Big Ten Order To Finish

sportstalent

Now that non-conference season is winding down, predictions on who is going to finish where:

1. OSU - Sullinger too much for everyone, plus Lighty/Buford can score
2. Purdue - Veteran team that is learning how to be gutsy and win
3. MSU - Backcourt will improve as Lucas continues to come back from injury
4. Wisconsin - Bo can flat out coach and it helps to have all that depth
5. Illinois - McCamey and Webber just can't coexist, most talented team
6. Minnesota - Good starting five and getting people healthy
7. Michigan - Surprise team so far and look like a team without Harris/Sims
8. Northwestern - Veteran group that has a chance to make NCAA
9. Iowa - Improving each game, Gatens/Cole set the tone for effort
10. Indiana - No depth and Maurice Creek shoots too much
11. Penn State - Talor Battle isn't as good as people want to believe

That looks pretty good to me. I also wouldn't be surprised if Illinois and Wisky flipped spots either.

My picks:

1. OSU- too much talent.
2 MSU- Sparty will rebound.
3. PU- Johnson and Moore enough
4. Minny- Tubby has the horses.
5. Wis. - Bo knows NCAA bids
6. Ill. - Dysfunctional,but talented
7. NW- bubble time,but just short.
8. PSU- Battle can win some games by himself.
9 Mich- young talent can ball
10 Iowa- plucky Hawks win 4 games.
11.IU- Crean back to the bottom,again.

The depth of the league is good,but can OSU or MSU really transcend and make the FF? I say yes.

1. OSU - same as others have said. Senior guards plus Top 5 NBA big
2. MSU- eventually they have to get it together don't they?
3. Illinois- To much talent here to screw up
4. Minnesota- With a healthy Nolen I can see them switching places with Illinois
5. Purdue- Cannot make enough shots without Hummel
6. Wisconsin- They are who we thought they were
7. NW- need to defend A LOT better
8. Michigan- Better than I predicted this year
9. Indiana- Future looks very bright to buy Crean time
10. Iowa- Will be a struggle but will not get opponents best shots
11. PSU- Coach is gone after the season

I would switch MSU and Purdue and put Michigan below Iowa.

Just curious, have you watched Michigan? This is a team that could surprise a lot of people. If you haven't seen Darius Morris, you are missing out, he is the best PG in the Big Ten right now. Their freshman are as good as anyone's not named OSU. We'll see how it shakes out in the end, but they are look good and only lost to Syracuse by 3, who pummeled MSU by 18 if memory serves me correctly. The only other loss was to UTEP and UTEP was in the tourney last year and lost one starter that was productive.
I will be at the Michigan game when they play Kansas, so we will know more about them after that.
MSU will put it together at some point during the season as they always do, so it wouldn't surprise me if they finish a little higher.

8. PSU- Battle can win some games by himself.

I am not enamored as some by Battle. PSU is a one person team that has done nothing, but go to an NIT since he has been on campus. Doesn't having a player like Battle attract more talent, or I guess, should it? Logically, one would think so. When you have a player that has the ball in his hands 75% of the time in all your possesions, he is going to score the lion's share of his teams points. He is a solid player with horrible talent around him, any team that plays them that is patient and plays as a team will roll them. PSU just lost to Maine and got blown out by an OK Maryland team in a game they couldn't score 40 pts.
In the end, I guess I can't totally disagree with you on your analysis of PSU because that is the reality of that program, I just cannot see them finishing anywhere but the cellar.

Just curious, have you watched Michigan? This is a team that could surprise a lot of people. If you haven't seen Darius Morris, you are missing out, he is the best PG in the Big Ten right now. Their freshman are as good as anyone's not named OSU. We'll see how it shakes out in the end, but they are look good and only lost to Syracuse by 3, who pummeled MSU by 18 if memory serves me correctly. The only other loss was to UTEP and UTEP was in the tourney last year and lost one starter that was productive.
I will be at the Michigan game when they play Kansas, so we will know more about them after that.
MSU will put it together at some point during the season as they always do, so it wouldn't surprise me if they finish a little higher.

Honestly, I've only watched parts of 2 of their games and they didn't look very good. I'm still trying to figure this conference out...hasn't been a great week for the Big Ten.

Honestly, I've only watched parts of 2 of their games and they didn't look very good. I'm still trying to figure this conference out...hasn't been a great week for the Big Ten.

Well, PSU and Indiana are horrible. I look for Indy to improve a bit but PSU will be horrible until...infinity. At least until they have the right coach.

OSU
MSU
Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern
Michigan
Indiana
Iowa
Penn St
With top 7 making NCAA Nwestern plays in first tournament ever.

It's a pretty safe bet that the bottom 3 will be PSU, Indiana, and Iowa. If I had to bet right now I would say

9. PSU
10. Iowa
11. Indiana

I just want Iowa to finish at least 10th in the Big Ten and win more games than last year. One win against a top four Big ten team would be great too!

Latest posts