Big Men in Portal

I don't like NIL as is. I don't think I am the only one. But, the system that is devolving before our eyes is not really NIL, and we all know this. The system is pay for play and the highest bidder is gonna win this game.

I don't care about the NCAA, whether this is its fault, whether it should be disbanded, and whether it is evil. I don't care.

I understand Iowa has a big athletic budget. But, I also know that Iowa will never be able to keep pace with OSU, Texas, A&M, Bama, Oregon, USC, etc.

The status quo is not going to calm down IMHO. It is going to get worse and there will be winners and losers not based upon who hires the best coach and runs the best program, but based upon who has the most billionaire alums.

I am great with change that makes sense. This doesn't. No professional sport operates with no rules on player comp and competitive balance. I don't care whether the market is a million or a billion that goes to the athletes. Them getting rich doesn't bother me. But, if one team can spend 25 million on kids, and the other 3 million, it is worse than MLB, (which I no longer follow).

I understand others feel differently and I respect your opinions. I just disagree that where this is heading is good for the sport or the fans that made it what it is.

Haven't banned a single person for anything other than spamming and breaking the OT rules repeatedly. For christ's sake @HawkGold has explicitly asked me to ban him on multiple occasions and I haven't. So keep the "ruthless moderator" card in your pocket.

You just couldn't stay away, could you? What I asked was for you to put up or shut up.

Have to admit, you are an expert gas lighter. Bully? Cyberbully I guess with a bit of entertainment.

This should be your new avatar.... you you you... bully you.... You really need to find a woman and release your frustrations. With a mug like that though....
1651779978574.png

The NCAA tried to hang on to an antiquated system and hoped Congress would bail them out...not sure that was the best move. You could be right; however, delaying the inevitable was their only move.
It just feels that way to me because what was the NCAAs argument against it? They just always have done it this way and it's too big of a system to drastically change? Well sorry not sorry when it comes to the rights of citizens and their own NILs those sort of things don't apply and that's how they seemed to have looked at it.

You just couldn't stay away, could you? What I asked was for you to put up or shut up.

Have to admit, you are an expert gas lighter. Bully? Cyberbully I guess with a bit of entertainment.

This should be your new avatar.... you you you... bully you.... You really need to find a woman and release your frustrations. With a mug like that though....
Stay away? I’ve been here the entire time.

You were the one who twice asked me to ban you, then shadowbanned yourself, then pretended to leave the board but logged in every day without fail for the better part of 6 months.

Stay away? I’ve been here the entire time.

You were the one who twice asked me to ban you, then shadowbanned yourself, then pretended to leave the board but logged in every day without fail for the better part of 6 months.
Oh master gaslighter. I just stayed away to get over you! I'm cured.

I don't like NIL as is. I don't think I am the only one. But, the system that is devolving before our eyes is not really NIL, and we all know this. The system is pay for play and the highest bidder is gonna win this game.

I don't care about the NCAA, whether this is its fault, whether it should be disbanded, and whether it is evil. I don't care.

I understand Iowa has a big athletic budget. But, I also know that Iowa will never be able to keep pace with OSU, Texas, A&M, Bama, Oregon, USC, etc.

The status quo is not going to calm down IMHO. It is going to get worse and there will be winners and losers not based upon who hires the best coach and runs the best program, but based upon who has the most billionaire alums.

I am great with change that makes sense. This doesn't. No professional sport operates with no rules on player comp and competitive balance. I don't care whether the market is a million or a billion that goes to the athletes. Them getting rich doesn't bother me. But, if one team can spend 25 million on kids, and the other 3 million, it is worse than MLB, (which I no longer follow).

I understand others feel differently and I respect your opinions. I just disagree that where this is heading is good for the sport or the fans that made it what it is.
I don't see how it can be much different. The value of each individual isn't the same. Schools, conferences, NCAA can't slap down any kind of restriction upon what any kid can make from a 3rd party willing to pay them.

Will it change things and affect where kids and coaches go? You bet it will. However, there's still only so many roster spots at Texas and USC OSU etc. It's a game of musical chairs and kids will still want to play. You'll still see kids transferring all over looking for the fit they want to play. Because good 5 star players who have NFL futures aren't going to ride the bench at USC for 3 yrs almost regardless of what their NIL is providing them.

It'll be interesting to see how the next couple yrs go. I can't make any predictions anymore than anyone else. I hope Iowa does well like always. But they and their boosters have a say in that. We'll see how it goes...

I don't like NIL as is. I don't think I am the only one. But, the system that is devolving before our eyes is not really NIL, and we all know this. The system is pay for play and the highest bidder is gonna win this game..
Then how would you change it?

Is it up to you to decide how much an athlete should be paid? Based on what exactly?

What if I told you that what you do for a living isn’t worth what you get paid right now, and that I decided that arbitrarily? And if I told you that once you started somewhere you couldn’t leave for better pay or a better fit, strictly for my own enjoyment when I don’t even know you? Friggin ludicrous.

Again, you’ve never answered a question without dodging…how would you respond to a university that kicked a programming student out for doing some coding on the side and making money with his talents? Or how about an electrical engineer who was so bright that he got paid to work on a project for GE while still going to school? Would you kick that kid out? Hell no. He’d be celebrated.

But you want kids you’ve never met to play a sport strictly for your enjoyment, and never to be allowed to change schools, (again—strictly for your nostalgia and enjoyment), and never to be able to earn a dime beyond a college scholarship. Yeeeaaahhh…that’s not ridiculous or anything.

Do there have to be rules on how much money a kid can make? Because some 60 year old dude ten states away who’s never met that kid says so?

I would be relieved if any $$ earned via NIL was evenly distributed among the whole team. Maybe a bonus for those who are attracting the $$. Or other stipulations, like on the 3 deep, or with a certain GPA, or not eligible until their junior year. I would think the Iowa Athletic Department could design the program. Yeah, well. Blast away. Just some thoughts.

I would be relieved if any $$ earned via NIL was evenly distributed among the whole team. Maybe a bonus for those who are attracting the $$. Or other stipulations, like on the 3 deep, or with a certain GPA, or not eligible until their junior year. I would think the Iowa Athletic Department could design the program. Yeah, well. Blast away. Just some thoughts.
Noble idea but would never fly. That would be like requiring a sales staff to evenly divvy up it's commission. The top salespeople would howl at the moon over it.

I don't think you are ruthless, I just think you make things personal when they don't need to be. You also fancy yourself as a pretend bully. This Board could be a lot more civil, but the tone is set from the top.
We'll he aint going away. Yes it would be more civil. The problem is it's down to about nothing and he can't ban anyone. This is him behind his keyboard. After awhile he kind of grows on you in a weird sort of way. He's nicer than Dean....

1651802994757.png

I believe Isiah Thomas stated Michigan State came in behind Indiana for his services.
Could have been. Like Indiana, they had an immediate need for a point guard. Iowa on the other hand had this dude named Lester at the point.

Three notes however:

Isiah' mother Mary Thomas loved Lute and Bobbi and was lifelong friends with Bobbi. Mary was also close friends with Nadine Lester.

Lute would have figured out a way to get Thomas and Lester on the floor at the same time and a team with that backcourt may have been outlawed by their other coaches in the B1G.

Guess who would have filled in at the point when Lester went down for most of the conference schedule? With Kenny Arnold to play along side and/or back up.

It seems NIL may influenced the decisions of the two big men targeted more than I thought from what I'm hearing now. Some coaches at UI are frustrated.

I don't see how it can be much different. The value of each individual isn't the same. Schools, conferences, NCAA can't slap down any kind of restriction upon what any kid can make from a 3rd party willing to pay them.

Will it change things and affect where kids and coaches go? You bet it will. However, there's still only so many roster spots at Texas and USC OSU etc. It's a game of musical chairs and kids will still want to play. You'll still see kids transferring all over looking for the fit they want to play. Because good 5 star players who have NFL futures aren't going to ride the bench at USC for 3 yrs almost regardless of what their NIL is providing them.

It'll be interesting to see how the next couple yrs go. I can't make any predictions anymore than anyone else. I hope Iowa does well like always. But they and their boosters have a say in that. We'll see how it goes...

The problem I see is the first look it will give the big dogs. Their coach will say "look dude, you are good but we don't start freshmen at QB and the chariot is yours next year when our other stud leaves." Or they will see a guy and say "hey, you know that transfer portal, you might want to hit it." And if a guy like Justin Fields gets disgruntled in a place like UGA he's gonna transfer to somewhere on par with Ohio, not Wisconsin or Iowa.

Guys down here are pretty stoked about Spencer Rattler, but I suspect that when you remove the elite talent level around him and give him a total of 9 games against SEC defenses plus Clemson in the instate rivalry game he could wind up looking pretty pedestrian.

It seems NIL may influenced the decisions of the two big men targeted more than I thought from what I'm hearing now. Some coaches at UI are frustrated.
Then maybe Iowa should get on the same page with some NIL willing boosters and start playing the game. This isn't something you want to be last at. Or get the reputation for being cheapskates. Both the football and basketball programs are so reactive to everything and not proactive. This was seen coming quite awhile ago and has been in place long enough that they should have more of a plan in place to entice players then we developed Luka Garza and Keegan Murray...

Don't get me wrong that's great. That gets them to take your call but if you want to close on difference making players now via recruiting or the transfer portal $$$ talks.

Get ready for the future, even when Fran and Kirk pan gold out of a stream where nobody else looked players will start using schools like Iowa to showcase their talent then jump to a NIL rich school. Barta needs to start yesterday lining up the NIL line to at least make Iowa competitive to keep relatively average talent home. Local Pizza commercial ain't gonna cut it.

Could have been. Like Indiana, they had an immediate need for a point guard. Iowa on the other hand had this dude named Lester at the point.

Three notes however:

Isiah' mother Mary Thomas loved Lute and Bobbi and was lifelong friends with Bobbi. Mary was also close friends with Nadine Lester.

Lute would have figured out a way to get Thomas and Lester on the floor at the same time and a team with that backcourt may have been outlawed by their other coaches in the B1G.

Guess who would have filled in at the point when Lester went down for most of the conference schedule? With Kenny Arnold to play along side and/or back up.
Interesting...oh well as we age the best basketball was way in the past...Bucky, Ralph, Lute and to some extent Mr. Davis. Now we hire coaches for life contracts.