Ben Jacobsen and the Iowa job

Ok fair point. I did say that. I'll stand behind it. I meant that....but in my defense, I was standing up for Ben as Jon was closing the argument. I do think Ben is smarter than to take the Iowa job right now - other than money...UNI offers a better chance to do what he's doing right now.

Either that or you're being two faced and hoped Jon wouldn't call you on your bs.

Either that or you're being two faced and hoped Jon wouldn't call you on your bs.

I dont think matt is two faced. When you talk for a living like we do, you don't always remember the exact way you said something, and sometimes what you say may not line up with what you mean perhaps. Not sure the case here, but I don't think Matt is two faced. I like Matt, and I trust Matt. I don't throw trust around lightly, but in my experience with him for nearly a year, he has earned my trust.

I dont think matt is two faced. When you talk for a living like we do, you don't always remember the exact way you said something, and sometimes what you say may not line up with what you mean perhaps. Not sure the case here, but I don't think Matt is two faced. I like Matt, and I trust Matt. I don't throw trust around lightly, but in my experience with him for nearly a year, he has earned my trust.

We'll have to disagree then.

Do you think this is all a mute point now that it sounds like Tubby might be moving on from Minny. I think that would be a better fit for Ben knowing he has recruiting ties in the Minny area.

I still don't understand how winning one big game (If they knock of KU) can translate in to long term success??

He still hasn't proven to be any better of a coach than McDermott. He may be but someone is going to have to take that CHANCE and I just don't want that to be Iowa.

I still think McDermott is a better coach than Jacobsen. McDermott was in the MVC when they were getting MULTIPLE bids to the tourney and was doing well. Jacobsen has been working in a WEAK Valley that has only been able to get one bid each of the last 3-4 years. Jacobsen is going to have to show me more than that.

I would have a hard time beliving Ben would turn down the lot of gold if it were his only offer. If he would have other similar offers to choose from, then you'd have to look at where they are. I just would rather Iowa go in a different direction

I they did hire him, I'd cheer for him to be successful but I'd have my doubts

One advantage perhaps he'd have over Lickliter is being closer to the Iowa program (proximity to news media etc..) and might have a better pulse on it than Lick had coming in. Maybe he would see some of the mistakes that were made and would have that to serve as a reference point.

Just spitballing....

He still hasn't proven to be any better of a coach than McDermott. He may be but someone is going to have to take that CHANCE and I just don't want that to be Iowa.

I still think McDermott is a better coach than Jacobsen. McDermott was in the MVC when they were getting MULTIPLE bids to the tourney and was doing well. Jacobsen has been working in a WEAK Valley that has only been able to get one bid each of the last 3-4 years. Jacobsen is going to have to show me more than that.

Remember science class when doing an experiment, to check and see what is causing something, you have to change the variables?

UNI + Mac + Jake = success
UNI - Mac + Jake = success
Iowa State + Mac = failure (so far)

I still don't understand how winning one big game (If they knock of KU) can translate in to long term success??

Agreed. I don't think making a decision based on one win is good in the long run. If taken in context to other factors, then I can see it. However, if you would not hire someone at a specific time, one win should not change everything. JMO

So because UNI is playing well against Kansas (thus far), Ben Jacobsen should now be considered for the Iowa job?

Please tell me that wasn't the point of your "bump"

If Barta hires a coach based on a nice run in the tourney, he should be fired.

For me trust is not about what is said on the air, it's about what isn't said based on reallife interactions

For those who watched more MVC basketball than i did, you wouldn't say that UNI was far and away more talented than the rest of the league, would you?

So because UNI is playing well against Kansas (thus far), Ben Jacobsen should now be considered for the Iowa job?

Please tell me that wasn't the point of your "bump"

If Barta hires a coach based on a nice run in the tourney, he should be fired.

I've been saying it BEFORE today.

Just having fun. Calmete.

Aside from Jacobsen being a bad choice, I don't want to watch someone on Iowa's sideline who looks like a cross between Lurch and Frankenstein's monster.

Aside from Jacobsen being a bad choice, I don't want to watch someone on Iowa's sideline who looks like a cross between Lurch and Frankenstein's monster.

You might be on to something. I thought from the beginning that Lickliter wasn't handsome enough to succeed at Iowa. Now look where we are.

2 more NCAA tourney wins than Mac. 1 more sweet 16. if success is your gauge then I would say jacobsen tops mac.

Latest posts