Basabe Likely to Start vs Penn State

While, I respect the opinions of people, I have this question:

Why would Aaron White go back to being a 3-man, a role that he struggled with and partly why Clemmons was inserted into the lineup, but also McCabe did nothing to belong as a starter.

Maybe Basabe is going to start for White? Maybe Gesell? Better yet Marble?

Basabe comes in for Woodbury, so it is pretty natural to guess Woodbury is going to the bench. Also, as much as I think Woodbury is going to be a very, very good player for Iowa, he simply is not getting the job done right now.

I like Woodbury's game, but here is where he is struggling, can't shoot the 10-12 ft shot, Basabe can and he is having trouble with physical play, Basabe has been Iowa's best big guy all season. The numbers haven't always shown it, but he has regained his energy and is playing very well at this point.

Why on God's green earth would Gessel or White get benched when both have been our two most productive guys seeing Marble has been struggling of late? And White going back to the 3 is not the end of the world as many seem to think.

Why on God's green earth would Gessel or White get benched when both have been our two most productive guys seeing Marble has been struggling of late? And White going back to the 3 is not the end of the world as many seem to think.

Well, I said that in jest due to people thinking Clemmons would be benched and not Woodbury.

It is one of those situations where Woodbury just isn't getting it done, Basabe comes in the game for Woodbury and is getting the job done. So, common sense tells me...

I think most people would be shocked if it is anyone, but Woodbury is benched.

I thinks it's important to sit and watch. Mel has earned more pt than Woody right now, so get him in. Woodman needs to watch and learn the ebbs and flows of the game, so when he does get in he knows what he needs to accomplish. He has to realize that he's nowhere close to the rest of the B1G big men and how this conference is played.

Yes, going back to the lineup that wasn't working against the likes of Texas Pan-American will work much better in the Big Ten.

White is not a Big Ten 3, and never will be. His best spot is as an inside-out 4, like he's doing now. He needs to get stronger so he can handle the inside part better, and needs to get back to utilizing his jumper from 12-15 feet. But you can't be a reliable 3 with his level of athleticism if you can't knock down 3's.

anytime sapp shoots outside of the elbow it might as well be a turnover. hes a below average shooter and worse yet his teammates arent expecting that shot so we dont get the board. he is no better a defender on the ball than mike, and he is far worse off the ball. plus he gambles way too much and picks up stupid fouls.

i think sapp will have a respectable career but i dont see his being a starter making us better right now.

anytime sapp shoots outside of the elbow it might as well be a turnover. hes a below average shooter and worse yet his teammates arent expecting that shot so we dont get the board. he is no better a defender on the ball than mike, and he is far worse off the ball. plus he gambles way too much and picks up stupid fouls.

i think sapp will have a respectable career but i dont see his being a starter making us better right now.

So the guy who picks up fouls quicker than Andrew Brommer should stay in the lineup?

I think it is far more effective to have a confident-yet-ineffective Woodbury on the court than a player who is actually producing. Benching Woodbury at this point in his career will probably turn him from a potential Jared Reiner to a likely Seth Gorney.

Nice job Franpire.

1245087926_troll-detected.png

I'd like to see Basabe avg. minutes at least increase to 18 from his current sixteen. In games where he played well, there a few where he had under ten minutes.

I would like to see the plus/minus stat on each player on iowa roster, with all the question in what the starting lineup or minutes should be. Does anyone know any online site that has this? It'd be interesting to look at.

Yes, going back to the lineup that wasn't working against the likes of Texas Pan-American will work much better in the Big Ten.

White is not a Big Ten 3, and never will be. His best spot is as an inside-out 4, like he's doing now. He needs to get stronger so he can handle the inside part better, and needs to get back to utilizing his jumper from 12-15 feet. But you can't be a reliable 3 with his level of athleticism if you can't knock down 3's.

It's nice to see that we have posters who have stepped down from their former NBA GM roles or D1 coaching positions to take the time to enlightening us with their infinite wisdom.

For some reason I'm thinking the guy walking the sidelines, running practices, doing the recruiting, etc etc just might have a bit more basketball intelligence than you and me combined. Let's see what 5 he starts on Thursday.

Last edited:
It's nice to see that we have posters who have stepped down from their former NBA GM roles or D1 coaching positions to take the time to enlightening us with their infinite wisdom.

For some reason I'm thinking the guy walking the sidelines, running practices, doing the recruiting, etc etc just might have a bit more basketball intelligence than you and me combined. Let's see what 5 he starts on Thursday.

Fran tried White at the 3. It didnt work, he realized it and I would be shocked if we see it again.

White isn't a 3. It was tried and did not work. He can't shoot the 3. He isn't a good ballhandler at the 3. He isn't athletic enough to guard 3s.

People that keep saying he is a 3 might as well start referring to themselves as herby.

If basabe starts he will start for woodbury. I do think this will happen but I don't think it will be permanent for the rest of the yr. I think woody will find his game and put basabe back on the bench as the 6th man (his best spot imo).

White isn't a 3. It was tried and did not work. He can't shoot the 3. He isn't a good ballhandler at the 3. He isn't athletic enough to guard 3s.

People that keep saying he is a 3 might as well start referring to themselves as herby.

If basabe starts he will start for woodbury. I do think this will happen but I don't think it will be permanent for the rest of the yr. I think woody will find his game and put basabe back on the bench as the 6th man (his best spot imo).

So Mel is gonna start for Woodbury. Really? And you're telling Fran that White isnt a 3? I wonder if he's listening?

Yeah, this isn't a message board. We can't discuss what Fran might do in this situation. Oh wait, we can. Don't take your ball and go home just because it's made clear why Basabe won't start for anyone but Woodbury. Maybe he won't start at all?

Those are the two possibilities: Start for Woody, or stay as the sixth man. All other roads lead to White at the 3, and that's already been demonstrated to be ineffective against far weaker competition than they're seeing now.

Yeah, this isn't a message board. We can't discuss what Fran might do in this situation. Oh wait, we can. Don't take your ball and go home just because it's made clear why Basabe won't start for anyone but Woodbury. Maybe he won't start at all?

Those are the two possibilities: Start for Woody, or stay as the sixth man. All other roads lead to White at the 3, and that's already been demonstrated to be ineffective against far weaker competition than they're seeing now.

Thanks Tm. Appreciate your insights. :rolleyes:

So Mel is gonna start for Woodbury. Really? And you're telling Fran that White isnt a 3? I wonder if he's listening?

He doesn't need to. He's already figured it out. You're the one still clinging to the notion White is a 3.

If Fran felt like that was working, why did he move White back to the 4? Basabe has played well all season; why not put him in for McCabe, instead of bringing Clemmons in and shifting White over? Perhaps because White was not panning out at the 3, and he's said he's far more comfortable at the 4.

He doesn't need to. He's already figured it out. You're the one still clinging to the notion White is a 3.

If Fran felt like that was working, why did he move White back to the 4? Basabe has played well all season; why not put him in for McCabe, instead of bringing Clemmons in and shifting White over? Perhaps because White was not panning out at the 3, and he's said he's far more comfortable at the 4.

Again. Thanks for your insights Tm.

BasketballMan formula for success: When poor logic fails, go for sarcasm.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. I guess tomorrow evening when the lights at Carver are dimmed and the starting lineups are announced, we'll see exactly what Fran thinks is best for the Hawkeyes. Who knows? Maybe he even reads HN and is taking your thoughts to heart?

Latest posts