tell me what is wrong here...

This reminds me of when Banks lost to Palmer in the heisman race. If I remember correctly... Didn't Banks have better statistics than Palmer? I could be wrong, but I feel like that was the case.

It will be awesome if McNutt has a huge game (100+ yards and a couple TD's) in a win and makes the committee look foolish for taking Broyles over him.

Blackmon is averaging a touchdown every 6.87 catches
Broyles is averaging a touchdown every 8.3 catches
Woods is averaging a touchdown every 7.16

McNutt is averaging a touchdown every 6.17 catches

Just another statistic that McNutt is winning in. McNutt is doing a lot more on a lot less catches than the 3 finalists... and yet he wasn't even a semi-finalist?

Please tell me what is wrong here...

This reminds me of when Banks lost to Palmer in the heisman race. If I remember correctly... Didn't Banks have better statistics than Palmer? I could be wrong, but I feel like that was the case.

I'm too lazy to look, but I think Carson had more yards and TDs than Brad. Also, once again your stats don't mean a lot. Who cares about TD's per reception? Scott Chandler would be amazing in the NFL based on this stat and Wes Welker mediocre.

That's a real stretch. Using that logic, Dez Bryant would be having a better season than Wes Welker. Blackmon has had a better season without a doubt. Yards, receptions and TD's are more important than YPC. That said, McNutt deserves to be listed in the top 5.
Exactly. I'd put Mcnutt number two behind Blackmon hands down.

I'm too lazy to look, but I think Carson had more yards and TDs than Brad. Also, once again your stats don't mean a lot. Who cares about TD's per reception? Scott Chandler would be amazing in the NFL based on this stat and Wes Welker mediocre.

Well face it, the people deciding these finalists don't watch every game of each WR... If they aren't watching them play each game... then what else do they have to go on?

Apparently, what team they play for is the next most important thing and I don't think that is right. Do you?

The numbers don't lie and his TD/per catch ratio isn't the only stat or most important stat where he puts up better numbers.

Blackmon is the only WR of the finalists with more yards.. ONE YARD and it was on about 30 more catches.

I'm not saying McNutt is better than Blackmon but McNutt put up pretty competitive numbers and he wasn't even selected as a semi-finalist.

McNutt deserves to be one of the finalists going by stats and he was snubbed. I'm not sure how you can argue that.

Yeah, this pretty much is right in line with Todd McShay's top WR draft picks. A couple of other names in there but in both cases McNutt gets no love. Imagine where he would be without his spotted two drops a game where he's looking up-field too early to make a move on the defender.

Well face it, the people deciding these finalists don't watch every game of each WR... If they aren't watching them play each game... then what else do they have to go on?

Apparently, what team they play for is the next most important thing and I don't think that is right. Do you?

The numbers don't lie and his TD/per catch ratio isn't the only stat or most important stat where he puts up better numbers.

Blackmon is the only WR of the finalists with more yards.. ONE YARD and it was on about 30 more catches.

I'm not saying McNutt is better than Blackmon but McNutt put up pretty competitive numbers and he wasn't even selected as a semi-finalist.

McNutt deserves to be one of the finalists going by stats and he was snubbed. I'm not sure how you can argue that.

It's all subjective with these awards. Personally I'd base it on SOS, Yards, TD's and receptions being the least important ofthe major stats.

SOS just to eliminate the weak division candidates like those from Houston who are in offenses where every receiver catches 100 balls.

Right now Blackmon is winning Receptions, TD's and barely yards. Even if Marvin eclipses him on yards this week, I'd have to give it to Blackmon for TD's and receptions. You also have to consider the fact that Blackmon is the key offensive player on a legit top 25 team. That's more subjective but worth considering.

It's all subjective with these awards. Personally I'd base it on SOS, Yards, TD's and receptions being the least important ofthe major stats.

SOS just to eliminate the weak division candidates like those from Houston who are in offenses where every receiver catches 100 balls.

Right now Blackmon is winning Receptions, TD's and barely yards. Even if Marvin eclipses him on yards this week, I'd have to give it to Blackmon for TD's and receptions. You also have to consider the fact that Blackmon is the key offensive player on a legit top 25 team. That's more subjective but worth considering.

I can agree with that.

I think Blackmon deserves it. I just wish McNutt was at least mentioned on the list.

Its not all about the YPC or TD's per reception you're right, BUT when he matches or exceeds the competition in all other statistical categories, that would indicate to me that he is having a better or at least equal season. The only difference between him and the competition is where they play. Unfortunately for McNutt he isnt at Oklahoma or USC. The fact of the matter is he isn't playing at a traditional WR school and that to me has to be the reason he isn't in consideration.

Last edited:
Awards are subjective and have a lot to do with team success.

Look at this:
Vandenberg - 2624 YDS 26 TDs 5 INTS 149 QB RTG 56 RUSH YDS 3TDS

Banks - 2573 YDS 25TDS 3 INTS 157 QB RTG 423 RUSH YDS 5 TDS

If you didn't know these players and only saw the stats you might have a hard time saying either is significantly better than the other. That said, Banks was Heisman runner-up and Vandenberg might only be considered the third or fourth best QB in the Big Ten. Don't be surprised to see the sportswriters take Cousins and Robinson over James.

Last edited:
Awards are subjective and have a lot to do with team success.

Look at this:
Vandenberg - 2624 YDS 26 TDs 5 INTS 149 QB RTG 56 RUSH YDS 3TDS

Banks - 2573 YDS 25TDS 3 INTS 157 QB RTG 423 RUSH YDS 5 TDS

If you didn't know these players and only saw the stats you might have a hard time saying either is significantly better than the other. That said, Banks was Heisman runner-up and Vandenberg might only be considered the third or fourth best QB in the Big Ten. Don't be surprised to see the sportswriters take Cousins and Robinson over James.

Try 8th or 9th, pal.

Latest posts