Best HS Wrestler in Iowa

helgesontim

After watching the HS wrestling tourny I will say I seen the best HS wrestler in a long time this week. Brandon Sorenson Freshman from Denver is an absolute animal. This kid is legit and will be a #1 recruit in the entire nation his senoir year.

I saw alot of good wrestlers last night. Not sure if I could pick out the best one. The kid is tough,thats for sure. You normally do not see freshman at 119 scoring points like he did. It would be nice to see him number one in the country his senior year. Unlike basketball,he will stay in state.

Last edited:
I would have to say the best would be Nick Moore. After all, he did just get his forth state title and did it quite easily.

Nick Moore's a very solid pick, however Alburnett's sophomore Tyler Shulista has practically walked to a state title. He's pinned his way to a 1A 112-pound championship and done it consistently all year. He's one of the huge components that has propelled the entire team to new heights, including taking third as team at the tourney.

No doubt about it Nick Moore. I wouldn't say Shulista is even in the same league he just won his first title and who was his loss to this year? Gadsen would be my second pick hate to say it since I'm an Iowa fan.

Nick Moore's a very solid pick, however Alburnett's sophomore Tyler Shulista has practically walked to a state title. He's pinned his way to a 1A 112-pound championship and done it consistently all year. He's one of the huge components that has propelled the entire team to new heights, including taking third as team at the tourney.

I would guess you are either a) related to tyler or b) from Alburnett ;) I would almost wager on it

I would take Cory Clark or Hathaway over Shulista as well.

I graduated from high school with Cory Clark's Dad. Glad to see him go through Hathaway in route to his second State title while remaining undefeated.

That being said, Nick Moore was incredible this year. The next couple that I personally saw this year would be Ballweg, Gadsen, Moreno (the older brother), and Kelly. Two of those four will be in Iowa singlets for the next 4-5 years.

Not that impressed with Ballweg,or his brother who is a Hawk!

I did not get the chance to see the two older Ballweg brothers wrestle in high school. I have just seen the younger one this year and he was dominant in the tournament that I was at. Word is that he is the best of the three.

I would like to see him match up against Cory Clark from SEP to first see if he is the best 112-pounder.

first name to pop in my head was gadsen also. man hes quick for a big guy. i hope iowa saw something in him i dont know about.

first name to pop in my head was gadsen also. man hes quick for a big guy. i hope iowa saw something in him i dont know about.

1st Gadson is going to ISU and 2nd I doubt Iowa recruited him! He doesn't look like an Iowa wrestler in my opinion. He was very lucky to be in the Finals and he was not even in the top 5 most impressive wrestlers at the tourny. Here would be my top 5 most impressive wrestlers at State.

1. Brandon Sorensen
2. Nick Moore
3. Cory Clark
4. Dylan Peters (Denver)
5. Jake Marlin

Thom was right that Iowa recruited Gadson and he chose ISU in the end. As far as the best wrestler though I think that you have to go with Nick Moore at this point no questions asked. There are a lot of great wrestlers in the state but Moore takes it this year!

I like Sorensen a LOT and hope that he is a Hawk in a few years but you could argue that he isn't even the best freshman. Marlin is right there with him in any conversation!

There are some other great names out there in guys like Gadson, Moreno, Clark, Ballweg, Peters, Levi Wolfensperger, John Meeks, Austin Blythe, Tanner Weatherman, Noble, Kelly, etc... This list could go on for a long time!

How come no one is saying anything about John Meeks. Isnt he a two timer and only a soph?

Mac--check out the article that Fulsasfan posted talking with John Meeks and Cory Clark. Nice coverage of those two sophomore, two time champs. Meeks' older brother is going to Nebraska, so it might be a tough get to pull him to Iowa.

Latest posts