Barta asks WHO-TV for apology

I can't believe there's a single Hawkeye fan or human being for that matter that would defend WHO for airing this crap. I posted a few days ago about giving John Lickliter a break and most of the responses were along the lines of "we're not criticizing him, we just think he's playing too many minutes" I guess you're right. I, for one, would love to flip on the TV and see a video like that featuring one of my kids. Of course I'd Tivo it so I could show it to him later. You don't want these kids getting over confident or too full of themselves. It's best to knock them down a peg or two once in a while.

Bill Maher, whom I don't find humorous, is making fun of Iowans and our corn production on "The Jay Leno Show"!! All Iowans should be offended and request an apology!!

Sorry, but I thought it was funny. The fact John is playing for the Iowa BB team is a joke and should be treated as such...even if he is a good person and does try hard.

Some folks just aren't meant to do some things in life and if it looks silly when they try and add in a public venue...then you're going to get things like this.

Yeah, exactly.

Seems like Barta is wanting to draw attention to this so the wagons can be circled tighter at CHA and/or for other future reasons.

The more I think about it, the more I think what Barta did with the public request for an apology is another little piece of evidence that he doesn't have particularly good judgment.

I thought what he did with Alford--reportedly, setting a standard Alford knew he couldn't reach, which resulted in Alford leaving on his own--seemed brilliant at the time. In retrospect perhaps he just got lucky, because what Barta has shown since is anything but impressive. Out of all the coaches in America his final two were Todd Lickliter and Kevin Stallings. And he landed the worst of the two.

I'm telling the people who are calling for Lick to be run out now, remember this one very important fact: If Lick goes and Barta stays, the same guy who brought you Lick is going to be choosing the next guy.

This is one big Gordian knot of a mess.

I don't think WHO is too worried about not getting media passes. No one at the station wants to drive that far to cover this crap anyway.

Sure they would. It would be a PR nightmare for Iowa/Barta if they tried to revoke WHO's press pass, but there are ways that Barta could make life for them miserable - if he wanted to.

Personally, I think this whole thing is over with now. Barta said what he had to say, WHO said what they had to say, and that's it.

The university would save the station alot of money if they'd revoke their credentials for basketball...and God knows, I'd hate not to be able to relive those highlights and pressers...

Could the station then turn and revoke Gary Barta for having an offensive basketball program???

And yes, I know it's not all THAT offensive...-rim shot-

By virtue of playing basketball for Iowa, John Lickliter has made himself a public figure. There are perks to being in the public eye, and there are downsides. You cannot accept one without the other. Being a public figure means you are open to public scrutiny.

And WTF has the kid ever done besides being a below average basketball player to deserve your sanctimonious "public scrutiny"?

Bill Maher, whom I don't find humorous, is making fun of Iowans and our corn production on "The Jay Leno Show"!! All Iowans should be offended and request an apology!!

Except for the fact that Maher’s making fun of an entire state really isn’t analogous to the WHO personalized ridicule of a college basketball player for nothing more than just not being very good.

Last edited:
What people need to realize is that this piece was about Iowa Basketball as a PROGRAM. It used Lil' Lick as a way to illustrate the problems of the PROGRAM. Was it the best thing to air? Probably not. But people need to realize what the video is actually about and realize that it's not that bad.

Latest posts