Ben Brust Put Up 50 Points Last Night

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Mundelein lost to Buckeye (AZ) at the Cactus Shadows Tourney down in Arizona late last night 110-106.

Brust went off for 50 pts, including a 60 footer.

110-106! That is a lot of scoring!

No Kidding! Did they play a game using a bit longer quarters or somthing.... That is a ton of points for high school teams to put up.

Good to see Ben has a knack for scoring, hope it/his game translates to the next level.

Thanks for the update Spank

This kid can fill it up. This recruiting class is going to be the only salve this winter as it relates to hoops.

Couple Twitter updates from last night and this AM as well.

RT @jdbrust Mundelein loses in the 2nd round of their tournament in AZ. 110-106. @BenBrustIowa11 finished with 50.

RT @BenBrustIowa11 Yesterday I was trying to feel like Cully. Hit a 3 quarters court shot.

Mundelein lost to Buckeye (AZ) at the Cactus Shadows Tourney down in Arizona late last night 110-106.

Brust went off for 50 pts, including a 60 footer.

WTF kind of score is that for high school? Had to have longer quarters. If not it must have been a layup drill.

Do you understand NewMexHawk what programs he looked at? Oh yeah, the programs that all play the same type of style. I'm sure he is well aware of how they play, what I don't understand is why you all thing the recruits are naïve.

Ben Brust if fully aware of what he is getting into along with the rest of the recruits. They understand the challenge ahead of them and unlike a lot of you on this site see the "opportunity" to play in the Big 10 and help turnaround a storied program that is struggling.

Ben Brust if fully aware of what he is getting into along with the rest of the recruits. They understand the challenge ahead of them and unlike a lot of you on this site see the "opportunity" to play in the Big 10 and help turnaround a storied program that is struggling.

Couldn't agree more!

Does Ben understand that in the "system" there will be no fast breaking and that uptempo ball is shunned?

It's not shunned, Iowa hasn't had the players to play like that.
Ben is another piece to the puzzle, Lickliter just need to put them in the right place.

Is there really a reason to be so condescending to the signees? Do you honestly think the guys coming in don't know what to expect? I would bet the majority of them are excited to help turn around the program, that's #1. They also get to play in the Big Ten, under a former National Coach of the Year.

I don't know, stormin.

I think I would say that fast breaks are shunned in Lick's style of play. I don't believe that it is just the group he has now and that they can't run within his system. I believe his system does shun running.

Can you prove otherwise to us based upon how much they ran at Butler? If you can't, then what is your proof that he doesn't shun running in his system, regardless of who the players on the court are?

Last edited:
Re: I don't know, stormin.

I think I would say that fas breaks are shunned in Licks style of play. I don't believe that it is just the group he has now and that they can't run within his system. I believe his system does shun running.

Can you prove otherwise to us based upon how much they ran at Butler? If you can't, then what is your proof that he doesn't shun running in his system, regardless of who the players on the court are?

Thad Matta runs roughly the same offensive set. See Ohio State.

Thad Matta runs roughly the same offensive set. See Ohio State.

Yes. But he also recruits top 5 classes in the country as well. No offense at all to Iowa but they will never be in that position.

IMO Lickliter is like McDermott. People always said that ISU needed talent and depth and then McDermott would let them run. Well this year we have depth and an upgrade in talent and we still don't run on any team of decent talent. It's just not in their game plan

Wait stormin.

Are you saying that Iowa's offense is the same as OSU's? Are you saying that the goal of the offense in terms of how they try to work the perimeter with four guys outside and one inside to get an outside shot and for three years have really never looked for the guy in the middle is the same offense as OSU's? The Iowa team that does not crash the offensive boards but instead typically drops four guys back to prevent the fast break is the same as OSU's?

In 2007, 2008 and 2009 they averaged 11.36, 13.35 and 13.3 TOs. In Lick's style of play would he ever have that many TOs if he had it up and going the way he wants? I ask this because I believe OSU has that aspect of their program where they want it. I don't believe they feel they are turning the ball over too often and I don't think their coach would be saying they are. I do believe if we have our program going the way we want it to go that if we had 13.3 TOs that our coach would be saying that was too many.

For the above reasons I am asking if we run the same offense that OSU does. I am not really sure, because I don't watch OSU very much, but I didn't think that we ran the same offense as them. I could be wrong, and I am legitimately asking the question. I am not being sarcastic here.

My somewhat uneducated opinion is that saying we run the same offense as OSU is similar to saying we run the same offense as Wisconsin, which I have heard some say (not you stormin).

Yes. But he also recruits top 5 classes in the country as well. No offense at all to Iowa but they will never be in that position.

IMO Lickliter is like McDermott. People always said that ISU needed talent and depth and then McDermott would let them run. Well this year we have depth and an upgrade in talent and we still don't run on any team of decent talent. It's just not in their game plan
Totally agree.

But this sort of class that Iowa is bringing in with Brust, Larson, Marble, and McCabe is solid. It's one that Iowa can hang its hat on and one that can most definitely try to be more aggressive with the ball, as long as it's within the system.

Fast breaks aren't against the system, as long as they are a good shot. How often does Iowa get 2 on 1s or 3 on 2s? Not often.

Agree on the OSU argument, Matta owns the recruiting trails.

Totally agree.

But this sort of class that Iowa is bringing in with Brust, Larson, Marble, and McCabe is solid. It's one that Iowa can hang its hat on and one that can most definitely try to be more aggressive with the ball, as long as it's within the system.

Fast breaks aren't against the system, as long as they are a good shot. How often does Iowa get 2 on 1s or 3 on 2s? Not often.

Agree on the OSU argument, Matta owns the recruiting trails.

Don't get me wrong. Iowa can win with Lickliter's system. Better players (which they are bringing in next year it appears) will surely make his "boring" system much more enjoyable.

But they will never be a run and gun team. And they will probably never be in the top 4 in the conference in scoring....but they can still win

Re: Wait stormin.

Are you saying that Iowa's offense is the same as OSU's? Are you saying that the goal of the offense in terms of how they try to work the perimeter with four guys outside and one inside to get an outside shot and for three years have really never looked for the guy in the middle is the same offense as OSU's? The Iowa team that does not crash the offensive boards but instead typically drops four guys back to prevent the fast break is the same as OSU's?

In 2007, 2008 and 2009 they averaged 11.36, 13.35 and 13.3 TOs. In Lick's style of play would he ever have that many TOs if he had it up and going the way he wants? I ask this because I believe OSU has that aspect of their program where they want it. I don't believe they feel they are turning the ball over too often and I don't think their coach would be saying they are. I do believe if we have our program going the way we want it to go that if we had 13.3 TOs that our coach would be saying that was too many.

For the above reasons I am asking if we run the same offense that OSU does. I am not really sure, because I don't watch OSU very much, but I didn't think that we ran the same offense as them. I could be wrong, and I am legitimately asking the question. I am not being sarcastic here.

My somewhat uneducated opinion is that saying we run the same offense as OSU is similar to saying we run the same offense as Wisconsin, which I have heard some say (not you stormin).

It's tough to pigeon-hole the offensive sets nowadays (except maybe the Princeton offense)

The sets are very similar (OSU/Iowa), a lot of on-ball screens. Both have their tweaks though. OSU jacks up way more shots than Iowa does off the dribble, Iowa moves the ball around the perimeter more. And they also refuse to feed the bigs from time to time.

Wisconsin is more of a swing offense. Then again, that's almost like the Princeton offense that NW runs (or close enough to it). That's an offense that you can pigeon-hole, the Princeton offense.

Defensively, though, Matta will put a press on occasionally, something Lickliter will not do. Lickliter is more of a 2/3rd of the court defensive minded coach.

It is shocking how quickly an update on one of our recruits for next years turns into a bash Lickliter thread. Yeah, I am sure Lick has every intention of bringing Brust into the system so he can suck next year and beyond!!! Wow???

It is shocking how quickly an update on one of our recruits for next years turns into a bash Lickliter thread. Yeah, I am sure Lick has every intention of bringing Brust into the system so he can suck next year and beyond!!! Wow???

ForeverHawk, I like you. Great point. Well said. All the recruits are coming in to suck. Geez people, this is just getting plain ole stupid.

Latest posts