Best HS Wrestler in Iowa

Iowa will have a very slim chance of getting John Meeks in my opinion, he goes to alot of Nebraska camps and from what I hear really likes coach Manning. Like Groth said above his brother is already going there also.

1st Gadson is going to ISU and 2nd I doubt Iowa recruited him! He doesn't look like an Iowa wrestler in my opinion. He was very lucky to be in the Finals and he was not even in the top 5 most impressive wrestlers at the tourny. Here would be my top 5 most impressive wrestlers at State.

1. Brandon Sorensen
2. Nick Moore
3. Cory Clark
4. Dylan Peters (Denver)
5. Jake Marlin

Kyven Gadson was easily in the top 3, as far as most impressive.

Do you realize what his bracket looked like? And a lot of those younger guys were in brackets with a lot of underclassmen.

So I guess the coaches were lucky not to land Gadson if he doesn't fit our style? Obviously they disagree with you.

i think we have a lot of good wrestlers in this state and hopefully they will stay in state!

not sold on meeks yet but i can't take away 2 state titles of course..

i think we have a lot of good wrestlers in this state and hopefully they will stay in state!

not sold on meeks yet but i can't take away 2 state titles of course..

He's a two time state champion and placed second at Preseason Nationals losing to Levi Wolfensperger 1-0 in the finals.

Just what aren't you sold on? :rolleyes:

talking on a d1 level sir

What else is there to do to need that proof? He's in the hunt for becoming a four timer, and has already placed highly in several national tournaments. His older brother, who fulsaasfan claims isn't nearly as good as John, is already signed with a D1 school.

I'll take fulsaasfans word for that.

I guess I'm curious as to what your watching? :confused:

they are both good didn't i say im not sold 100% yet there have been MULTIPLE 2x, 3x, 4x state champions that don't do diddly in college! i looking towards the future here sir

people didn't know if david taylor was going to be a great college wrestler and i think he did what no wrestler has ever accomplished so for ppl to question him i think its fair to say he has more to prove until say he is best high school wrestler and will be a contender for d1 national champ

they are both good didn't i say im not sold 100% yet there have been MULTIPLE 2x, 3x, 4x state champions that don't do diddly in college! i looking towards the future here sir

people didn't know if david taylor was going to be a great college wrestler and i think he did what no wrestler has ever accomplished so for ppl to question him i think its fair to say he has more to prove until say he is best high school wrestler and will be a contender for d1 national champ

Its not about what they do in college, now your completely changing the topic. You said you weren't sold on Meeks as a D1 wrestling recruit. I'm asking you what your reasons for saying that are?

What hasn't he done that other top wrestling recruits have? Hell, theres a lot of highly regarded recruits who don't even win two state titles, Meeks has already accomplished that.

Your second paragraph is incredibly hard to understand...

David Taylor is a RS FR, so obviously nobody's going to judge him at the D1 level yet. But he was a very decorated HS wrestler and will more then likely by a multiple X All American.

So I'm still waiting for your answer.

plain in simple im just not sold as a top recruit for college...he will compete at d1 just don't think iowa should pursue is my opinion you clearly have ties

plain in simple im just not sold as a top recruit for college...he will compete at d1 just don't think iowa should pursue is my opinion you clearly have ties

"plain AND simple"

I have no ties to John Meeks at all, but I fail to understand why you don't think he's a top level college wrestling recruit.

And you have yet to give me a reason, your just spewing about nothing. Give me a reason as to why you don't think he'll be a good college wrestler?

to say gadsen was clearly not in the top five wrestlers is your opinion, i say he was ( my opinion). i was also stating i hope iowa saw something they didnt like in him that i didnt see, because they didnt get him.

"plain AND simple"

I have no ties to John Meeks at all, but I fail to understand why you don't think he's a top level college wrestling recruit.

And you have yet to give me a reason, your just spewing about nothing. Give me a reason as to why you don't think he'll be a good college wrestler?

I dont think Meeks is going to be a McDonough in college but I dont think he'll be a Sebolt either

I think one of the issues with Meeks being a good D1 wrestler is that he is only a sophomore. He is only halfway through his high school career. Obviously it has been a good career but anything can happen in the next two years; injury, skill doesn't progress, or he may just lose interest. It is fun to speculate his future, but it is a little over the top to assume he is going to go on to a great career in college.

I dont think Meeks is going to be a McDonough in college but I dont think he'll be a Sebolt either

I never said he was going to be McDonough, or anybody. I said he's a top level college wresting recruit, which he is.

The poster said he wasn't sold on John Meeks as a D1 wrestling recruit. Which is pretty ignorant, or clueless, take your pick.

I think one of the issues with Meeks being a good D1 wrestler is that he is only a sophomore. He is only halfway through his high school career. Obviously it has been a good career but anything can happen in the next two years; injury, skill doesn't progress, or he may just lose interest. It is fun to speculate his future, but it is a little over the top to assume he is going to go on to a great career in college.

Again, what are you reading?

Nobody said anything about him being good in college, but right now, he's very much considered a top level (blue chip, whatever) college wrestling recruit. THAT, is what I'm talking about. Nothing related to how his college career will actually turn out.

Thats why I think its crazy to say your not "sold" on John Meeks, as a D1 wrestling recruit.

lol this is fun...your telling me your SO sure that is a top level recruit as a sophmore no one is taking away he is a great wrestler and has great accomplishments thats why i won't back anybody or say he is a top 20 college recruit next year maybe at his weight class...no way out of all the other kids sir

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/high_school/125

he is a sophmore and has a ways to go!

Last edited:
In my opinion from what I seen of Gadson at State he doesn't fit the Iowa style. Go look at my top 5 I posted and tell me they aren't a legit top 5. I need to see more of Meeks to form an opinion. I am saying I would rather have Nick Moore, Ballweg and Kelly ahead of Gadson. From the 25 yrs of watching wrestling he isn't what I call and Iowa wrestler.

There are a lot of different opinions and I like that guys but lets take it easy here. All the names in this list are very good wrestlers and all are most likely D1 level guys as are some others that haven't been mentioned yet.

One thing I don't agree with is helgesontim saying that he would rather have Kelly ahead of Gadson. I completely disagree with that statement from a wrestling stand point. I'm very happy that the Hawks have Kelly coming in and think that he'll be good but Gadson is legit. If he would have committed to the Hawks I think that he'd be getting more respect on this board...

There are a lot of different opinions and I like that guys but lets take it easy here. All the names in this list are very good wrestlers and all are most likely D1 level guys as are some others that haven't been mentioned yet.

One thing I don't agree with is helgesontim saying that he would rather have Kelly ahead of Gadson. I completely disagree with that statement from a wrestling stand point. I'm very happy that the Hawks have Kelly coming in and think that he'll be good but Gadson is legit. If he would have committed to the Hawks I think that he'd be getting more respect on this board...

Fulsaasfan I respect your opinion and this is the fun of message boards. It will be interesting to see but I feel Kelly will be a better college wrestler than Gadson will be. I guess we have the next 5 years to see who is right.

lol this is fun...your telling me your SO sure that is a top level recruit as a sophmore no one is taking away he is a great wrestler and has great accomplishments thats why i won't back anybody or say he is a top 20 college recruit next year maybe at his weight class...no way out of all the other kids sir

InterMat - Powered By RevWrestling

he is a sophmore and has a ways to go!

He's already a two time champ, and has placed highly at several national tournaments. I GUARANTEE you that he is on every top wrestling programs radar. Does that mean he's going to be the best in the country at his weight? No, not at all. But the fact that he's already accomplished more then his older brother, who is signed with Nebraska next year, indicates that John Meeks is EASILY a D1 wrestling recruit.

Sophomore or not, its very very obvious. Whether your too ignorant to see that or not, is your own fault.

If you think that college coaches don't recruit sophomores in high school(and I'm talking ANY sport), your pretty out of touch with reality.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Latest posts