Basketball

Connor being out really had a hand in Garza’s bad day. He’s one of the best passers in the league, maybe the country when it comes to feeding the post. He and Garza are made for each other.

No question Connor's passing ability helps the team but let's not forget how good Rutgers is under the hoop, Myles Johnson is legit and Rutgers did a very good job defending Garza.

Connor being out really had a hand in Garza’s bad day. He’s one of the best passers in the league, maybe the country when it comes to feeding the post. He and Garza are made for each other.

Did Garza really have a bad day though? He just had his most efficient offensive game so far during conference play. 25 points on 9-11 shooting and 6-7 from the line. That's a darn good day. I know you meant the struggle of getting him the ball and him actually getting a shot up when he did get it. Just had to point out how efficient his "bad day" was.;) I thought he did a great job not forcing things too much and just taking what the defense gave him. There's no doubt Connor being out disrupted the offensive flow.

No question Connor's passing ability helps the team but let's not forget how good Rutgers is under the hoop, Myles Johnson is legit and Rutgers did a very good job defending Garza.
Johnson plays very physical...fouls a lot IMO. If he’s allowed to play this way he’s a solid contributor. But he’s frequently in foul trouble.

Did Garza really have a bad day though? He just had his most efficient offensive game so far during conference play. 25 points on 9-11 shooting and 6-7 from the line. That's a darn good day. I know you meant the struggle of getting him the ball and him actually getting a shot up when he did get it. Just had to point out how efficient his "bad day" was.;) I thought he did a great job not forcing things too much and just taking what the defense gave him. There's no doubt Connor being out disrupted the offensive flow.
Yes, he was efficient, but also under his average. It wasn’t really a bad day. We just had a harder time feeding him in the post.

Last edited:
Johnson plays very physical...fouls a lot IMO. If he’s allowed to play this way he’s a solid contributor. But he’s frequently in foul trouble.

I'll agree that he's very physical. However it's only a foul if its called. If the refs are going to allow it then that's on them. I wish we had guys that banged like he does down low...foul trouble or not I'd take it.

I'll agree that he's very physical. However it's only a foul if its called. If the refs are going to allow it then that's on them. I wish we had guys that banged like he does down low...foul trouble or not I'd take it.
Well, Garza can bang.

And I hope Ogundele is taking copious notes as he goes up against Garza in practice every day.

Fran has never been one to recruit an overabundance of space eaters. White, Olesaini, Woodbury, Uthoff and Nunge will never be confused with wide bodies. Garza and Ogundele are probably the biggest he's ever recruited at Iowa.

Remember the early nineties when Wisconsin had a player named Pat Tompkins? Dude had shoulders that seemed to stretch from one side of the lane to the other. He was wide, like Wes Unseld. And he could get off the floor quick, like Barkley. In a conference that had Ed Horton, Parish Hickman, Richard Coffey, Ian Stanback and Perry Carter, Tomkins out wide bodied them all.

Maybe there's a Neon Bordeaux out there somewhere.

I am not so sure. His best stretch was the last ten minutes of the game. He scored fifteen of his twenty-five points in that time and looked his best of the game. I forget when was it Connor went out. Someone please remind me.

I am not so sure. His best stretch was the last ten minutes of the game. He scored fifteen of his twenty-five points in that time and looked his best of the game. I forget when was it Connor went out. Someone please remind me.
First 5 minutes i think.

Garza got going when he started taking the ball from the perimeter and high post instead of waiting in the low post and watching another turnover happen. Connor was missed AND Rutgers played the passing lanes very well.
Yeah Rutgers did a great job denying entry passes to Garza, Iowa turned the ball over so many times they were scared to try. Glad to see Garza adjust, that 3 point line drive with a spin and reverse layup was ridiculous. For somebody that looks awkward he is deceptively athletic.

Last edited:
Garza got going when he started taking the ball from the perimeter and high post instead of waiting in the low post and watching another turnover happen. Connor was missed AND Rutgers played the passing lanes very well.

Timing was really off with Connor out

There were several times that we failed to pass the ball to Luka when he only had one man on him, and he can score on any One player in America

We should have passed the ball to him when Johnson was hanging on him like a smelly cheap suit the entire game

He should have had 5 fouls called on him the first half

Well, Garza can bang.

And I hope Ogundele is taking copious notes as he goes up against Garza in practice every day.

Fran has never been one to recruit an overabundance of space eaters. White, Olesaini, Woodbury, Uthoff and Nunge will never be confused with wide bodies. Garza and Ogundele are probably the biggest he's ever recruited at Iowa.

Remember the early nineties when Wisconsin had a player named Pat Tompkins? Dude had shoulders that seemed to stretch from one side of the lane to the other. He was wide, like Wes Unseld. And he could get off the floor quick, like Barkley. In a conference that had Ed Horton, Parish Hickman, Richard Coffey, Ian Stanback and Perry Carter, Tomkins out wide bodied them all.

Maybe there's a Neon Bordeaux out there somewhere.

I don't remember Tompkins but I remember Rashard Griffith there in the early 90s. Man that guy could fill the lane.

I thought he was built more along the lines of Brad Sellers, Brad Lohaus.

But perhaps not.
All I remember was he was 6’10 or 6’11 and in the 270-280 range and solid. Maybe he just seemed like a monster cause I was younger then. Lol perspectives change over time.

Latest posts