Bama and LSU are so good because they oversign...

NCAA increases minimum eligibility standards for Division I student-athletes - ESPN

The numbers suggest the latter. According to the NCAA's research, 43.1 percent of men's basketball players, 35.2 percent of football players and 15.3 percent of all student-athletes who enrolled as freshmen in 2009-10 to play Division I sports would not have met the 2016 standards.

"We do want a higher GPA, but I do think you ought to go back and take a look at what you've really done and compare it against some of the statistics," SEC commissioner Mike Slive told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel. "Because we think [the NCAA] may have overreached in doing that. "I think we're in the right arena; I don't know if we've got the right seat."

The NCAA disagrees. Admittedly, the numbers are staggering, but the requirements, it says, are not.

I wonder why they asked Slive about it?

In addition, some B1G schools offer 4 year scholarships now instead of 1 year renewable scholarships, whereas southern school protested this, but want to be able to pay a stipend.

Unless Delany could cause a population shift from the Sun Belt states to the midwest, he was going to lose anyway. Look at where the vast majority of the top 100 recruits are from, the B10 was never going to be able to outrecruit the SEC in their own backyard.

I agree. Oversigning accelerated it.
And its the population shift that will ultimately kill the B1G & why adding just Nebraska was a colossal failure. The B1G held a massive population advantage for virtually ever until the recent and continuing shift south and west. The conference didn't address it even though Iowa's Gary Barta even mentioned the "sun belt" during expansion. Others as well.
States like Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and even Missouri should have been added. But those schools probably didn't want to come because they see what's happening.

The B1G is just the MAC with a bigger paycheck.

And as I pointed out in my post about ISU's recruiting, you can't just go off of Rivals. Alabama according to rivals signed 26 guys in 2010. That's actually wrong, they signed 29. However, 11 of them had already enrolled at semester. Only 18 of them signed LOI's.

Alabama’s 2010 recruiting class | Capstone Report

Same deal in 2012 - TJ Yeldon was a Jan. enrollee, thus never signed an LOI.

It may be skirting the rules a bit. But it's not oversigning. Everybody that signed an LOI got a scholarship, and kids aren't getting screwed.

They didn't have 29 guys graduate in the fall so where do all the scholarshps come from? were some guys forced out?

The bottom line is that kids don't think they'll get oversigned and the perception that guys like Clay Travis and Paul Finebaum and Tony Barnhardt and ESPiN have created lures the best players. Period, the end. The SEC won.

I agree. Oversigning accelerated it.
And its the population shift that will ultimately kill the B1G & why adding just Nebraska was a colossal failure. The B1G held a massive population advantage for virtually ever until the recent and continuing shift south and west. The conference didn't address it even though Iowa's Gary Barta even mentioned the "sun belt" during expansion. Others as well.
States like Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and even Missouri should have been added. But those schools probably didn't want to come because they see what's happening.

The B1G is just the MAC with a bigger paycheck.

Mizzou was practically begging to get into the B1G. And those other schools in Virginia and Maryland would have listened, too. But now the SEC has gobbled up Mizzou and the ACC has a huge penalty for those wanting to leave. The B1G has handcuffed it's self in many ways because they are about academics as well not just athletics. Even though there have been violations from B1G teams they are still moral and ethical compared to most southern schools.

There is no doubt that they are winning as they have the most talent. However, if they took 3-4 less players per year, those players would be playing somewhere else making those teams that much better....trickle down. We have seen how much difference one or two players can make. I believe that was the idea and the reason for the scholarship limits in the first place. It may not make an overwhelming difference, but it would be nice if everyone played by the same rules.

I'm sensing some trickle down butthurt here. From everyone.

This is a massive butthurt thread. In fact, its Emo-butthurt.

Last edited:
There's one myth debunked; time to come up with a new excuse.

If you bothered to read any of the links,you would know that as an example in 2011 Bama had only 9 schollys to give,but they ended up signing 22, and found a way to get rid of 13 guys...presumbly none-performers. Being able to do over a 5 year period gives them 40-50 extra bodies to choose their roster from....if that is not an advantage, then send them to Iowa. Problem is,they signed LOI's with Bama so they not only get to screen down to the best 85 but keep 40-50 recruits from being available to Iowas of the world.....nice scheme.

Mizzou was practically begging to get into the B1G. And those other schools in Virginia and Maryland would have listened, too. But now the SEC has gobbled up Mizzou and the ACC has a huge penalty for those wanting to leave. The B1G has handcuffed it's self in many ways because they are about academics as well not just athletics. Even though there have been violations from B1G teams they are still moral and ethical compared to most southern schools.

Agree. People that think this is cyclical just aren't paying attention. In every objective evaluation of conferences, the B1G ranks 4th at best for football. This will be validated in short order once the playoff starts. Most years will have 2 sec schools, 1 B12 school and 1 Pac school. And if the B1G ever gets a team in, it will almost certainly be Ohio St, no one else. And if the financial distribution is divided how I think it will be(by appearances) that just accelerates the B1G's demise even further.

Just do an internet search about Alabama football and medical scholarships. This is how they get rid of players they tell them they will pay for their school under a medical scholarship if they sign a form stating they are unable to play any more in college.

Jon is way understating the value of oversigning and is a huge reason some of the SEC schools get a huge advantage, and ironically the 3 that come to mind that don't oversign Florida, Tennessee & Georgia(I think, I know the first two don't) are not competing at the level of the Alabama, LSU & Auburn.

What if Ferentz could stock his roster with the extra number of signees the SEC schools have done over the years, how much would that have helped his teams when we had injuries to critical players. Numbers would have been huge to Ferentz teams, I can't think of many coaches that are much better at developing players.

Is Saban a good coach? yes. But for those who want to give him god like status look up his MSU record, it was nothing special. One good year in 5 years there. A lot of his success at LSU & Alabama is the resources and the way they operate their program with things that go on in the SEC but might not in another league.

If you bothered to read any of the links,you would know that as an example in 2011 Bama had only 9 schollys to give,but they ended up signing 22, and found a way to get rid of 13 guys...presumbly none-performers. Being able to do over a 5 year period gives them 40-50 extra bodies to choose their roster from....if that is not an advantage, then send them to Iowa. Problem is,they signed LOI's with Bama so they not only get to screen down to the best 85 but keep 40-50 recruits from being available to Iowas of the world.....nice scheme.

And if you bothered to read any scoreboard, you would now that Alabama and LSU are better because they have better players.

And if you bothered to read any scoreboard, you would now that Alabama and LSU are better because they have better players.

Because they are over signing big time. They just get rid of the ones that don't cut it for them and bring in more in hopes they get home runs with each recruit...

The most frustrating thing to me is that, without being a total dick here, someone like Jon, who runs a highly visible, high traffic website and participated in multiple media platforms COULD have been the voice for the B1G's agenda on this. Just like Clay Travis(OKTC) & Finebaum were for the SEC. The B1G didn't have that, maybe didn't even think they needed it.

The SEC won the battle of perception FIRST, now they've won the war.

There will never be an equal playing field in college football.

The SEC cheats and allow so called student-athletes into their colleges. It's must better today then 10 or 20 years ago and at the same time some of these kids are barely literate and can barely speak. These kids are good kids but would never be admitted to Iowa.

2012 college "amateur" football is a sham.

Hey... at the same time I love college football.

Latest posts