Bama and LSU are so good because they oversign...

There will never be an equal playing field in college football.

The SEC cheats and allow so called student-athletes into their colleges. It's must better today then 10 or 20 years ago and at the same time some of these kids are barely literate and can barely speak. These kids are good kids but would never be admitted to Iowa.

2012 college "amateur" football is a sham.

Hey... at the same time I love college football.

The "SEC cheats" thing is lame. Christ, the B1G has a school that just went thru the worst scandal in the history of sport, both of its flagship universities are on probation. The SEC has at least been open and honest about their oversigning. Just like honey badger, they don't give a f**k what you think about it. And have used guys like Travis & Finebaum to successfully shape perception. It was brilliant actually.

If Oversigning didn't offer a significant competitive advantage, then why would coaches bother doing it? Why have the uncomfortable moment of telling some kid that his scholarship won't be renewed if it does little for the team?

Because they are over signing big time. They just get rid of the ones that don't cut it for them and bring in more in hopes they get home runs with each recruit...

So where's the problem? Coaches get paid to win, to do so, you need the better players. If you have a new player whose better than one you already have, someone has to go.

If Oversigning didn't offer a significant competitive advantage, then why would coaches bother doing it? Why have the uncomfortable moment of telling some kid that his scholarship won't be renewed if it does little for the team?

Because like I said in the other thread, you're just assuming that there is that uncomfortable moment. We don't know if they tell the kids up front and the kid signs anyway. Don't go all poor student-athlete on me this is D1 college football where kids that are going to a BCS conference have multiple offers and options. It's not DIII softball.

Like I said before, this is becoming the most emo butthurt thread I've ever seen on this site, thought I was on CyFan for a minute.

Last edited:

anyone that says it doesn't is delusional.

This is the brilliance of the whole thing. They say that if you take away oversigning they're taking away opportunities. This is/was the platform that Travis and Finebaum and hell even Gerry DiNardo(BTN) have stood on to this very day. Bear Bryant built his legend from this very practice, so its not new. What is new is the propaganda MACHINE that the SEC fueled. The B1G didn't counter and hence lost the war.

people, please, please, please read this

Recruiting Budgets « Oversigning.com

it's not about the 25 number. Alabama signed 29 but only had 19 leave. that puts them over by 10. that's 10 kids who get "cut" from the team to make room for the new class.

again, it's not just the 29 number, it is how the are over budget for schollies, that is what is meant by oversigning, and why it isn't allowed in the Big 10.

end of rant. but please check out the linked website.

VERY good info...OK...the article is back on ;)

whar toilet time?

Hey, I am lucky I remembered to each lunch today...doesn't usually happen three of five week days and its not because I am on some starvation diet ;) just get engrossed with all that I am doing and forget...and love every minute of it

Because like I said in the other thread, you're just assuming that there is that uncomfortable moment. We don't know if they tell the kids up front and the kid signs anyway. Don't go all poor student-athlete on me this is D1 college football where kids that are going to a BCS conference have multiple offers and options. It's not DIII softball. Like I said before, this is becoming the most emo butthurt thread I've ever seen on this site, thought I was on CyFan for a minute.
However, you agree that the incentive is competitive advantage?

It's worth remembering that in that #1 ranked class of 2008, Alabama signed 32 players. At least three are starting for them including Outland Trophy Winner, OC Barrett Jones.

So, no one is saying that all, or most of the SEC/Alabama's success is related to oversigning, but being able to sign more than the 25 has been an advantage for them but more importantly, and more troubling, is that they force kids off of scholarship to fit in more players. The new SEC recruiting rules cap how many you can sign at 25, but what's likely to happen is that this will further incentivize coaches to force kids off the team to make room for the new players.

The SEC enjoys an advantage already in readily available local rich recruiting talent that dwarfs that of the Big Ten, especially the "western" Big Ten states, they don't need another unethical edge of forcing hard working but underachieving players off the roster.

What the hell is oversigning? Nothing says you can't have 100 players on your team, you just can only give 85 of them a scholarship. There's plenty of good schools to go to, if players wanted to go elsewhere they would. They know what they are getting themselves into.

I said in another post, I think the biggest advantage LSU and Bama is they are elites in an other wise over-rated (top to bottom) conference. Because they play in the SEC, they get the added benefit of being able to lose an extra game which would eliminate any teams in any other conference from NC hopes.

When 5 SEC teams open the season ranked top 10, whether deservedly or not, it greatly influences the SOS and plays a major role all season long. They are "the almighty" in the "greatest conference on earth" and as a result they get that benefit. Was Michigan worthy of a top 10 rating absolutely not, however they opened with Bama so by putting them there it gives Bama the benefit of still being in the hunt in the event they lose as well as the "wow" factor when they blow out a top 10 team that doesn't belong there.
Bama and LSU are elite programs, and Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina are all very good programs as well, however lets not kid ourselves that the SEC greatness is that strong top to bottom. Further more, when schedule's are set up so that it's possible for a team like Georgia to miss out on playing those giants, but then ranking them so that they will be in the hunt is an absolutely joke.

Bama & LSU elite programs. SEC very good conference, but IMO not far and away better than everyone else top to bottom. Preseason top 10 including 5 SEC teams absolute joke.
This is incorrect.

Latest posts