Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Ricky Stanzi-QBR 157.6

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Drew Tate-QBR 146

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • None because it’s going to end up being Stanley

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Off that list it is Banks by a landslide. He was the heisman runner-up. Stanley will be an all-timer at Iowa stats-wise by the time he is done but unless he is regarded as one of the top 2 or 3 overall QB's or overall players in CFB he can't surpass Banks.

CJ. Not even close. Give CJ that 2002 OL and receivers and he would have won the Heisman and a National Championship. Branks was a great athlete, but CJ was a complete QB.

Interesting that CJ is the only one of the 4 who has enjoyed any success at all in the NFL. That tells it all

CJ. Not even close. Give CJ that 2002 OL and receivers and he would have won the Heisman and a National Championship. Branks was a great athlete, but CJ was a complete QB.

Interesting that CJ is the only one of the 4 who has enjoyed any success at all in the NFL. That tells it all
By that argument, Andrew Donnal would be equal to Robert Gallery, because they've both had about the same success in the NFL.

I think CJ was a great player but he got his snaps on the worst team in pro football. Plus I think having a Grandpa that was a HOF executive has helped him some. All that being said, he was still a fairly high draft pick. So he does have talent that pro coaches wanted. If Beathard would have been healthy and had a better OL then I think he would have been the easy choice for first on this list.

Banks had Jones, Brown, & Hinkel.

Stanzi had DJK, McNutt, & Davis.

That’s a tough call IMO

Agreed. But for me, McNutt and DJK are 1 and 2 in the KF era and that about wraps up the argument. Davis wasn't bad either, certainly not a conventional "3rd receiver" type that we've seen at Iowa. He was as athletic as anyone.

Healthy CJ. Just my opinion but the oline can have a huge bearing on qb success, as does yac of receiver. Banks was awesome but did have better oline and receivers....and better OC.

What's interesting is how different of a qb each were.

Why do QBs tend to regress under KF?

Understand they need to play "safe" or they won't be in the lineup?

Poor OC, QB coaching?

Poor OC, QB coaching?

I think KF neuters them. I think he gets in their heads and makes sure they know they are not bigger than the program. He ties their hands with an ultra conservative offense and probably tells them not to improvise. Or else. I think there is fear of losing their job if they dont buckle under.

Just my opinion. Right or wrong, I stick by it.

I think KF neuters them. I think he gets in their heads and makes sure they know they are not bigger than the program. He ties their hands with an ultra conservative offense and probably tells them not to improvise. Or else. I think there is fear of losing their job if they dont buckle under.

Just my opinion. Right or wrong, I stick by it.
Concur, it has happened so many times, it is predictable, and disappointing.

Have they ever brought Banks and that 2002 team back to Kinnick? I would think that they did, but I sure don't remember it.

Poor OC, QB coaching?

I don't recall Stanzi getting benched much. Or Tate. Banks yes when he was #2.

The issue is getting to start in the first place.

I don't recall Stanzi getting benched much. Or Tate. Banks yes when he was #2.

The issue is getting to start in the first place.
The best I can recall, most of the Iowa QBs under Kirk who got playing time were submissive to his no risk, play it safe, 7-5, 8-4 is better than taking risky plays and going for a championship.

Tate perhaps an exception.

When punting is one of your best options, you end up winning some games, and losing quite a few as well, and..... staying a long time to rack up "wins," cash, and a legacy for your children to inherit.

I am hoping Stanley breaks out of the mold this year and goes for it a few times.

I don’t follow the NFL much since my Bears haven’t done much but out there but out of the QBs listed have any of them started as an NFL quarterback and showed any level of a sustained success in the NFL?

Not to be confused with the Hy Vee stock boy.

By that argument, Andrew Donnal would be equal to Robert Gallery, because they've both had about the same success in the NFL.
Other than the NFL part of his post, he's not wrong though.

I don't know of any Hawkeye QB, Ferentz or otherwise, who did so much with so little.

Latest posts