Backup QB

So not a knock on Petras or Mansell as this isn't necessarily about skill, but why continue to recruit duel threat QBs if they're consistently going to get looked over on the depth chart. Again I'm not saying Mansell is more deserving or Petras hasn't earned the spot, but if it's about arm strength, size, and "fitting the mold", then why even bother going after scrambling QBs.

This is probably a great thing as it means Petras is moving along nicely, and I'm probably just ranting as I liked what I saw out of Mansell, but why bring that type of dynamic player into the program if its a skill set we aren't necessarily looking for.

So not a knock on Petras or Mansell as this isn't necessarily about skill, but why continue to recruit duel threat QBs if they're consistently going to get looked over on the depth chart. Again I'm not saying Mansell is more deserving or Petras hasn't earned the spot, but if it's about arm strength, size, and "fitting the mold", then why even bother going after scrambling QBs.

This is probably a great thing as it means Petras is moving along nicely, and I'm probably just ranting as I liked what I saw out of Mansell, but why bring that type of dynamic player into the program if its a skill set we aren't necessarily looking for.
Because A) We were looking for mobility a bit more under GD, and B) They were still satisfied with Mansell's ability to throw. His mobility was just a bonus.

Iowa always takes a QB in each class, something that is becoming more and more important in the transfer portal era. We won't see many guys ever play a down for Iowa, due to different rates of development, desire to play early, or simply even just being stuck down on the depth chart.

2 of our best QBs in the Ferentz era and maybe all-time were scramblers; Tate & Banks. I think it truly is a case of fitting a certain mold. I liked what I saw from Mansell.

Russell Wilson and Dennard Robinson both renounce their B1G days. Antwan Randle-El, too. Thank God Brad Banks never tucked it...

It doesn't have to be a true scrambling QB, but a QB that can tuck and run is a game changer and forces the defense to stay on their toes.

Not trying to slam the guy, because he was playing garbage time, but the few times Mansell was out there last year he was not impressive. He missed open receivers, ran out of the pocket too early, I think he even threw an interception. He is no Brad Banks.

Based on what I've heard from BF and KF in previous interviews, it sounds like Mansell's biggest issue is trusting his legs before his arm. Tate and Banks only ran when they had to, and often times it was to scramble to extend the play in order to find an open receiver (think Tate v Michigan in 2004 when he got his helmet ripped off....he was still scrambling behind the LOS to find an open guy rather than just tucking and running). Mansell's first instinct when rushed is to just tuck it and run.

No love for CJ?
  • Banks had 12 games of 25+ rushing yards and 3 with 50+
  • Beathard had 11 games of 25+ rushing yards and 3 with 50+
  • Tate had 5 games with 25+ rushing yards

No love for CJ?
  • Banks had 12 games of 25+ rushing yards and 3 with 50+
  • Beathard had 11 games of 25+ rushing yards and 3 with 50+
  • Tate had 5 games with 25+ rushing yards

Loved healthy CJ. Completely immobile after getting injured though. Total ironman. Tate and Banks stayed healthy enough to be mobile throughout their entire seasons.

Why do we care if a QB has a strong arm? We never throw the ball farther than 15 yards down the field. Mansell could do that and still not be a statue behind the offensive line.

Loved healthy CJ. Completely immobile after getting injured though. Total ironman. Tate and Banks stayed healthy enough to be mobile throughout their entire seasons.

Yep, only 1 of his 25+ yard rushing games came during his last season. Beathard had big time grit but dang he couldn't run to save his life that last season due to his health.

Yep, only 1 of his 25+ yard rushing games came during his last season. Beathard had big time grit but dang he couldn't run to save his life that last season due to his health.
He had a few good runs toward the end, I remember the goal line dive against Indiana where the helmet hit the ball out of his hands after he scored. He still had some mobility which was pretty impressive

He had a few good runs toward the end, I remember the goal line dive against Indiana where the helmet hit the ball out of his hands after he scored. He still had some mobility which was pretty impressive

I was definitely over exaggerating, he still had a few nice runs here and there. Compared to what he could do previously though, he was a stick in the mud at times that last year.

Not trying to slam the guy, because he was playing garbage time, but the few times Mansell was out there last year he was not impressive. He missed open receivers, ran out of the pocket too early, I think he even threw an interception. He is no Brad Banks.

Same could be said about Stanley. It's hard to gauge anyone when they're seeing limited action.

I could never figure out why he didn’t go to the Big 12 anyway. Running QBs don’t thrive in the Big Ten other than at OSU, and even then the advantage is debatable because their OL is so talented and deep to begin with.

He’s a square peg in a round hole in some respects, and I can’t imagine trying to possibly have two different schemes ready to go. In my opinion you should find QBs that naturally fit your system instead of changing your system to fit a QB.

The other thing I don’t like about run threat quarterbacks if that the potential for injury is just ridiculously high. Even if it’s not a season ender all those nagging injuries pile up by the end of the season which is the worst time to have them. I’d bet my house Nebraska is going to run into that problem with Martinez before all is said and done.
Think about Iowa's most successful seasons under Ferentz...they have mostly all come with QBs who have the ability to run a little bit. I'm not saying we have had Tim Tebow but it seems like we do better with a QB who has some running ability as opposed to Stanley who probably makes Tom Brady look fast

Agreed. Heard a rumor that he may have the best pure arm talent Iowa has ever seen

Arm talent? They all have arm talent at that level.
Missed open receivers? He missed Fant on a seam route in 30 mph winds. The only bad ball was Illinois. The int looked like a wrong route if I remember.

The only time he ran was when the pocket collapsed on him.

Not saying he was perfect, but he was solid.

Arm talent? They all have arm talent at that level.
Then everyone would have all-world QBs.

By arm-talent I mean he's got an absolute cannon, and even better, he has control of it. The touch he displays on his deep ball in his HS highlights is exquisite.

By no means do I think Mansell is a bad or even below-average QB. I think he could still do good things should he be given the reins. However, I do think that Petras fits our offense better and has a higher ceiling.

Why do we care if a QB has a strong arm? We never throw the ball farther than 15 yards down the field. Mansell could do that and still not be a statue behind the offensive line.

You realize the WIDTH of a football field is 53 yards, right? You don't want a strong armed QB so he can chuck it 80 yards in the air vertically. You want a strong armed QB so that when you're on one hash or the other and need to throw the out route with velocity, you can do that and not worry about it getting picked off....see Rudock circa 2014 vs Northern Illinois for evidence.