Big Ten Expansion

What's best for the conference & Iowa?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel the Big Ten is going to go big or they won't do anything at all. The teams added would have to have a positive financial impact to each Big Ten school, positively build the conferences reputation in football/basketball, as well as fitting in with Big Ten academic standards.

I would like to see 5 teams added to create 2 Big Ten divisions of 8. I believe the 5 teams below would be a great fit for the Big Ten, although I've debated with myself on the feasibility of the 5th team being accepted due to academics.

1. Texas
2. Nebraska
3. Kansas
4. Missouri
5a. Oklahoma (Con: not an American Association of Universities member. Pro: *Nationally recognized football team *Maintain Oklahoma/Texas rivalry *the entire conference would be connected by state boundaries)
5b. Texas A&M (Con: *A&M isn't Oklahoma *Texas would not border another Big Ten state Pro: *member of the AAU *great football tradition)

Reasons why I believe these 5 would make the Big Ten better:
A) TV Sets added - $$$ - Over 1/3 of the nations population would be in a Big Ten state, the addition of these 5 states would increase the Big Ten population by 50%, mostly due to Texas. This is ultimately how the Big Ten will decide who joins the conference.
B) Other than Oklahoma all teams are AAU schools, so that would allow them to join the Big Ten's Committee on Institutional Cooperation creating a premier academic conference. (I still want Oklahoma in the conference if possible)
C) The Big Ten would become the elite football conference in the eyes of the media: Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, & Michigan.
D) Big Ten basketball recognition would rival ACC/Big East especially with the addition of Kansas

Divisions
EAST
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Indiana
Michigan St
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State

WEST
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Missouri
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin

East/West divisions keep rivalries intact and the divisions would be competitive with each other (unlike Big 12 North/South). With 12 games total, each team would play 7 division games, 2 non-division games, & 3 OOC games.

I don't believe distance between schools would be an issue as the longest distance Texas would have to travel in their division would be ~1,200 miles to Wisconsin/Minnesota. There are numerous schools that have to travel as far or further (Miami to B.C ~1,250, UTEP to E. Carolina ~1,900, Boise St to LA Tech ~1,500, Washington to Arizona ~1,200, Hawaii to ??? - A Lot)

Could they drop a team so it really is the Big10 again?! :)

I'd actually rather just play a round-robin and play three non-conference games.
A-freaking-MEN!!! You are now my personal hero DYK88!

Drop Penn State, they belong in the Big East.

If either Texas or Mizzou joins the Big Ten, and by all accounts they both want to, the Big XII will fall like dominoes.
What accounts are those? The PAC-10 says they want to expand.

Texas has a standing invite and does not go.

Colorado is mentioned with Utah, yet that makes as much sense as PSU being in the BTN.

No other teams movement in the BIG XII makes any sense in the world.

Don't forget, kiddies: the Big Ten Conference is an academic community as well as a means of organizing a series of sporting events. Because of this, I'm willing to go on-record as saying that because of their exceptionally poor academic rankings/standards that there is NO WAY Cincinnati, Kentucky or West Virginia will be offered admission to the Big Ten. Mizzou and Nebraska are no prizes, either, though they could be considered... they aren't nearly as bad.

BC, UConn, Rutgers and Syracuse are probably the best choices, but they're pretty pedestrian in terms of their overall sports history (especially football). Notre Dame is the best and most obvious choice, but that isn't happening... sigh.
Let's think about this logically with 2 fingers of old No.&7 over ice for a second.

BC: Hum, let's leave the Big East (how those idiots ever let that happen is beyond comprehension. I bet JoePa had something to do with it.) to go to the ACC so we can leave them and go to the BTC...yeah, we won't be looked at like whores will we?

UConn: Why would they leave a conference that they actually make money playing girls basketball?

Rutgers: Really?? Are you serious? So Iowa fans can get Vivian back? All I have to say about this extremely poor excuse of a public university is that their student body is on record as chanting, "NAVY s-u-c-k-s, NAVY s-u-c-k-s, NAVY s-u-c-k-s" this past season. Is that what the BTC wants?

Syracuse: No, like PSU they belong in the Big East. I do think it is seriously funny that people in here think of them as a "city" school. Now that is a joke.

The Big TEN needs to be 10teams, boot PSU.

1. Missouri
2. Nebraska
3. Notre Dame
If we can't get any of the above, then I simply don't care. Top 3 would benefit Iowa the most. Missouri would be perfect for Iowa's recruiting in St. Louis/KC. insert any Animal House comment you'd like. I prefer a 7 year freshman with hands over mouth at a university fraternity council meeting where the general term was... cou-b@##s%&*-gh .

Nebraska/Notre Dame both bring tradition but the Big Ten has plenty of that. May be better for the Big Ten as a whole to bring in one of these two schools but Missouri helps Iowa out the most.

1&2. Why/how would bring Missouri or Nebraska in help Iowa? Like kids there don't know there is a BTC program just over the boarder already?

UN and UM are perfect fits for Iowa to have awesome in region OOC games against anytime they want. UI does not need them in the conference to accomplish anything more than they already do against these programs. IMO, UI should have long term home-home contracts with these two schools. Forget FCS teams. Play UM, UM, ISU the the BTC every year and let the chips fall where they be. No Iowa fan could say they would not go to those three OOC games every year be they be at home or on the road. Put the pressure on those p-u-s-s-i-e-s (UN&UM) to play us every year. It will help them to lose to Iowa verses playing another lame program 3 out of 3 times a year.

3. the catholic school in South Bend,IN?, Really?? "F" them. The UI needs them like a cold sore at a pre-cana event. There is no discussion on this one.

Latest posts