Barry Alvarez just said Paul Chryst will stay at Pitt

I just find it amusing that the Hawks are left trying to minimize the Cyclones. Every other year, when Iowa does well is an overhyped B1G, we get the "Iowa doesn't care about ISU" speech. Now it appears you only post in ISU threads. Your insecurity is always entertaining.

Brett, what the heck are you talking about? There isn't an Iowa fan out there that thinks things are going well with the program. Us Iowa fans have said everything bad there is to say about the state of the program over the past few months. There's nothing left to discuss. The topic of the day isn't Iowa football. It's coaching changes among the BCS schools. And like it or not, your coach is a target, so it's being discussed. The topic centers on why Rhoads should strike now while he is a commodity. Not trying to belittle ISU, but all Rhoads has done is set the table for a great meal. He hasn't delivered it yet. There wasn't anything special about ISU's season from an Iowa fan's perspective. It's not insecurity, it's not minimizing what ISU did this year. The fact that Iowa absolutely stunk doesn't change the fact that ISU is an average football team at 6-6.

People are optimistic Rhodes will hit a 9 win season, but he hasn't yet. So now is the best time for him to strike - don't risk another 6-6 type season, b/c mark my words if Rhoads averages 6 wins over the next 3 years you guys will be all over him like we are Ferentz right now.

I think this post proves a lot of our points that Rhoads would be wise to strike while the iron is hot with a bigger coaching gig. First, the fact that you state it took McCarney 6 years to get to a bowl game shows just how much a fan base forgets a coach's past successes. The ISU football program was absolutely and without discussion horrendous when McCarney took it over. One of the worst in college football. The fact that he built ISU to bowl status is a truly remarkable accomplishment. Have ISU fans already forgotten what McCarney did for the school. There should be a commemorative coin and a building named after McCarney (seriously - he's as important to ISU as Hayden is to Iowa).

Which goes into the next point: McCarney should have left when the going was good b/c there is a ceiling at ISU, just like there is at Iowa, with how consistently good you can be. And when you start to butt up against that ceiling a couple of times in a row the fanbase starts clamoring for the "next level". Every fan base does it. And the coach suddenly goes from hero on campus to "we are tired of his shtick and only producing 7 win seasons.

The fact is that Rhoads has done a lot of great things in his 3 years in terms of notching some big wins. He may never be more marketable than he his now. But if ISU goes 7-5, 6-6 and 6-6 over the next 3 years , ISU fans will be ticked, his seat will get hot and his opportunity to jump to a school with a legit chance of winning a BCS conference championship will dry up. That's not meant to be a slight to ISU. I don't root against ISU. But ISU hasn't won a conference championship in over 100 years.

KF may very well want to go somewhere else, but he would have to take a pay cut. That's a big difference between the business/personal situation Rhoads in facing.

This is a truly great post. And your other one was pretty good as well. You have covered most of my thoughts on this. Well done.

I just find it amusing that the Hawks are left trying to minimize the Cyclones. Every other year, when Iowa does well is an overhyped B1G, we get the "Iowa doesn't care about ISU" speech. Now it appears you only post in ISU threads. Your insecurity is always entertaining.

Maybe you haven't noticed but there really isn't that much to talk about right now jagoff.

I think this post proves a lot of our points that Rhoads would be wise to strike while the iron is hot with a bigger coaching gig. First, the fact that you state it took McCarney 6 years to get to a bowl game shows just how much a fan base forgets a coach's past successes. The ISU football program was absolutely and without discussion horrendous when McCarney took it over. One of the worst in college football. The fact that he built ISU to bowl status is a truly remarkable accomplishment. Have ISU fans already forgotten what McCarney did for the school. There should be a commemorative coin and a building named after McCarney (seriously - he's as important to ISU as Hayden is to Iowa).

Which goes into the next point: McCarney should have left when the going was good b/c there is a ceiling at ISU, just like there is at Iowa, with how consistently good you can be. And when you start to butt up against that ceiling a couple of times in a row the fanbase starts clamoring for the "next level". Every fan base does it. And the coach suddenly goes from hero on campus to "we are tired of his shtick and only producing 7 win seasons.

The fact is that Rhoads has done a lot of great things in his 3 years in terms of notching some big wins. He may never be more marketable than he his now. But if ISU goes 7-5, 6-6 and 6-6 over the next 3 years , ISU fans will be ticked, his seat will get hot and his opportunity to jump to a school with a legit chance of winning a BCS conference championship will dry up. That's not meant to be a slight to ISU. I don't root against ISU. But ISU hasn't won a conference championship in over 100 years.

KF may very well want to go somewhere else, but he would have to take a pay cut. That's a big difference between the business/personal situation Rhoads in facing.
You are comparing apples to oranges. What was KF's pay after year 4? Rhoads will continue to rise in pay, but I am pretty sure that he will never get the percent of increases at ISU that KF received at Iowa. To repeat, Rhoads has taken less pay to get other incentives(FOF & assist pay increases). He does not appears to be completely financially motivated, but he certainly wants competetive facilities and fan support. He is getting both, so there is no reason to believe that he is interested in moving on anytime soon. What is particularly entertaining is the same hawk fans that were predicting 8,9 or 10 wins for the hawks this year, are the same ones claiming Rhoads is/should leave ISU. It is clear that many hawk fans are just not paying attention.

Last edited:
You are comparing apples to oranges. What was KF's pay after year 4? Rhoads will continue to rise in pay, but I am pretty sure that he will never get the percent of increases at ISU that KF received at Iowa. To repeat, Rhoads has taken less pay to get other incentives(FOF & assist pay increases). He does not appears to be completely financially motivated, but he certainly wants competetive facilities and fan support. He is getting both, so there is no reason to believe that he is interested in moving on anytime soon. What is particularly entertaining is the same hawk fans that were predicting 8,9 or 10 wins for the hawks this year, are the same ones claiming Rhoads is/should leave ISU. It is clear that many hawk fans are just not paying attention.

Hes coaching at Iowa State. His ears are always open for other opportunities.

Hes coaching at Iowa State. His ears are always open for other opportunities.
You folks have real short memories. Why didn't Hayden Fry or KF leave Iowa? Before you post something that does not generate much thought, keep in mind that the hawkeyes were horrible for a long time until Fry showed up.

Don't compare Rhoads to Hayden Fry, please. Show some respect for our Hall of Fame coach.

You folks have real short memories. Why didn't Hayden Fry or KF leave Iowa? Before you post something that does not generate much thought, keep in mind that the hawkeyes were horrible for a long time until Fry showed up.

Hayden almost went to USC and backed out the last minute in 86. Dont compare Rhoads to Hayden Fry either.

I agree there is no reason to think Rhoads is interested in moving on. My point, though, is that you don't always get to choose when the right opportunity presents itself. There have been coaches that I absolutely 100% believe had no intentions of leaving a school b/c they 100% didn't believe a certain job would open up and present itself. Not saying Wisconsin is that job for Rhodes, but it seams to me he would be a perfect fit. I don't think Rhoads wants to leave ISU at all, but he, like most of us, probably didn't envision a scenario where the Wisconsin job would open up this year. My other point on that is that if that job were offered to Rhoads he should take it, just like if Penn St came along KF would take it. If the PSU job opened up after KF just won the Orange Bowl I think he would be their coach right now, and I really wouldn't be mad at him for taking it. Ultimate point being Paul Rhoads has a dream job and a dream goal neither of which necessarily include ISU.

KF didn't leave b/c we paid him a top 10 coach's salary. If ISU wants to pay Rhoads $3 million/year on a 10 year deal I would agree he would be nuts for leaving. And I think KF realizes he is a good fit for certain places like at Iowa, and not others. Just like Rhoads. I don't see Rhoads jumping ship to go coach Mississippi; but Wisconsin for Rhoads would be an awesome fit IMO.

Regarding Hayden, he had Iowa in the Rose Bowl before the USC option came along, so he had some reasonable belief that he could maintain a high (like ranked #1 in the country high) level of success at Iowa. Rhoads hasn't achieved that status and so while he might believe he can get ISU a conference title, no coach in the history of ISU over the past 100 years has shown that's possible. Hayden didn't need to convince himself and others that Iowa could play in the Rose Bowl. He did it. If Rhoads wants to coach a top ten team he either needs to raise the bar way, way higher at ISU, or go to a school that has more of a fighting chance.

The fact is he did not go, and why not?

Seriously? Paul Rhoad's wins against a couple top 15 teams in 3 years and all the sudden he is being compared to a guy who took his team to multiple high tier bowl games and a rose bowl?

I like Paul Rhoad's but lets see what he can do in the long haul before you start comparing a coach with a long career and who had a multitude of assists who want on to be great head coaches to his 3 mediocre seasons.

KF didn't leave b/c we paid him a top 10 coach's salary. If ISU wants to pay Rhoads $3 million/year on a 10 year deal I would agree he would be nuts for leaving. And I think KF realizes he is a good fit for certain places like at Iowa, and not others. Just like Rhoads. I don't see Rhoads jumping ship to go coach Mississippi; but Wisconsin for Rhoads would be an awesome fit IMO.

Regarding Hayden, he had Iowa in the Rose Bowl before the USC option came along, so he had some reasonable belief that he could maintain a high (like ranked #1 in the country high) level of success at Iowa. Rhoads hasn't achieved that status and so while he might believe he can get ISU a conference title, no coach in the history of ISU over the past 100 years has shown that's possible. Hayden didn't need to convince himself and others that Iowa could play in the Rose Bowl. He did it. If Rhoads wants to coach a top ten team he either needs to raise the bar way, way higher at ISU, or go to a school that has more of a fighting chance.
Prior to Fry, Iowa was horrible for a long time. Rhoads truly believes he can win at ISU, and he is getting all the support that he has asked for. Fry is a legend at Iowa, and why is that? It is because he took a horrid program and turned them into a consistent winner.

Seriously? Paul Rhoad's wins against a couple top 15 teams in 3 years and all the sudden he is being compared to a guy who took his team to multiple high tier bowl games and a rose bowl?

I like Paul Rhoad's but lets see what he can do in the long haul before you start comparing a coach with a long career and who had a multitude of assists who want on to be great head coaches to his 3 mediocre seasons.
Agree, so why should he leave ISU again?

Agree, so why should he leave ISU again?

To win on a more national level. You think he wants to try to compete to GET TO A BOWL? Or do you think he wants to try to compete for conference titles? I am telling you flat out, he is a competitor and it isn't an insult to ISU to want to take a more national job at some point. If it presented itself today, he would be gone....if it is two years from now, he gone.....

Latest posts