Beer

I'll start at Cedar Ridge and go up from there. :)

Normally I'll always have a bottle of Cedar Ridge, Basil Hayden, and Woodford Reserve in the cupboard. Those are my easy-to-find go-to bourbons. When I can find it I'll spring for a bottle of Eagle Rare or Blantons. As long as it's not some swill like straight-up Jim Beam, or that disgusting peanut-butter flavored shit, I can be talked into drinking it.
I like those. Never had Eagle Rare. Guess I'll have to check that out.

My "go to" is Angel's Envy. I really like that. I like several, but I keep coming back to that one. Balanced, smooth, good.

I should Google but you are here.

What makes a bourbon a bourbon and different than other whiskeys?

Now you know how I ended up putting down a shot of Johnny Walker Red. The only JWR shot of my life, I might ad.
The biggest thing is that bourbon must be distilled from a mash of at least 51% corn. Other than that, there are a few other nuances.

Scotch? Even "good" stuff tastes like someone filled an ashtray with everclear and water, mixed it around, added a little cayenne pepper, and bottled it. That shit is the absolute foulest, most disgusting substance I've ever had the misfortune to taste. I have a buddy who's into it and back in the day he had me try everything from a $25 bottle of Johnny Walker to multi hundred dollar single malts that were 12-14 years old.

I'm almost dry-heaving right now thinking about it.

I mean, I understand how people can appreciate bourbon, rye, even Canadian blends. But why on fucking earth would you want to drink something that quite literally tastes like liquid extinguished cigarettes and spice?

It's definitely like IPAs. Hipsters and dad-bods like to seem refined so they drink dogshit beers that are nothing but hops and tell people they actually enjoy it.

Scotch is the same.
Back in the day I went to a scotch tasting party, which was hosted by a guy who imports it for his stores. Since it was all free, I thought I'd try several.

I.FELT.AWFUL. Blech. I wasn't even drunk. I just felt awful. There's a lot of crap in scotch.

I also tried "that peanut butter whiskey crap" a couple of years ago at a tailgate. At first I thought it was interesting, but my stomach disagreed.

Scotch? Even "good" stuff tastes like someone filled an ashtray with everclear and water, mixed it around, added a little cayenne pepper, and bottled it. That shit is the absolute foulest, most disgusting substance I've ever had the misfortune to taste. I have a buddy who's into it and back in the day he had me try everything from a $25 bottle of Johnny Walker to multi hundred dollar single malts that were 12-14 years old.

When my kids were little and in that "I want to try a sip of alcohol" age....you know....it can happen anywhere between like the age of 5 and 9. When they know that it's an "adult" drink, but they also are old enough to know a sip won won't kill 'em and their curiosity is firing waya....

Well, I happen to like Islay malts. The ones they use peat for their heat source. Stuff tastes like liquid campfire.

I gave each of my kids a little dribble of that when they reached that age. It didn't go well for them. I've got two in or past college and neither are very big drinkers. Not teetotalers, but not big drinkers.

When my kids were little and in that "I want to try a sip of alcohol" age....you know....it can happen anywhere between like the age of 5 and 9. When they know that it's an "adult" drink, but they also are old enough to know a sip won won't kill 'em and their curiosity is firing waya....

Well, I happen to like Islay malts. The ones they use peat for their heat source. Stuff tastes like liquid campfire.

I gave each of my kids a little dribble of that when they reached that age. It didn't go well for them. I've got two in or past college and neither are very big drinkers. Not teetotalers, but not big drinkers.
I made the mistake of giving my daughter a sip of my beer when she was 10 and she was like “yum, that’s good”. I thought I was in trouble! She’s 22 now and not really a big drinker.

I made the mistake of giving my daughter a sip of my beer when she was 10 and she was like “yum, that’s good”. I thought I was in trouble! She’s 22 now and not really a big drinker.

My dad would be working on the cars in the garage and have his Old Mil sitting on the counter. When I was fairly young, under 10, while he was under the car I would take gulps of it, sometimes prob 1/4 of the can. He never knew. I liked the taste and still do.

I don't drink to get drunk but actually like it, which is weird. I suppose subconsciously I admit I prob like the effects. I realize that, but I don't buy beer based on the alcohol content or % in it. It is not a factor for me. I buy depending on the taste.

Man, this sounds like me. I agree, ya go to the liquor store and all you see is IPA's, at least 90% of the beers. There is the rare decent one that goes down smooth but most have a bitterness with aftertaste.

I heard that they are the easiest to brew or have the quickest turnaround time from batch to the table. This is prob why all the home microbrews do them or start with them and why they flood the stores. I like a nice heavy dunkel or a chocolate stout. Actually, I really like a black-n-tans. I do enjoy my Blue Moon's.

Two beers I wish the hell we could get in Iowa are Spotted Cow & Yuengling. Yuengling is probably a lager but just has a nice deep smooth taste for yellow piss water.
Blue Moon, Spotted Cow and Yuengling are all solid.

When we come down on November 12 not sure how much tailgating we will do but party bus will be loaded with Spotted Cow.

So will we.

Blue Moon, Spotted Cow and Yuengling are all solid.

When we come down on November 12 not sure how much tailgating we will do but party bus will be loaded with Spotted Cow.

So will we.

It's almost worth periodically taking a trip a few hours to get it or driving out of your way if in the region.. It's that good.

My go-to beer is Boulevard Pale Ale. For whiskey it's Reiger's from a brewery in KC. My bourbon is Jack Daniel's, but I gotta agree that Basil Hayden is a good one. If I have a vodk drink it's Skyy vodka.

I agree with everyone that says scotch is bad. I tried to get used to it one summer, but man, didn't work for me.

PBR! Yuengling! Shiner Bock, Amber Bock! Go big or go home!
Amber Bock????? I'll pass. Cold PBR yes. But Amber Bock, worst shit on the planet ..............well besides scotch.

Amber Bock was created for the light lager drinkers who wanted to believe they were drinking a "dark beer". It has its role for marketing, but it is no where near a dark or good beer. But, people thought they were cool and hipster drinking it.

It's almost worth periodically taking a trip a few hours to get it or driving out of your way if in the region.. It's that good.
I ran into plenty of kids in college from Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and the Quads who would take off for Wisconsin (where 18 year olds could legally buy beer then) on a Friday after school and load up at the Old Log Cabin, the Squirrels Nest, Brands, Sandy Hook, or Bob's Rec. Then take it back into Iowa.

If you’re starting down the bourbon path my best values are Old Grand Dad bonded, Knob Creek and WT 101. Under $30 and excellent.

Latest posts