Beer

Amber Bock????? I'll pass. Cold PBR yes. But Amber Bock, worst shit on the planet ..............well besides scotch.

Amber Bock was created for the light lager drinkers who wanted to believe they were drinking a "dark beer". It has its role for marketing, but it is no where near a dark or good beer. But, people thought they were cool and hipster drinking it.
Disagree. I liked Amber Bock back in the day

For a good local brew around central IL, Gold Top from Reisch Brewing in Springfield is very good.

I like it better than Yuengling lager, which is also very tasty.

Man, this sounds like me. I agree, ya go to the liquor store and all you see is IPA's, at least 90% of the beers. There is the rare decent one that goes down smooth but most have a bitterness with aftertaste.

I heard that they are the easiest to brew or have the quickest turnaround time from batch to the table. This is prob why all the home microbrews do them or start with them and why they flood the stores. I like a nice heavy dunkel or a chocolate stout. Actually, I really like a black-n-tans. I do enjoy my Blue Moon's.

Two beers I wish the hell we could get in Iowa are Spotted Cow & Yuengling. Yuengling is probably a lager but just has a nice deep smooth taste for yellow piss water.
If you like lagers, Ruthie from Exile Brewing in Des Moines, Gable from Single Speed in Waterloo, and Dorothy's from Toppling Goliath in Decorah are excellent. I also like a good dunkel like Backpocket's Slingshot and most stouts.

If you like lagers, Ruthie from Exile Brewing in Des Moines, Gable from Single Speed in Waterloo, and Dorothy's from Toppling Goliath in Decorah are excellent. I also like a good dunkel like Backpocket's Slingshot and most stouts.

Had the Ruthie, yes very good. Haven't had the Single Speeds too much but think I've tried a couple. For some reason they don't stick out to me but not sure if I've had the Slingshot. Sounds familiar thought.

Never been a Backpocket fan, even though they are brewed in my backyard. To me, they taste like the home brew guy doing it in his basement to say he brews beer. But, could just be me.

I know everyone from the Midwest fawns over New Glarus and Yuengling, but to me they're average beers at best. New Glarus makes a good beer, but they don't do anything great in my opinion. Yuengling is just the east coast's Miller Lite.

I know everyone from the Midwest fawns over New Glarus and Yuengling, but to me they're average beers at best. New Glarus makes a good beer, but they don't do anything great in my opinion. Yuengling is just the east coast's Miller Lite.
I tend to agree. New Glarus definitely makes some good beers, but I don't think Spotted Cow is the best thing in the world. It's pretty decent. Maybe it's just because I went by that brewery every day for 4 years on my daily drive, and had quite a lot of it over the years. It's... good. I don't quite understand the "grab all of it and take it home" thoughts, though. I guess you have to love sweet-ish farmhouse ales.

Scotch bad
Bourbon good
Beer good which includes IPA's (good ones) I can find bad examples and a good examples of every beer style except Sours, no bueno

Both of those beers are on my do not drink list. Yes, I don't understand the love of these two. Mediocre at best.

My two latest trips to TCF offered the following:

Grain Belt Nordeast, Grain Belt Premium, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite, Redd’s, and Leinenkugel’s.

Grain Belt, while putrid, was "cheap" at $9 for a 16 oz can. I was just so giddy to be able to drink a cold one (legally) while watching the Hawks I didn't care what it tasted like.

I tend to agree. New Glarus definitely makes some good beers, but I don't think Spotted Cow is the best thing in the world. It's pretty decent. Maybe it's just because I went by that brewery every day for 4 years on my daily drive, and had quite a lot of it over the years. It's... good. I don't quite understand the "grab all of it and take it home" thoughts, though. I guess you have to love sweet-ish farmhouse ales.

They don't sell it across state lines, bud. There was a documentary not long ago about a fella with a totally badass Firebird who assisted a trucker deliver thousands of cases of cool, crisp, refreshing Coors to thirsty race fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Point is, people will really go hard in the paint for beers they can't get back at home.

They don't sell it across state lines, bud. There was a documentary not long ago about a fella with a totally badass Firebird who assisted a trucker deliver thousands of cases of cool, crisp, refreshing Coors to thirsty race fans at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Point is, people will really go hard in the paint for beers they can't get back at home.
I'm quite aware that they don't sell it across state lines, bud. I used to live very close to that brewery.

I get that part. Just don't understand wanting to buy as much Spotted Cow as possible and take it home. There is better beer out there, even at that brewery. People are welcome to buy as much of that as they want. I just happen to think it's an okay beer.

There is actually better New Glarus beer than Spotted Cow, IMHO. I used to get a bunch of it (mix of different beers) and drive it to tailgate with my buddies at Kinnick. You're preaching to the choir.

I'm quite aware that they don't sell it across state lines, bud. I used to live very close to that brewery.

I get that part. Just don't understand wanting to buy as much Spotted Cow as possible and take it home. There is better beer out there, even at that brewery. People are welcome to buy as much of that as they want. I just happen to think it's an okay beer.

There is actually better New Glarus beer than Spotted Cow, IMHO. I used to get a bunch of it (mix of different beers) and drive it to tailgate with my buddies at Kinnick. You're preaching to the choir.

It's because you live close to it and most likely have had the opportunity to have it all year instead of once a year or every other year.

It's prob similar to going on vacation and thinking wow, I'd luv to live here by all these lakes or this ocean. Then after moving, it feels just normal with the normal everyday stressors after you get acclimated and have lived there for 3 years. Nothing special anymore.

It's because you live close to it and most likely have had the opportunity to have it all year instead of once a year or every other year.

It's prob similar to going on vacation and thinking wow, I'd luv to live here by all these lakes or this ocean. Then after moving, it feels just normal with the normal everyday stressors after you get acclimated and have lived there for 3 years. Nothing special anymore.
No, it's because it's b+ beer, in my opinion. I felt that way the first sip, and would be true years later if I had it today. There are SO many good beers in the US.

I've lived in Colorado and CA for the past four years. Had some Spotted Cow a year ago at a Kinnick tailgate. It was decent. Just like always.

Latest posts