Barry Alvarez just said Paul Chryst will stay at Pitt

You are getting absolutely punked by good, sound, reasonable post by NickM, in this thread Clonestar.....just give it a rest.
Vogs, you should know better. You aren't paying attention either. I am not saying that NickM's post is off the wall, I am saying that Rhoads believes he can be a consistent winner at ISU. KSU was the worst program in the history of D1, and Snyder built a winner. There is nothing special about Iowa City that helped Fry produce a winner, that can't be done in Ames. The fact that Rhoads believes he can is all that matters.

keep in mind that the hawkeyes were horrible for a long time until Fry showed up.

Keep in mind that ISU has been horrible since their program was founded. I guess except for that last conference title over 100 years ago. Also keep in mind that ISU is one of the worst FBS football programs in history.

Iowa had some great stretches in the 20's, 30's and 50's. It isnt like Fry's teams were the first to have success at Iowa.

To win on a more national level. You think he wants to try to compete to GET TO A BOWL? Or do you think he wants to try to compete for conference titles? I am telling you flat out, he is a competitor and it isn't an insult to ISU to want to take a more national job at some point. If it presented itself today, he would be gone....if it is two years from now, he gone.....
We just disagree here. He has fielded calls and has admitted so. He is getting everything he wants in Ames, with a chance to forge a legacy.

I am afraid that particular train left the station years ago....

Agreed. Coaches know that they need to maximize their potential when they are "hot." Burt Bulimia is hot right now (3 Rose Bowls in a row), and if he's ever going to make a move, this would be the time.

As Jon noted, Wisky is not rolling in cash right now, so he can't keep great assistants, and can't get big raises for himself. Barry may be a mircomanager, too.

KF had his time when he was a hot commodity. This is not that time.

Agree, so why should he leave ISU again?

I didn't say that he should leave. But let's see how the future plays out before assuming that Paul Rhoads will take ISU to the next level. Plus eventually if he does take them to the next level lets get one thing clear, eventually money will talk and ISU won't pay what SEC teams will. You can believe all you want but you most likely don't know Paul Rhoads personally to know what he is going to do IF any of said things actually happen.

Hayden Fry did great things at Iowa. He chose to stay at Iowa, yes it wasn't great before he got there but he wanted to change that.
Paul Rhoads MIGHT do great things at ISU, long term. He is willing to stay now but no one knows which schools called him or what they offered.

Two completely different coaches with two completely different careers, teams and professional desires for themselves.

I haven't seen anyone taking shots are Paul Rhoads so you don't have to argue to protect him from Iowa fans and their OPINIONS. You believe what you do, everyone else believes what they want, just not many people agree with you. After all you are on an Iowa message board comparing a hall of fame coach to Paul Rhoads.

We just disagree here. He has fielded calls and has admitted so. He is getting everything he wants in Ames, with a chance to forge a legacy.

six words my friend ....Itty bitty teeny tiny fan base.....six words that explain the impossibility of building a legacy...nobody and I mean NOBODY will every know who Iowa State is..confused with some directional school at best.

six words my friend ....Itty bitty teeny tiny fan base.....six words that explain the impossibility of building a legacy...nobody and I mean NOBODY will every know who Iowa State is..confused with some directional school at best.
You believe whatever you want if it helps you to sleep better at night. I would suggest melatonin.

The fact is he did not go, and why not?
In addition to the reasons posted already, here's something else to think about. Hayden was in his mid 50's when he got things rolling at Iowa. Rhoads is currently in his mid 40's. Think the age difference might have an impact on the likelihood of leaving a school?

In addition to the reasons posted already, here's something else to think about. Hayden was in his mid 50's when he got things rolling at Iowa. Rhoads is currently in his mid 40's. Think the age difference might have an impact on the likelihood of leaving a school?
It might, but he has family in central Ia. When his dad passes, anything is possible. One thing that Rhoads mentioned was that he would not be coaching into his 60s. He will be traveling with his wife.

It might, but he has family in central Ia. When his dad passes, anything is possible. One thing that Rhoads mentioned was that he would not be coaching into his 60s. He will be traveling with his wife.

So now you are saying he won't leave ISU until his dad passes away??? Plus he is gonna retire BEFORE he hits 60??? Just like Urban Meyer was gonna hang it all up, and retire young for health reasons......yeahhhhhhhhh riiiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttt

So now you are saying he won't leave ISU until his dad passes away??? Plus he is gonna retire BEFORE he hits 60??? Just like Urban Meyer was gonna hang it all up, and retire young for health reasons......yeahhhhhhhhh riiiiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttt
He recently lost his mother to Alzheimer's . He is close with his dad and grew up in central Ia. He said in an interview that he told his wife that he was not going to be coaching in 20 years. He would be retired and traveling. 20 years would put him in his mid 60s. Vogs, you don't want to wager again, do you? I will wager that Rhoads will not be leaving ISU in the next 3 years, but since time is involved we can make this a bit more interesting. Are you game?

Latest posts