Big Ten Media Day Sightings

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
People always ask me who I run into at events like these...here is a rundown from Monday.

When we arrived in the hotel last night, Jim Delaney and Barry Alvarez were in the lobby...

Got on the elevator to go downstairs to the press conference around 9am, and Joel Maturi was already on board...he is the AD at Minnesota and we chatted for a bit. I did not ask him if Tim Brewster has the leather chair for press conferences or if he has made a change.

Spoke with Gerry Dinardo and Howard Griffith of the Big Ten Network before the pressers got under way...they will be signing off from their Thursday night BTN show when I go on the air in the same room, different set, each week on The Big Ten Pulse. "So we're co-workers now," Dinardo said. I said 'Yes, I guess you're right."

Chitchatted with Tom Shatel from Nebraska in the lobby in between press conferences...the Huskers can't wait to get in the league, and their media contingent was blown away by how professional the Big Ten media event was compared to the Big 12. I believe Shatel tweeted that it was like comparing a classy banquet to a backyard BBQ. They were shocked that every Big Ten coach wore a suit when they spoke...

The BTN had their ICON series on display, with mascots with Big Ten ICON heads walking around...many of the Iowa media, including me, were hopeful to see the Alford version...but they did not make that one. So the photo opp was denied...

Spoke with Kirk Herbstreit for a few minutes...I think he might have the best job in the world.

Went over to the BTN offices around 1:30, and chatted up Chris Martin after he had gotten off the air from the BTN broadcast. I had him on my radio show live from the Outback Bowl 18 months ago...he remembered me and called me by name before I reintroduced myself...kids at home, the most powerful name in the English language is your own name called to you by someone you doubt remembered it.

Was walking around the hotel shop, debating McDonalds, a bad snack or room service...Started talking about Big Ten alignment with a former fellow Scout publisher, and we were debating if Penn State would want to be in the west. I didnt think it was that big of a deal, because they already traveled to Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc for road games. I looked up and Joe Paterno was walking by...alone. There were probably four people in the area. So I said, 'Mr Paterno, do you think Penn State fans would care about being in a Western division? Help settle this debate.' He looked at me and said 'It depends on whose in it,' laughed and walked away. That was good enough for me. It's freaking Joe Paterno!

Wandered over to the hotel lounge to see who was there, as that is typically a gathering of whose who...spoke with Gary Dolphin for a bit, then chatted up the BTN's Dave Revsine, who congratulated me on the show, etc. He was reminiscing with former ESPN co-worker Reece Davis, who is the host of ESPN's Gamenight show with Lou Holtz and Mark May...we talked for a bit...I think Reece does a great job on that show...right in his wheelhouse.

That gets me to about 6:00pm, where I returned to the hotel room, and I don't intend to venture back out until the morning.

Man, you're right about Kirk Herbstreit, but from where I'm sitting you've got it pretty sweet too Jon. Good work all day today by the way.

Man, you're right about Kirk Herbstreit, but from where I'm sitting you've got it pretty sweet too Jon. Good work all day today by the way.

The way things are shaping up, Herbie might have the only job I'd consider trading...and even then, I'd have to think about it ;)

you can rent a movie Jon, you know wife and kids at home and all. ;)

I have three books I am reading on my iPad right now...getting ready to turn off the computer for a bit and the TV...will probably spend about three hours i 'Comfortably Numb: The Pink Floyd Story' Loving that right now

I have three books I am reading on my iPad right now...getting ready to turn off the computer for a bit and the TV...will probably spend about three hours i 'Comfortably Numb: The Pink Floyd Story' Loving that right now

I think you missed the joke Jon, you really are a christian.

Jon, thank you for a behind the scenes look and i'm looking forward to hearing more in the morning. I watched a little of the replay of the pressers tonight on the Big 10 Network and the TV presentation was a 1000% better than what I saw on FSN last week. My fellow Husker fans who have never seen the BTN before are going to love it.

The last I heard, Mark Silverman called Iowa, "Iowa University," instead of the University of Iowa. I wonder if he can pronounce Ferentz?