Better NBA Prospect: Uthoff or Niang

Randolfo

It's not every day that we have two all-Americans in the same year from Iowa schools. In fact, I'm not sure that has ever happened before. It could be debated forever who the better college player was, given their stats and winning percentages and whatnot, but the unknown is who will make a better pro?

Uthoff has height on his side. Not many guys his height can knock down the 3 the way he can. Niang has toughness and a better body for the pros. If Uthoff can gain the same amount of weight he gained between jr and sr year, he could have an NBA body. If not, he'll be playing in Europe. Niang, on the other hand, was a stud in college, but I don't think his game translates well to the NBA. He's not quite quick enough to be a slasher, and not tall enough to be a big man.

I'd have to give the nod to Uthoff (the first half of the 2016 season Uthoff). It would be fun to see a Hawk play a regular role in the NBA for a change.

Uthoff no doubt, Niang was a good college player but he doesn't have the athleticism to play at the next level like JU does

Niang isn't a pro, not a chance at all. Nothing against him, he was a better college player than Uthoff, but this is the NBA. A guy who has to play the PF position because he can't defend the wing players can't be 6'5 and play below the rim. Just ain't gonna happen.

Uthoff has a shot, once again because he is 6'9 and can shoot it. I don't know if he will make it or not, but at least he has a shot, Niang has no shot.

Last edited:
Uthoff no doubt, Niang was a good college player but he doesn't have the athleticism to play at the next level like JU does

^^^^This. JU is far from a lock, the way the game is played now you are asking your bigs to play out in space and Niang lacks the athleticism on both ends to succeed. Those clean looks he got in college will not be there in the NBA. And defensively he is virtually worthless, maybe he could mimic Kevin Love, but he can't rebound or run the floor the way Love does.

Niang is destined for Europe, nothing wrong with Italian food or Italian women. And JU could very well be joining him.

Uthoff. He's made the cover of Sports Illustrated twice. Niang's best hope for Sports Illustrated is the swimsuit issue.

That's a pretty good question. Is Niang going to that draft camp deal that Uthoff is? Niang kinda reminds me of a poor mans Draymon Green... That's what he'll want to try and style his game after. He's not as athletic obviously and I don't think because of that his game will translate well. Uthoff will have a tough time too for other reasons.. Uthoff will get drafted sooner if Niang even gets drafted at all... So I guess I'll go by that.

That's a pretty good question. Is Niang going to that draft camp deal that Uthoff is? Niang kinda reminds me of a poor mans Draymon Green... That's what he'll want to try and style his game after. He's not as athletic obviously and I don't think because of that his game will translate well. Uthoff will have a tough time too for other reasons.. Uthoff will get drafted sooner if Niang even gets drafted at all... So I guess I'll go by that.

I see more Kevin Love than I do Draymon Green. That's just it you can't even compare him to Love because Niang isn't that great of a rebounder. Niang would get destroyed hedging on high ball screens and guarding the likes of Anthony Davis or Townes out in space good luck with that. Even a 100 year old Dirk would abuse him.

Uthoff is a better prospect, wouldn't surprise me at all to see both in the league.

Odds are even better that both will not make the league. You can make a good chunk of change in Europe, Russia, China, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

I think Uthoff will be a better pro. The NBA wants players with length and can shoot threes. They're not really looking for tweeners who play under the rim. Niang was an excellent college player despite his fondness for opponents genitalia. He's a good shooter and can make things happen and could carve out a good role player. Both will make a nice living playing ball at one place or the other. I just think more NBA teams play Uthoff's style. Niang may fit in with a team like San Antonio which we've been told they're a poor mans ISU.

Niang reminds me of Boris Diaw...anyone else? maybe it's the body

Diaw can play a little D.......Niang not so much. If he could somehow make himself a decent rebounder maybe he can become a lesser version of Kevin Love at that point he would have a decent shot at making it. I just do not see it. He is going to have to put all his eggs in one basket and that basket is being a niche shooter. Imo, that is his only way into the league.

First of all, Randolfo is as trollolololo as they come. Sure he has run back to CyFan saying "Look what I posted on HN!"

That being said, Uthoff is as soft as tissue paper. No way in hell he sticks in the NBA.

Latest posts