Big Ten Tournament Thread

Michigan pitcher ejected. Caught using sticky stuff and found it on his glove. Hawks down 4-1 in the bottom of the 5th.

I knew it needed to turn into a slug fest for Iowa to have any shot in this game. Unfortunately the Iowa hitters could not take advantage of Michigan's tired arms while Michigan did. Iowa loses 13-1.

It's likely the end of the road for Hawkeye baseball as most do not see Iowa in the regionals. We will find out for sure tomorrow at 11am on ESPN2 when they announce the field.

Root for Rutgers to kick the snot out of the cheating Michigan team. If the Big Ten were to get 3 teams in I would rather it not be the cheaters.

Last edited:
I don't get why college baseball does double elimination tourneys. It would be easier to follow if they just made each round a best 2 out of 3. That would require 6 victories total and a max of 9 games played to win the tourney. 4 teams can go home after 3 days. For Round 2 you can play a double header if game 3 is needed. Same with round 3. You could be done in 7 days if it does not rain.

Michigan end up winning the championship. Any slim shot Iowa had at getting an at large probably ended with them winning. Big Ten is getting 3 teams in, no way they will take a 4th.

To me the most obvious question is, why does NCAA baseball structure its tournament the way it does? I don't know if it's even possible to have a March Madness in June but teams like Iowa and Rutgers shouldn't be sitting home.

The reality in NCAA baseball is this, The big ten is considered a mid major. You have to win your conference or a play a nonconference schedule like Gonzaga does in basketball to get much of a look as an at large. Everything gets evauated in the RPI just like every other sport and if your conference is week you need to make up for it and losing to Loras doesnt help (Iowa is the only team in the top 220 teams to lose to a non D1 school.)