Big 12 Death Clock Ticking....

BYU's network is currently free nationwide, you do pay for it but it's not an additional charge for having that channel available to you. I have Direct TV and I get it now. All their FB games are going on there now that they are independent.

The reason why UT's network could kill the Big 12 is that the TV deal that is going to be signed with Fox now and then re-upped in 2016 with ESPN is that that they need Texas for households. No UT means you lose Dallas, Houston, Austin and other major cities as part of the Big 12 footprint. You can't charge nearly enough to satisfy the requires of Texas A&M or Oklahoma. Remember - A&M wants 20 million guaranteed for staying in the conference.

No Texas means the league will mostly likely die due to teams leaving for better TV $ deals.

BYU's network is currently free nationwide, you do pay for it but it's not an additional charge for having that channel available to you. I have Direct TV and I get it now. All their FB games are going on there now that they are independent.

The reason why UT's network could kill the Big 12 is that the TV deal that is going to be signed with Fox now and then re-upped in 2016 with ESPN is that that they need Texas for households. No UT means you lose Dallas, Houston, Austin and other major cities as part of the Big 12 footprint. You can't charge nearly enough to satisfy the requires of Texas A&M or Oklahoma. Remember - A&M wants 20 million guaranteed for staying in the conference.

No Texas means the league will mostly likely die due to teams leaving for better TV $ deals.

So then it's not enough to simply be in the state, which TTU and Baylor are? I thought that speculation regarding the B10 adding Syracuse/Rutgers was to be able to add the populations of NJ and NY to the footprint, not for the legions of Syracuse football fans.

Could the B12 serve themselves by trying to add TCU or is it a situation in which demand for TCU, TTU and Baylor would be so small in Texas that they couldn't be part of an attractive TV/network package?

So then it's not enough to simply be in the state, which TTU and Baylor are? I thought that speculation regarding the B10 adding Syracuse/Rutgers was to be able to add the populations of NJ and NY to the footprint, not for the legions of Syracuse football fans.

Could the B12 serve themselves by trying to add TCU or is it a situation in which demand for TCU, TTU and Baylor would be so small in Texas that they couldn't be part of an attractive TV/network package?

Well you would get the footprint to be on the cable providers in those cities but you would be lacking the major ratings draw. You would still get the money per household but that's not enough to justify the investment that would yield $20 per team per year.

The Big 10 network already has the major names covered - so they want that per household bonus $. TCU is in the Big East so they are obviously out of this conversation but TTU and Baylor are not going to make TV companies jump and down.

Going 0-fer on NYD gains respect then, I guess? The Big 10 definitely wins the hubris award for most overinflated athletics ego, thats for sure.
5 football games does not make a conference. Name ONE conference that has the level of athletics the big 10 does. Then add the academic angle to it. Dare ya!

Latest posts