Beathard Article

Nice article... I want to believe the kid is going to be good, I really do, but I just can't commit to the belief.

Nice article... I want to believe the kid is going to be good, I really do, but I just can't commit to the belief.

He's going to have some really good moments. And a few really bad ones. But at least that will make the games more exciting than the usual dull ones we've been experiencing lately.

It's hard not be excited about Beathard. I know it's damn near a sin to be excited about Iowa Football anymore.. but, I really think Beathard is going to give us a fun 2 years.

I think he's got the Brett Farve disease... That can be great or it can be bad and it'll probably be both. Time will tell. I think the Oline will have such a huge effect on how he does. I wish he had last yrs Oline this yr.... I'm not too confident that this line will be that great. Not early on anyway for sure.

Let's hope the sun shines in Iowa City this upcoming season and that we don't have just another eclipse.

I look at CJ the same way as I did Rudock. He can be good or even very good if he figures out a way to overcome the poor coaching he will receive and the complete lack of talent around him.

Iowa has bigger problems than who is the QB.

What the compound dwellers fail to understand is that Beathard could fall flat on his face and it will be no fault of his own. The difference in talent between last year and this year is significant and that's saying something as Iowa wasn't all that talented last year.

He will be playing behind one of the worst offensive lines since Ferentz has been here. 99-2000 caliber.

He has ONE legitimate B1G level receiver.

A quality TE he could have had will be coming back from a significant knee injury and probably won't play at 100% at any point of the season.

The defense will not create TO's and he will have to engineer long drives since our Punter's/Special Teams are so worthless and can't flip field position.

Iowa had enough talent and the right schedule to win 10 games last year but the first time Kirk is ahead of the curve on making a decision that can change the fortune of our outcomes, will in fact be the first time, and we rode an ineffective Ruddock all the way to a worthless 7 win season against one of the most putrid Power 5 schedules ever.

I agree with all that is said and I saw enough of CJ making plays, quick, instinctual plays, last year to highly believe he has the tools and the stuff to be a good QB. It might not be enough if we cant run the ball and pass block. If I coached defense against Iowa I would be taking T Smith out of the equation. Teams might not need to have 8 in the box against the hawk run game so they can double Smith.

But back to CJ, he had enough wheels against Tenn to escape and throw the ball and to get good scramble gains. And he seems to make big time throws. If he can get the pass completion percentage up 5-8 points this year then all the better.

Let's just say that JR and CJ are about equal in overall talent. We have heard on this board every possible strength attributed to both guys and probably about every possible weakness. So, it came to this: KF knew that whomever was named starting QB for Iowa in 2015 would stay on board and whomever was designated the number 2 guy would transfer. So, because he has said all along that they are both very capable QB's, he made the logical decision: He unloaded Jake and kept CJ, whereas CJ had two years ahead as a starter and Jake only one. In short, KF did the safe move, as he typically does. Most of the time Occam's Razor will rule the day. For all the intrigue around this whole QB change, I perceive it as being very simple.

I think CJ will be a very good QB for Iowa in 2015 and likely in 2016 as well. I wish him all the best and additionally, will never bash JR for his performances at Iowa. He gave 100% and that is all I ever ask of an Iowa football player.

What the compound dwellers fail to understand is that Beathard could fall flat on his face and it will be no fault of his own. The difference in talent between last year and this year is significant and that's saying something as Iowa wasn't all that talented last year.

He will be playing behind one of the worst offensive lines since Ferentz has been here. 99-2000 caliber.

A quality TE he could have had will be coming back from a significant knee injury and probably won't play at 100% at any point of the season.

The defense will not create TO's and he will have to engineer long drives since our Punter's/Special Teams are so worthless and can't flip field position.

Iowa had enough talent and the right schedule to win 10 games last year but the first time Kirk is ahead of the curve on making a decision that can change the fortune of our outcomes, will in fact be the first time, and we rode an ineffective Ruddock all the way to a worthless 7 win season against one of the most putrid Power 5 schedules ever.

Another "CJB Apologist"....handing out the excuses before June has even arrived...

There's a ton of truth in what you said... Football is the ultimate team game. It's not all about talent so long as you have enough of it.... You can't coach up or replace experience and losing those tackles I'm afraid will be a noticeably huge dropoff early on till they get their legs under them. Then you figure in the lack of talent/experience at WR. Those RS and true freshmen receivers might have a good player or two in there but we just don't know yet. But there's certainly playing time to be had for one or two of them if they are...

It could be. I'm worried that the loss of Duzey could be a tipping point between being improved or stagnating. He has NFL talent and seemed poised for a break out year. That said, I think the run game will be improved and that's going to help the passing game. The offensive tackles being a real question mark but I think more on pass blocking than run blocking. Need to have at least one frosh WR emerge...Scheel?

CJ will be handcuffed not have a backup. Kirk will not let him run and this will hold the offense back and the fact that kirk and greg will be calling plays.

Latest posts