Ben Rapistberger is the most overrated QB of the modern era

Let's keep it civil.

What are you arguing? I'm arguing who is a top 5 QB in the league. I think you take Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Rodgers over Big Ben and therefore he isn't top 5. Do you agree?

This isn't about who you would take; I'd take Todd Collins, Boomer Esiason, or that kid who played Corky on Life Goes On before I'd take Roethlisberger. I simply stated, based on QB rating, that he is consistently one of the top 5 QBs. It's that simple.

How is he overrated? He's never put into the Brady-Manning-Brees (and now Rodgers) group of truly elite QBs, but he's certainly among the best of the rest. He's won two super bowls, three AFC titles, he made one of the greatest throws in Super Bowl history. He threw for over 4300 yards last season, he threw for over 3200 with 17 TDs and 5 picks playing behind a patchwork offensive line all season.

To say he's not good is ridiculous. In a league where Derek Anderson and Alex Smith can get starting jobs, and Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez can take teams deep into the playoffs, saying Ben is not good or just a journeyman talent is idiotic.

This is exactly the group of QB's I'd put him in. People say "he's a big game QB". Really? Here are his stats in each Conf Championship and Superbowl game... the years note the regular season not the year the game was played in

14-24 226yds 2td 3int . 2004 AFC Champ
21-29 275yds 2td (1 rush) . 2005 AFC Champ
9-21 123yds 0td 2int . 2005 SuperBowl
16-33 255yrd 1td 0int . 2008 AFC Championship
21-30 256 yds 1td 0int . 2008 Super Bowl
10-19 133 yds 0td 2int 2fumb . 2010 AFC Championship
24-40 263 yds 2td 2int . 2010 SuperBowl

His career post seaons numbers look like this...

226-369 2,861 yds 19tds 16int

And he's supposed to be a "big game" QB? Please. Again he's average at best, and if he weren't playing for one of the best organizations in the NFL he would be a journeyman.

Eli Manning was who I was referring to Ben being better than, not Peyton. Matt Ryan wins ball games? How many playoff games has "Matty Ice" won?

Also, if you're giving Cutler credit because his best reciever is Johnny Knox, look at who Ben is throwing to. Mike Wallace, Emmanual Sanders and Antonio Brown were not big time names coming out of college, he has made them into a pretty dangerous receiving corp.

Gotcha. Yeah I'd rate Ben over Eli. I'm not an Eli fan.

Matt Ryan walked into the biggest mess you could ask for in Atlanta. Compare that franchise to the Steelers when Big Ben got there. No comparison. What Matt Ryan has done since he took over has been really impressive. Remember they were 4-12 the year before he got there and Bobby Petrino quit mid year. And Mike Vick had been arrested before that. Since he has been there they have been 33-15.

Mike Wallace >>>>> Hines Ward >>>>>> Johnny Knox

This is exactly the group of QB's I'd put him in. People say "he's a big game QB". Really? Here are his stats in each Conf Championship and Superbowl game... the years note the regular season not the year the game was played in

14-24 226yds 2td 3int . 2004 AFC Champ
21-29 275yds 2td (1 rush) . 2005 AFC Champ
9-21 123yds 0td 2int . 2005 SuperBowl
16-33 255yrd 1td 0int . 2008 AFC Championship
21-30 256 yds 1td 0int . 2008 Super Bowl
10-19 133 yds 0td 2int 2fumb . 2010 AFC Championship
24-40 263 yds 2td 2int . 2010 SuperBowl

His career post seaons numbers look like this...

226-369 2,861 yds 19tds 16int

And he's supposed to be a "big game" QB? Please. Again he's average at best, and if he weren't playing for one of the best organizations in the NFL he would be a journeyman.

Let's look at Flacco's career post season numbers
98-184 53% 1050 4 Tds/7 Ints

So yeah, he's really much better than Flacco. Average at best? Get the **** out of here with that, obviously you don't watch much football.

Gotcha. Yeah I'd rate Ben over Eli. I'm not an Eli fan.

Matt Ryan walked into the biggest mess you could ask for in Atlanta. Compare that franchise to the Steelers when Big Ben got there. No comparison. What Matt Ryan has done since he took over has been really impressive. Remember they were 4-12 the year before he got there and Bobby Petrino quit mid year. And Mike Vick had been arrested before that. Since he has been there they have been 33-15.

Mike Wallace >>>>> Hines Ward >>>>>> Johnny Knox

Matt Ryan also happened to join the team the same year they got Michael Turner. Having a consistent running threat is huge advantage for him, he also plays behind a very good offensive line.

And Johnny Knox is much better than Hines Ward, just because he's not as big of a name as Ward doesn't mean he's not better.

Let's look at Flacco's career post season numbers
98-184 53% 1050 4 Tds/7 Ints

So yeah, he's really much better than Flacco. Average at best? Get the **** out of here with that, obviously you don't watch much football.

Big Ben is an average QB on a very good team....

I wouldn't say Flacco is an average QB either as he has not shown much really at all. However to anybody who says Big Ben is a big game QB the stats don't lie.....

Big Ben is an average QB on a very good team....

I wouldn't say Flacco is an average QB either as he has not shown much really at all. However to anybody who says Big Ben is a big game QB the stats don't lie.....

Exactly right. 10-3 in the postseason, 3 AFC titles, 2 Super Bowl victories.

And Johnny Knox is much better than Hines Ward, just because he's not as big of a name as Ward doesn't mean he's not better.

:confused:

Hines Ward has averaged 83 catches a season for the past 10 seasons. Johnny Knox averages 48. Hines Ward is considered the best blocking WR in the league. He also scores more TD's than Knox. Johnny Knox isn't in the same league as Hines Ward at this point. Hines Ward has been a great WR for 13 years now

He's been in 7 big games. In those he's had one good game, 4 bad games, and 2 average games.

I can easily name 10 QB's I'd rather build a franchise around before Ben, and that doesn't even consider his off the field stuff.

And you can't really argue that Ben Roethlisberger made Hines Ward considering Ward averaged 100 catches a season the 3 prior seasons to Big Ben getting there.

Exactly right. 10-3 in the postseason, 3 AFC titles, 2 Super Bowl victories.

Exactly. QB's are compared and measured by SB Championships, I would say Big Ben has done very good for himself. I'll take W's anyday over stats, plus you have to remember, the Steelers D is top 3 in the league year in and year out. Big Ben is a good QB on a very good team.

The OP either just hates Big Ben or is clueless about QB play. To say Ben would be a journeyman QB anywhere else may be the dumbest comment I've seen on any board. In a league where Derek Anderson, Max Hall, Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, and Bruce Gradkowski are starters at time Ben couldnt be a starter anywhere else? Child please.....

Not sure how you can label a qb who led his team to three Super Bowls "overrated." He is not a flashy quarterback but he has shown during his career how to win. Think of how many qbs come into the NFL and fail. He fits the Pittsburgh system and he makes the big plays when called upon.

How many other quarterbacks in the history of the NFL have led their team to three Super Bowls? Of those that have, are they overrated as well? Big Ben is in an elite group so labeling him overrated, in my opinion, is way off base.

He's been in 7 big games. In those he's had one good game, 4 bad games, and 2 average games.

I can easily name 10 QB's I'd rather build a franchise around before Ben, and that doesn't even consider his off the field stuff.

Wow man, you must really dislike Big Ben? The one thing about Ben, is he gives defense fits with him extending the play, the guy is very tough to bring down. Is he a elite passer, no, but he gets the job done. I would take a small handful of players over him. What 10 would you take over him?

The OP either just hates Big Ben or is clueless about QB play. To say Ben would be a journeyman QB anywhere else may be the dumbest comment I've seen on any board. In a league where Derek Anderson, Max Hall, Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, and Bruce Gradkowski are starters at time Ben couldnt be a starter anywhere else? Child please.....

I didn't say he wouldn't be a starter, I said he'd be a journeyman. Everyone of those guys listed are journeyman. So are guys like Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon, Vinnie Testaverde... etc.

If Ben got drafted by Chicago he'd be with his 3rd team by now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIlpdsEA77M[/ame]

Last edited:
Ben is good for his team. Bottom line. He is NOT a Hall of Famer. Not at all. No stats to put him in.

He's what, 33 years old, I guess I don't understand the hate for Ben? BTW, I'm not a Steelers fan either. The guy had a bad game in the Super Bowl and still had the chance to drive his team down the field for a win.

Wow man, you must really dislike Big Ben? The one thing about Ben, is he gives defense fits with him extending the play, the guy is very tough to bring down. Is he a elite passer, no, but he gets the job done. I would take a small handful of players over him. What 10 would you take over him?

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Brees
4. Rodgers
5. Vick
6. Ryan
7. Eli
8. Schaub
9. Romo
10. Rivers
11. Big Ben

I didn't say he wouldn't be a starter, I said he'd be a journeyman. Everyone of those guys listed are journeyman. So are guys like Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon, Vinnie Testaverde... etc.

If Ben got drafted by Chicago he'd be with his 3rd team by now.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Not sure how you can throw that comment out there. Chicago would have loved to had him back when their D was the best in the league, but they had freaking Grossman and Greise.

He's what, 33 years old, I guess I don't understand the hate for Ben? BTW, I'm not a Steelers fan either. The guy had a bad game in the Super Bowl and still had the chance to drive his team down the field for a win.

But he didn't.

You have to take his off the field issues into account too.

Latest posts