Basketball Mailbag - send me some questions

Stormin, I know you are a serious man, so I shall endeavor to ask some serious questions, unlike the rest of the clowns here.

It is said that shooting free throws is more of a mental exercise than a physical one. In a recent news story, Fran said the team regularly shoots free throws in practice. Is Iowa taking other steps to help players focus when they get to the charity stripe? Or is trouble shooting free throws akin to occasional male ED -- the less fuss made of it, the better?

Lacking a big, strong player in the paint, Iowa has had troubling matching up with teams who have big, strong centers who can bump defenders out of the way or back into defenders to gain position under the basket without being called for a charge. From an officiating standpoint, when does backing into a defender become a charge? Explain the rule and then how it is interpreted.

With the current roster, has Fran been able to fully implement his style of play? Or are we seeing Fran Lite, pending the recruitment and arrival of more fast and athletic players?

We know many of the football players visit kids at UI Hospitals or do other charitable work around the community. How about the basketball team?

What would we be surprised to learn about each member of the basketball team?

You're welcome.

What did/are the players of the last Iowa final four team doing with their lives?

Kevin Boyle--insurance in Waterloo, and basketball voice for the UNI panthers. Anyone else?

There are times where it appears the game ball supplied by the host school isn't much better than most of us have in our garages or closets. Do NCAA regs call for a specific brand/model/type of game ball? Is there a commercial tie-in? Who checks them? Do players ever object to their condition? Did the officiating crew that used a women's ball (slightly smaller and lighter) for about seven minutes in a recent Illinois game hear anything from the league office?

What are your thoughts on the chair drill for developing proper shooting form to young players?

Stormin...being the old coach that I am. I love Fran and his style and most importantly the way the guys are giving it all they have for the U and their coaches. It is obvious to me that playmakers or as I call them difference makers are the key for Fran and this program. Who are we in on that can be that guy or guys for us.

What are your thoughts on Devyn Marble's handles? I could be remembering this incorrectly but I thought some people were big on his ability to handle the rock for a guy his size. So far I haven't been overly impressed, in the open court anyway. Thoughts?

Reply in this thread with questions, I will pick out some to answer in an article for the site. Might make it a regular segment.

Go.

funny-pictures-horse-and-goat-work-as-a-team.jpg
Stormin, were you surprised last night when OSU went on the 16-0 run and Mac didn't call a time out? I had just talked to my son about the fact that he seems to use his TO very well and then he didn't. Also, now that they are starting to jell, how many B10 wins do you forcast?

I think recruiting info would be interesting. Maybe handicap our chances to land the in state talent the next couple of years (make sure to take off the black and gold glasses before giving your guess).

What is the appropriate amount of cab fare to give a lady friend after an old fashioned?

Last edited:
Some good stuff in here. Good, as in actually good questions and good as in good humor. Thanks. I will take some more questions for a while, then throw them up probably tomorrow.

Why is it that an offensive player can back a guy down to the hoop, but when the defender resists or bumps back, he gets called for a block? (I'm referring to the call on Cole the other night against Sullinger when Jaryd's hands were up and not extended away from his body (which is where I thought most of those foul calls come from).

What is the deal with Archie? He never seems to see the court. After all of the talk of him the past two years, I was expecting more. IS it due to the new coaching staff? Or is he just not Big Ten talent?

No offense, but who are you? What are your credentials to be asking for questions and posting a blog?

The qualifications for posting a blog are a computer and an internet connection. If you spent any amount of time on this site at all you would understand his qualifications.

Why is it that an offensive player can back a guy down to the hoop, but when the defender resists or bumps back, he gets called for a block? (I'm referring to the call on Cole the other night against Sullinger when Jaryd's hands were up and not extended away from his body (which is where I thought most of those foul calls come from).

The answer is the offensive player is not allowed to dislodge a defensive player who has obtained a legal guarding position. However in the real world if the defender wants to get that call he must stand his ground and if he's dislodged hit the deck forcing the official to make a call.

Thanks for all the questions, everyone. Between Twitter and this thread, I have enough for a Mailbag article. Much appreciation. Hopefully there's enough interest to make this semi-regular.

Latest posts