Ben Brust.....

SirEdHightower

Looks like he is 13 or 14 in line to play, like 9th down the bench. Is he red shirting/injured? Not meant as a sour grapes/flame post, just curious.

Glad he's at Wisky. Call it sour grapes, call it intuition but I had a feeling this kid wasn't going to be missed too much. I do feel that by his Jr and Sr year he could be a contributor on their team but not much more than a 15-20 minute player.

Feel the same way. We have a few players of the same skill set. Fran needs to get some runners and gunners in the system. Good luck to Ben, but I think wth this will work out for the best.

Yeah I think he fits in Wisconsin's system a lot better than he would have at Iowa. I wasn't too upset when he left, Larson was a bigger loss he would have helped us a lot this year.

I was fine with him being at Wiscy, in fact they can have the two commits we have now. Get us some athletes like they use at Missou and Baylor.

Brust is smaller and not as good as JaBo. No surprise, JaBo was a top 65 player, and Brust was not top 150...

Classy post MAC. Way to throw our two latest recruits under the bus before they even get on campus.

I dont mean to say that they are not good players because i think they are, I just think that they would be better at Wiscy than here. I think we need to get some runners and athletes.

Ben will do fine at Wisconsin. He'll be a Jason Bohannon type of player for them.

I agree, Brust will be a quality player. Don't overlook the fact he would have been thrown into the fire right away at Iowa, but Wisconsin is in tons better shape overall and can bring him along at their pace. Also, being in the area he was I think he was a bit undervalued as a player, Brust was the best player on his AAU team that beat the All-Ohio Red team that that had Sullinger, Craft, Seibert and Weatherspoon all part of the monster recruiting class at OSU. Brust will be fine and he will be a player that I curse when he his 5 three's a game against the Hawks, he is just that kind of player.

So with Stubbs having played more minutes than Brust so far this season... do you really think he minded being thrown into the fire? Most players like to be utilized and receive playing time. My point exactly... if he isn't good enough to crack more than a few minutes at Wisconsin... than I am glad we didn't get him, as we can't afford that type of player right now.
Sure, he might start growing facial hair, practice for a couple years and be good enough to put on the court, but do you remember when he wanted out of his LOI to Iowa? Some fans acted like he was great and a big loss. I have to believe Wisconsin either thought they were getting a better player OR they lied to him.

So with Stubbs having played more minutes than Brust so far this season... do you really think he minded being thrown into the fire? Most players like to be utilized and receive playing time. My point exactly... if he isn't good enough to crack more than a few minutes at Wisconsin... than I am glad we didn't get him, as we can't afford that type of player right now.
Sure, he might start growing facial hair, practice for a couple years and be good enough to put on the court, but do you remember when he wanted out of his LOI to Iowa? Some fans acted like he was great and a big loss. I have to believe Wisconsin either thought they were getting a better player OR they lied to him.

I guess if you can't get more than a few minutes at the University of Wisconsin as a true freshman than you suck. Wisconsin has been known to redshirt McDonalds All Americans. They work their young guys in slowly....Bo Ryan has only started 3 true freshman in his entire time at Wisconsin.

I guess if you can't get more than a few minutes at the University of Wisconsin as a true freshman than you suck. Wisconsin has been known to redshirt McDonalds All Americans. They work their young guys in slowly....Bo Ryan has only started 3 true freshman in his entire time at Wisconsin.

You thought he would START as a freshman! Not even his parents were that unrealistic.

McCabe seems to enjoy the minutes he is receiving... as do Marble and Basabe. I think it is a horrible attitude to say things like "thrown into the fire" as if that is a bad thing. Does that hold true for North Carolina? Are they constantly throwing freshman to the fire or is that different?
The truth of the matter is Ben Brust has looked horrible in the few minutes he has played. Wisconsin is not keeping him off the court as a secret weapon. Brust isn't good enough to see minutes right now without being a liability. Not meant to be a slam or an insult. If he came to Iowa, we would have to deal with it the same way Wisconsin is. He wouldn't be starting at Iowa either!