Better team?

To the OP , agree with evey point you made , there is no doubt this is a much better " team " than last years version , we may have had a better athlete last year , but the " player " we have this year is much better , of course this is only my oppinion , but one that I believe

To the OP , agree with evey point you made , there is no doubt this is a much better " team " than last years version , we may have had a better athlete last year , but the " player " we have this year is much better , of course this is only my oppinion , but one that I believe
I mean no disrespect to the players who aren't on the court, that could have been out there, it is just that it is a "team sport" and every team hatches out differently. I like the demeanor of this team. The heart. The IT.

Record-wise, it's pretty much the same as last year at a similar point in the season. This team is playing well right now. After the DePaul game this year, I thought this team was in big trouble. I don't see them going backwards to that place, but it is a long season and they have many tough games left. But I agree, the table is set for them to have a very good season.

We’ve played a much tougher schedule this year and have already racked up almost double digit quality wins.

The thing about having Cook and Garza is they could each play 30 minutes and only be on the floor at the same time for 20 minutes. They would be the focal point of the offense for 10 minutes each without the other one on the floor. If wouldn't take long for Fran to see who the better scorer was and game plan appropriately. As long as Fran could make the tough calls like having the ball go through Garza and making sure CJ got his 30 minutes most nights at the expense of Moss, we would be considerably better with them. That's a tough thing to do to a couple 4 year starters tho.

The thing about having Cook and Garza is they could each play 30 minutes and only be on the floor at the same time for 20 minutes. They would be the focal point of the offense for 10 minutes each without the other one on the floor. If wouldn't take long for Fran to see who the better scorer was and game plan appropriately. As long as Fran could make the tough calls like having the ball go through Garza and making sure CJ got his 30 minutes most nights at the expense of Moss, we would be considerably better with them. That's a tough thing to do to a couple 4 year starters tho.
Cook had few fundamental post moves, and a well below average jump shot. His biggest issue, probably since he was in grade school, is his abundant physical talent. He got by with pure talent but as competition upgraded, defensive talent and double-teaming often stopped him in his tracks. Garza has a fundamental understanding of the game, post moves, and size, with a burning desire to improve, but with less athletic ability. He also is unselfish and has the heart of a lion. When blocked or stopped, he goes right at them again. Feed him a lot of minutes and you will do well!

Cook had few fundamental post moves, and a well below average jump shot. His biggest issue, probably since he was in grade school, is his abundant physical talent. He got by with pure talent but as competition upgraded, defensive talent and double-teaming often stopped him in his tracks. Garza has a fundamental understanding of the game, post moves, and size, with a burning desire to improve, but with less athletic ability. He also is unselfish and has the heart of a lion. When blocked or stopped, he goes right at them again. Feed him a lot of minutes and you will do well!
You nailed it here. Well said.

I agree. But imagine a Cook who went into an Aaron White type role where he hustled his ass off and used his athleticism to get garbage points. I know Garza doesn't miss much. But if Cook wanted to be an energy type player, he'd probably get a few putback dunks per game with all the attention Garza gets. Feed Garza in the high post and he can nail the shot or throw it up for Cook under the basket. If Cook bought into the proper role, he would make this team a final 4 contender. But if he resumed his role from last year, we would probably be a worse team. That is of course assuming he hasn't improved a ton since last year, which he very well may have done.

I agree. But imagine a Cook who went into an Aaron White type role where he hustled his ass off and used his athleticism to get garbage points. I know Garza doesn't miss much. But if Cook wanted to be an energy type player, he'd probably get a few putback dunks per game with all the attention Garza gets. Feed Garza in the high post and he can nail the shot or throw it up for Cook under the basket. If Cook bought into the proper role, he would make this team a final 4 contender. But if he resumed his role from last year, we would probably be a worse team. That is of course assuming he hasn't improved a ton since last year, which he very well may have done.
Here is the way I see it...

You look at Cook and think...damn he should be better than what he is.

You look at Garza and think...damn, how is he that good?

I’d love for this team to have JBo. This team is an absolute pleasure to watch. It’s different from Fran’s earlier good teams, where you would just hope they hang on. With this team, it feels like they’re gonna take it from you and a real belief they’ll find a way to win. One of the most enjoyable Iowa hoops teams in awhile.

My honest opinion is that the Garza/Kriener combo is superior to the Cook/Garza combo , in both offense and defense , there again , only my opinion , CJ doing a better job than IM , Cmac better this yr than Cmac of last yr .

On the what if side of things , I was looking forward to what Nunge could bring this year , would've really liked to see if Pmac is as advertised , and JBo , what can you say here , foot problems couple years back hip last year , the other hip this year and still look what this kid produced , simply amazing , what I really wonder with him , is if ever healthy , I think we will all see a different defender than what we have seen , actually thought even with a bad wheel he was at least decent this year while he played , anywho , just some random thoughts on my part

My honest opinion is that the Garza/Kriener combo is superior to the Cook/Garza combo , in both offense and defense , there again , only my opinion , CJ doing a better job than IM , Cmac better this yr than Cmac of last yr .

On the what if side of things , I was looking forward to what Nunge could bring this year , would've really liked to see if Pmac is as advertised , and JBo , what can you say here , foot problems couple years back hip last year , the other hip this year and still look what this kid produced , simply amazing , what I really wonder with him , is if ever healthy , I think we will all see a different defender than what we have seen , actually thought even with a bad wheel he was at least decent this year while he played , anywho , just some random thoughts on my part

Maybe random, but interesting.

Kriener can shoot from outside and has a jump shot, plus, he doesn't mind coming off the bench. Plus, he is a high motor guy. You can't have too many of those.

Here is the way I see it...

You look at Cook and think...damn he should be better than what he is.

You look at Garza and think...damn, how is he that good?
Garza has committed to becoming a student of the game. This is his third time around the league and he has a knowledge of opponents that he didn't have last year.

He is avoiding cheap fouls and staying on the floor. He is now drawing the fouls by setting up opponents.

Players like Ryan and Cordell have committed to looking for Luka, and Luka is in turn working harder to bury his man because he knows teammates are looking for him.

He is completely removed from the effects of the cyst and is both quicker and stronger.

Garza is like a starting pitcher who doesn't throw 99 mph, but hides the ball well in his delivery and has a release point that is tough to pick up, giving the ball the perception of exploding on the batter. He has the post moves, the mid range, and is a three point threat. When he is hitting free throws he has the whole package working like he did against Michigan

Garza has committed to becoming a student of the game. This is his third time around the league and he has a knowledge of opponents that he didn't have last year.

He is avoiding cheap fouls and staying on the floor. He is now drawing the fouls by setting up opponents.

Players like Ryan and Cordell have committed to looking for Luka, and Luka is in turn working harder to bury his man because he knows teammates are looking for him.

He is completely removed from the effects of the cyst and is both quicker and stronger.

Garza is like a starting pitcher who doesn't throw 99 mph, but hides the ball well in his delivery and has a release point that is tough to pick up, giving the ball the perception of exploding on the batter. He has the post moves, the mid range, and is a three point threat. When he is hitting free throws he has the whole package working like he did against Michigan
A BB Jack Morris...take the ball, eat up innings, wear the opponents out with with endurance.

Get me to 500 or better in Conf and I'm all good.

Record-wise, it's pretty much the same as last year at a similar point in the season. This team is playing well right now. After the DePaul game this year, I thought this team was in big trouble. I don't see them going backwards to that place, but it is a long season and they have many tough games left. But I agree, the table is set for them to have a very good season.

I think this year's team is a better shooting team. Because they all can shoot from the outside, it opens up a post game and more drives without help side defense. Cook could not shoot the three and clogged the lane at times.This year, both of our centers can step out and shoot the three.

Garza and Cook together did not work. Not either guy's fault. It just didn't work. 2 guys trying to occupy the same space and play the same game.

Moss is a non factor. He doesn't help a team much over the long term, nor does he hurt it.

JBo is the real question. When he has help from the outside he is definitely a weapon. When he is the only option from outside, teams can easily shut him down and exploit him defensively. That really isn't that surprising. If a team has 1 PG and he is the only outside threat, it's pretty easy to shut that down.

JBo 2.0 or whatever, is a different animal. He doesn't have to carry the entire load. He looked like a different player this year and I can't wait for next year. I think Garza will be back and we'll be fighting for a B1G championship.

For now, though, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy this ride. Men's team kicking ass, women's team kicking ass, wrestling team kicking ass, football team has already kicked ass. That's a lotta ass kicking!!!
I agree with a lot of this. A HEALTHY JBo is the X factor. That to me is this teams only missing piece for us to be crazy dangerous. Instead of JT and Evelyn out there JBo putting in 30 plus mins at his best would be dangerous.. Don't get me wrong there's roles for those two to have but playing big mins isn't it for now.

The part that makes Cook and Garza playing together tough is that Cook had no range. They did well at times together it's just tough to be consistent when one has a hole in their game like Cook kinda had. Garza wasn't 100% most of last yr either with coming off his surgery. But He's a monster now. Just a monster. Moss won us some games with his play but often was irrelevant as well more often then not. I loved what he brought to the table skill wise he just didn't bring it all every night. That's tough to work with. CJF even if he's not scoring is doing good things out there too. He's going to be a marked man in this league really quick

Latest posts