Biggest hopes with new offensive coaches

deanvogs

Please see the title. This is what you HOPE will happen.

1) Will become more aggressive against lessor teams. It seems in the past offensive conservancy vs teams we should walk all over keeps the opponent in the game and results in losses FAR TOO OFTEN.

2) Simplify the passing game. For years now it has been difficult for Fr/RS Fr to come in and learn and contribute to Iowa. It really isn't that way for any other position group, so why make it so difficult on Fr WR?

3) Get younger on the offensive side of the ball coaching wise. If you want to bring in some experience I get that, but we need at least 2 if not 3 of the new coaches to be younger guys who can get after it recruiting wise.

Those are my 3 top "hopes" for what we see, what do you want to see?

More creative use of RBs and TE in the passing game, and in general more innovative in finding ways to get Wadley the ball.

More creative use of RBs and TE in the passing game, and in general more innovative in finding ways to get Wadley the ball.

I would like to keep the bubble screen to the WR that CJ was so good at throwing-not an easy throw-it's often an easy 6+ yards

Move the program forward. Don't let us be stuck in this.......
57514bb836d4a1b1a75c50a74f6bea57.jpg

When we could be this.......
8521932704178bfd985e7d94e5a9ba4e.jpg

Last edited:

1) Will become more aggressive against lessor teams. It seems in the past offensive conservancy vs teams we should walk all over keeps the opponent in the game and results in losses FAR TOO OFTEN.

2) Simplify the passing game. For years now it has been difficult for Fr/RS Fr to come in and learn and contribute to Iowa. It really isn't that way for any other position group, so why make it so difficult on Fr WR?

3) Get younger on the offensive side of the ball coaching wise. If you want to bring in some experience I get that, but we need at least 2 if not 3 of the new coaches to be younger guys who can get after it recruiting wise.

I wouldn't argue with any of this. The big thing I'd like to see is Iowa become less predictable.

1H1, I Iove the old chevy's....reminds me of my youth and that was a very, very long time ago.....I do like the meatier version that you posted.....I agree that's Iowa football.

I agree with everyone....more play action, more TE, more shots down field. And I akso want the nastiest, quickest lineman to help with that. Recruiting athletic lineman is key to having an "open" offense, where we see the play action, the roll outs. Would love to see a game in 2017, where it actually looks like 1981....scratch where it itches, fake punts, half back passes, less predictability....uh, Hayden Fry like ball....

Use the middle of field
More play action and rollouts
More running plays out of different formations - that don't telegraph we're running
Throw for first downs. No more 3 yard outs on 3rd and long

More quick screens or jet sweeps to the outside to keep the defense honest and allow the holes to open up in the middle of the field. Also, more middle of the field plays especially for Tight Ends. I think BF will use the TE more, especially after his background in NE with Hernandez and Gronk.

Get Wadley the ball in space
Line up our athletic TE's in the slot and get some mismatches on LB's
Better routes for our WR's - throw over the middle?
Get Wadley the ball in space again.

The coaches have often used that as a reason for why kids don't get out there early. I've never understood that either. First of all why would we have a complicated system for them when it's so darn seldom that they would be thrown the ball? Second I totally agree with you. Dummy the system down for a lack of a better word at first. That way the best athletes can just go play and not have to think so much. Nothing slows a player down more then them hesitating not knowing if what they are doing is the right thing to do. You can always add more to their plate as you go.

Hope? Simple - prioritize scoring. The offense is there to score, not just to avoid turnovers and run a little clock. Base all decisions - playcalls, which players play, etc - on that basic goal.

More specifically, bring back a consistent vertical passing game. And, go to a true mobile qb. If we're always gonna be a run-first, can't get gamebreaking receivers team, why not make the qb a legit runner?

I don't think it's about aggression. Being aggressive and failing is a recipe to lose to bad teams. We lose to bad teams because we don't exploit match ups. The offense has a system and tendencies and the players be damned.

I would like to see WR run routes that the defense doesn't already know what we're running.Like to see some mismatches and also would like to see a OL pass block better.

* Tight ends standing at the line of scrimmage
* If our opponents stack the box to stop the run - pass! (and vice versa)
* run the ball up the middle on the first play of the season. Cue the band to play "Thanks for the Memories. And then open up the offense.
*spread the offense from sideline to sideline with wider gaps
* run gadget plays and trick plays (more than one per season)
*play like they have nothing to lose

Oh. Sorry. I was having a flashback to 1979 when Hayden came and pulled the program out of the doldrums.

I am hoping to see the following:

1) More aggressive play calling on 1st down
2) At least 2 deep ball passes per half every game
3) Break from our normal tendencies of run on first down and the standard run checkdown at the line of scrimmage.
4) Put the pressure on defenses with mixing up tempos and no huddle options.
5) Once inside the opponents 40 yard line play the game to win and treat the field like it is four down territory.
6) Continued discipline with very few penalties
7) Get more guys on the field from the first game on. Get that experience which is needed when guys get injured
8) As Hayden would say scratch where it itches. If they can't stop the run don't pass it just to pass. Run it until they can stop it, same goes for the pass.
9) Open the first game with Wadley in the wildcat

Latest posts