Ben Jacobsen and the Iowa job

I don't know how Barta doesn't look at him. I've not been on the Jacobsen bandwagon but man, oh man, can the guy coach.

I say no to Ben. He may be a good coach, but there are many good coaches. IOWA needs a superior fit, one that has proven recruiting creds, can sell the program to players, to recruits, and to fans, and has a system/style that will put fans into seats.

No. I can't beleive how a tournament makes someone a great coach. For goodness sake, remember 3 years ago with Lickliter? If UNLV makes a couple more free throws we are not even talking about this.

Coach, recruit?. He has done a very good job with what he has. Can he recruit on a national level in the Big 10. Look at other mid majors in the tournament. Are we going to go after their coach now? Ohio was great yesterday. I guess not now.

No part of what we just saw was unexciting. Seeing how he coaches them against Michigan State would be very telling, though. And how do we know, based on personnel, that Jacobson wouldn't go for a "faster pace?"

The "almost meltdown" with the full court press at the very end against Kansas, and the same "problem"(?) against UNLV at times. Is that on coaching? Late game situation inexperiance?

Ok fair point. I did say that. I'll stand behind it. I meant that....but in my defense, I was standing up for Ben as Jon was closing the argument. I do think Ben is smarter than to take the Iowa job right now - other than money...UNI offers a better chance to do what he's doing right now.

You stand behind it now because you don't have a choice. You certainly weren't standing behind it yesterday, or 12 hours ago for that matter.

Tell me again why I should believe anything you say is honest or well informed?

I owe Northern Iowa and Matt Perrault a sincere apology.

Matt P. was right on on this one - Northern Iowa is a great team and they have a super young coach.

Iowa would be lucky to have him - if he can beat Kansas he can win in the Big Ten.

It will be interesting to see what Gary Barta does -

I owe Northern Iowa and Matt Perrault a sincere apology.

Matt P. was right on on this one - Northern Iowa is a great team and they have a super young coach.

Iowa would be lucky to have him - if he can beat Kansas he can win in the Big Ten.

It will be interesting to see what Gary Barta does -

Ya, and I want that coach from the DII school that beat Syracuse at the beginning of the year to be the next coach too. No one is denying that he is a good coach just that you can not know whether or not he could succeed trying to build a power conference program. Just because they beat Kansas or even if they went to the final four doesnt mean he should be the next coach. Jim Laranaga (not sure on the spelling) took George Mason to the final four 3 years ago and he is still there.

Ya, and I want that coach from the DII school that beat Syracuse at the beginning of the year to be the next coach too. No one is denying that he is a good coach just that you can not know whether or not he could succeed trying to build a power conference program. Just because they beat Kansas or even if they went to the final four doesnt mean he should be the next coach. Jim Laranaga (not sure on the spelling) took George Mason to the final four 3 years ago and he is still there.

Come on man....that was PRESEASON. Give Jacobson his due...guy just beat No. 1 KU....in front of a KU crowd....in the 2nd round of the tournament by simple outcoaching Bill Self....Jacobson's stock is SKY HIGH. Coach L stayed cause he loved GMU - I hope Jac stays too

Come on man....that was PRESEASON. Give Jacobson his due...guy just beat No. 1 KU....in front of a KU crowd....in the 2nd round of the tournament by simple outcoaching Bill Self....Jacobson's stock is SKY HIGH. Coach L stayed cause he loved GMU - I hope Jac stays too

Larranaga also wasnt a hot young coach either. Think he was at Bowling Green for awhile too if i'm not mistaken.

And Jake aint staying at UNI.

wow, matt... congrats... finally a sort of intelligent post. great job by uni and way to recognize.

on the flip side... of course jacobson's stock is his is sky high... way to communicate the obvious. in other news, the ncca just confirmed that, in fact that a basketball is round.

I don't think he's questioning anything that UNI did tonite, but stating that lets not have iowa throw a contract to someone just because they beat kansas.

The "almost meltdown" with the full court press at the very end against Kansas, and the same "problem"(?) against UNLV at times. Is that on coaching? Late game situation inexperiance?

UNLV had a lot of quality athletes (certainly more than Iowa has had recently), and made a late run. Kansas had arguably the best team in the nation, and they made a late push to within one late. The key here is that UNI didn't buckle either time. The led the #1 team in the nation for all but 47 seconds. They didn't make a comeback and hit a buzzer beater. They dominated Kansas for almost the entire game. And that's something that NO ONE was able to do all year.

So because UNI is playing well against Kansas (thus far), Ben Jacobsen should now be considered for the Iowa job?

Please tell me that wasn't the point of your "bump"

If Barta hires a coach based on a nice run in the tourney, he should be fired.

Should Barta be fired if he hires a coach that has never won ONE game in DI basketball?

UNI hammered a poor Iowa team. The bigger question is whether Jacobsen could recruit and eventually compete against the top tier programs in the Big 10?

Looks like he is recruiting just fine. They are in the Sweet 16 and just beat the #1 ranked team in the country.:)

Latest posts