Big 12 Death Clock Ticking....

A couple of questions regarding Texas and independence.

1) Who would Texas play in October and November if independent? Do you think that BCS schools will line up to play them in the middle of conference seasons? ESPN doesn't want to show Texas vs NW Arkansas Technical School for the blind. If Texas can't play big games in November, what's that do for their BCS or NC bids? If it weren't for ND's traditional ties, their schedule would be a complete joke.

2) Non-football sports, where would they go? Can you see Texas basketball in the Horizon League or the Missouri Valley? It wouldn't happen. No other conference will allow them to play basketball only.

3) Politics. The same politics that kept A&M from looking at the SEC will put a huge negative light on Texas if they pursue independence.

A couple of questions regarding Texas and independence.

1) Who would Texas play in October and November if independent? Do you think that BCS schools will line up to play them in the middle of conference seasons? ESPN doesn't want to show Texas vs NW Arkansas Technical School for the blind. If Texas can't play big games in November, what's that do for their BCS or NC bids? If it weren't for ND's traditional ties, their schedule would be a complete joke.

2) Non-football sports, where would they go? Can you see Texas basketball in the Horizon League or the Missouri Valley? It wouldn't happen. No other conference will allow them to play basketball only.

3) Politics. The same politics that kept A&M from looking at the SEC will put a huge negative light on Texas if they pursue independence.

2) You don't think the MWC, Conf USA or the WAC wouldn't love to have Texas basketball? There are plenty of conferences that would let them play basketball and other non revenue sports.

Actually I think this was the only reason Texas stayed in the big 12 and will remain. They get this money on the side plus the largest chunk of conference money. I can't really see what they have to gain by going independent. The more likely scenario to me is a team like ohio state saying why are we subsidizing all these teams and not getting our market value.

Do you think the Big 12 is around is five years? I don't need a soliloquy, just a simple yes or no will suffice.

YES

And now I will add. Why would Texas leave the Big 12? They are in a well respected athletic conference where they are now given a ridiculous TV contract through ESPN. They can have their cake and eat it to....so to speak.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/01/19/Texas-ESPN.aspx

Texas is setting itself up to go Independent. When they can get $300 million to televise Texas sporting events and propaganda ($15mil/yr) that might include one football game, it's over.

Some will say that this helps the Big 12...that Texas can have the best of both worlds.

Well, what happens when the Big 12 football schedule lets Texas down in the computer rankings? What if that happens? Not far fetched. Oklahoma is the only other perennial power in that league. Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have flashed at times, but not consistent. A&M has some drawing power too, and I can see Texas bringing them along.

The minute the Big 12 doesn't 'do something' for Texas, it's over...these next five years will tell that tale. I think many, myself included, felt the B12 was at the beginning of the end after it was 'saved' this past June.

IMO, this sort of a texas tv network is the death knell for that league...and if the 'Forgotten Five' thinks its a 'good thing' that Texas has this new revenue stream, they are kidding themselves.

As an Independent, Texas can control who it plays and when it plays them. They can play A&M, Baylor, Rice & Tech to satisfy Texas politicians. Notre Dame & BYU are independents and need dance partners. There is six games. TCU is another Texas school that could play the Lonhorns in the OOC as it will need to bolster its Big East computer rankings...Boise will need the same thing. Then schedule home and homes with two or three teams a year...Ohio State, USC, etc...

The road map is getting drawn up..bet on it.
You sound pretty happy about this....

YES

And now I will add. Why would Texas leave the Big 12? They are in a well respected athletic conference where they are now given a ridiculous TV contract through ESPN. They can have their cake and eat it to....so to speak.
You are in denial. Which is the first stage of grief BTW.
I have immediate family in TX. Its common knowledge they want to shed the teams that will harm their BCS rankings.

They want to be independent and it WILL happen.

YES

Why does this do for the "other" teams in the conference? Not a damn thing. It makes sense now, Nebraska saw this coming and the whole Texas to Pac 10 was fabricated by ESPN to get the other members to bow down to Texas and have them say "it will be OK" and then create the Texas Network.

I have immediate family in TX. Its common knowledge they want to shed the teams that will harm their BCS rankings.

I don't get this reasoning for leaving the conference at all. So they're going to go play a murderer's row of opponents as an Independent? I doubt that, the easy way to the title game is to just go undefeated. A 10-2 team with wins over seven top 25 teams still wounldn't get in to the title game over an SEC or B10 team that is 13-0 with three or four top 25 wins.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/01/19/Texas-ESPN.aspx

Texas is setting itself up to go Independent. When they can get $300 million to televise Texas sporting events and propaganda ($15mil/yr) that might include one football game, it's over.

Some will say that this helps the Big 12...that Texas can have the best of both worlds.

Well, what happens when the Big 12 football schedule lets Texas down in the computer rankings? What if that happens? Not far fetched. Oklahoma is the only other perennial power in that league. Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have flashed at times, but not consistent. A&M has some drawing power too, and I can see Texas bringing them along.

The minute the Big 12 doesn't 'do something' for Texas, it's over...these next five years will tell that tale. I think many, myself included, felt the B12 was at the beginning of the end after it was 'saved' this past June.

IMO, this sort of a texas tv network is the death knell for that league...and if the 'Forgotten Five' thinks its a 'good thing' that Texas has this new revenue stream, they are kidding themselves.

As an Independent, Texas can control who it plays and when it plays them. They can play A&M, Baylor, Rice & Tech to satisfy Texas politicians. Notre Dame & BYU are independents and need dance partners. There is six games. TCU is another Texas school that could play the Lonhorns in the OOC as it will need to bolster its Big East computer rankings...Boise will need the same thing. Then schedule home and homes with two or three teams a year...Ohio State, USC, etc...

Bigger picture Jon, is that schools like Ohio State, Florida, etc, are going to look at this and say wait a minute, we have the population and the fan bases to support similar deals.

I do not profess to know all the poison pills that are involved with trying to get out of the Big 10 or SEC or changing how revenues are split. But I do not believe the current deals are lifetime in nature.

If this works for Texas its naive to think it will only impact the Big 12.
There are other schools in conferences where revenue sharing is more equal that may asking themselves if my value is x $$ on the open market why do I stay a member of a co-op.

Bigger picture Jon, is that schools like Ohio State, Florida, etc, are going to look at this and say wait a minute, we have the population and the fan bases to support similar deals.

BTN pretty much gonna trump everything in the Big Ten. SEC and B10 have revenue sharing. B12 was a fractured revenue share entity from the start, which was a part of the problem

I do not profess to know all the poison pills that are involved with trying to get out of the Big 10 or SEC or changing how revenues are split. But I do not believe the current deals are lifetime in nature.

If this works for Texas its naive to think it will only impact the Big 12.
There are other schools in conferences where revenue sharing is more equal that may asking themselves if my value is x $$ on the open market why do I stay a member of a co-op.

Exactly. This would kill ALL conferences much less the Big 12. This would be ugly if Texas would leave. IMO, if Texas goes, tOSU would be right behind.

No offense, but you Clone fans really have your heads shoved pretty far deep in the sand if you think the big boys of the SEC & Big 10 are going to walk away from the richest & must lucrative TV contracts in College Football. Just the SEC deal with ESPN alone is worth $2.25 billion and that doesn't even factor in what the SEC is getting from CBS.

It's the same reason why Arkansas will never walk away from the SEC to join the mess that is the Big 12.

Exactly. This would kill ALL conferences much less the Big 12. This would be ugly if Texas would leave. IMO, if Texas goes, tOSU would be right behind.

This is thinking that comes from being a member of a 'conference' where equity does not exist.

tOSU is not going to leave the Big Ten. They have been sharing revenues disproportionately to what they could earn on their own for a number of years. Minnesota made as much bowl money as did Ohio State this year.

This is big money...but the grant and research dollars that come into The Ohio State University by being a member of the Big Ten dwarf the academic side, something people always forget. And the Big 12 is not an elite academic consortium.

BTW, don't lump Ohio St. or anyone in with the likes of Texas (they look out for themselves). What does the BTN pay each of the schools right now? Texas is getting 15mil a year per this deal.

What does the BTN pay each of the schools right now? Texas is getting 15mil a year per this deal.

It's less than that but in the ballpark. Texas does not own any equity in ESPN; the Big Ten owns 51% of the BTN. It's a multi-billion dollar entity and its just 4 years old...its the most successful cable start up in history, far more than the NFL network

It's less than that but in the ballpark. Texas does not own any equity in ESPN; the Big Ten owns 51% of the BTN. It's a multi-billion dollar entity and its just 4 years old...its the most successful cable start up in history, far more than the NFL network

Thanks, I thought it was close to that. Bottom line, this deal does in no way shape or form help any other school in the Big 12 other than Texas.

So I was in denial this summer when I said that the Big 12 wouldn't implode (and it didn't) and now I am in denial again? Interesting........

Sorry but just because you wish for something to happen, like Jon is, doesn't mean it will actually happen.

Right now the only thing the Big 10 can hang their hats on is their Big 10 network and revunue sharing. Which, don't get me wrong, is really impressive. They really can't hang their hats on their athletics right now as they have been getting b slapped the past 10 years in football and even basketball at times. So Jon likes to laugh at the chance for others to suffer, b/c he is tired of his beloved conference getting made fun of by others. It's pretty easy to see

Oh Jon, keep your fingers crossed, I know they already are.

First off, with the exponential explosion of college football popularity over the last decade, I find it hard to believe that any one network is going to want to use a single team as their football coverage like NBC with Notre Dame.

For arguments sake, let's say NBC drops Notre Dame and picks up an independent Texas for their football coverage. Not only would this undermine the deal Texas has with ESPN/ABC (which is not a good thing to do, think NBA and CBS in the late 70's early 80's) it puts Texas in an incredibly tough position. If Texas were to be in this position and have a season like they had last year, it errodes away at the product they are trying to sell for future negotiations. It puts an extreme amount of pressure on the football program to continually be at the top of the college football world with the fallout from mediocrity being the financial destruction of the athletic program as a whole.

This line of thinking doesn't even bring in the idea of a possible loss of a casual fanbase that is angered by the idea of blowing up an entire conference out of personal greed, increased financial costs of traveling for all sports, and being able to fill out and maintain a schedule that would not only keep your team in a position to succeed (because they would have to) but keep the television executives happy with big time games would be near impossible.

Is it really worth risking your entire athletic department and overall financial health of your institution for an increase of $15 - $25 million a year (without subtracting the increased costs)?

The B12 agreement was to allow schools to do this exact thing, at this point Texas is getting their own network plus the stability and added revenue + AQ status that a conference brings. They are receiving their pie and eating the whole damn thing. All member schools are allowed to do this, not just Texas.

I know you are all B10 fans and believe in the communistic approach to paying the schools (very Un-American of you all by the way) but do you honestly think that will last forever? How long until Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State get tired of adding more value while the rest of the conference reap in the rewards? How long until Nebraska changes their mind on how they would like to be paid when this current situation isn't as beneficial as they feel it should be (we all saw that they have a bit of a history of changing their mind when things change away from their favor)?