Back to Back Magic: Can Iowa Make the Dance?

I honestly don't care about the dance right now. Just enjoying the moment. What a great night. Swept Wisky. Huge.

I think we'll be playing in a post season tournament. Which one remains to be seen but it is really fun to be having this conversation and to be excited about Iowa basketball again.

Who really thought we would beat Indiana and Wisconsin.....

A win at Illinois is not impossible, probably will not happen, but if the Hawks can maintain their focus and intensity, they are capable of doing it.....

Nebraska will be tough on the road, but we are a better team than them, in my opinion, they were shooting lights out at Carver. It is unlikely they will do that again. We shall see. They are tough at home, beating Indiana and then Illinois by about 30, but we do owe them.....

I do believe that we will beat NW the last game of the regular season. I can see visions of the Purdue game last season.....

If by some quirk of fate we win the next three games, and one in the tournament, we will be difficult to keep out of the Dance.....

Mere speculation, but fun to do so. Not many thought we would be discussing the possibility before the season, and especially after the disastrous start of the season. Fran and the team have made tremendous strides and it shows.....

:)

If Iowa wins their next three and then two in the Big Ten tourney, to get to the semi's, that would mean wins against three ranked teams in their final 10 games and a record of 7-3 in their last 10, as well as a 10-8 record in the best conference in the nation. That would get them in. I dont think it will happen tho

I would like to think that, but RPI is such crap I think we would be in the 70's or so. What's the worst RPI ever to get at large in the tourney? I'm thinking maybe one or two 70's have made it before. We are 138 before tonight and we only moved up 12 spots after Indiana win. So maybe tomorrow we are around 125. The rest of our regular season schedule isn't that great at best we around 90-100 by end of the season. I don't see two wins is enough in tourney(with one probably being against 10th or 11th seed) boosting it that much. I think we'd still be crossing our fingers and on the bubble selection sunday, by no means would be a lock I don't think. But we'd definately be in the discussion

I sure hope that the Fran show captured that scene where the players picked up Matt in celebration after the game...that would go with the locker room scene after last year's IU win as some great footage in the Fran era.

How fortunate has Fran been to inherit back to back captains with the kind of character and leadership as Jarryd Cole and Matt Gatens? Rock solid guys,that will be hard to match for Eric May next year,but he is the strong silent type also so maybe he will emerge next year.

I am so pleased with this team, I refuse to be disappointed with missing out on the NCAA tourny. Just want to relish the last 4 games and watch them grow. Hope they make some post-season tourny,of course,but if they finish strong,I am not picky.
If they did win out,and take a game in the BTT and fell short, I think it is a shame,and the tourny's loss,because they would be a good addition to the field in terms of entertainment value alone,and on merit also,but so be it...just go out strong,Hawks...and beat those stinkin illini!

I believe Jon mentioned that Iowa last beat Illannoy in Champaign in 1987. THAT is a long long time.

This is as good a year as any to beat them and would be especially sweet this year!

It's only crazy if there is a zero percent chance. I think the chances are remote, but if they win their next three and then the opening round of the Big Ten tourney, they will be talked about as a bubble team by everyone in the biz.

It is crazy talk when it is not realistic. It is unrealistic to think Iowa is going to sweep the last 3 games, especially after what we have seen this year. If somehow Iowa beat Illinois then it becomes more realistic. Even though Illinois is struggling it is still a rivalry game where both Ohio State and Michigan State have lost. Oh and they have this 7 footer that is pretty darn good. The Nebraska game will also have the feel of a rivalry game and it is their Senior night. Hopefully they find a way to guard Richardson this time.

At this point I am pretty damn proud of this team no matter what happens. They have exceeded my expectations and I hope they get rewarded with post season play at any one of the post season tournaments.

I don't think talking about it is wrong at this point. Maybe if OSU and MSU were still on the schedule but those games left are winnable. Might be unlikely to go 3-0 but it's not out of the question. The BTT game would likely be against an opponent in that tier as well.

Drake has a higher RPI than Iowa. That is all.

South Carolina-Upstate has a higher RPI than Iowa. Lets all take a deep breathe and, just like the NCAA selection committee, look at the entire body of work.

Just talking about the Dance again in late Feb is pretty awesome, I have my doubts but nothing wrong with Dreaming!

NCAA, NIT or whatever.. I am enjoying this season because of the obvious progress being made. There's life coming back to the program again. It's really that simple.

And yet there were people on this and other boards that had given up on this team not too many weeks ago.

Unbelievable game last night! I made the trek with a few buddies from Des Moines and we were questioning whether it was a good call with the weather. It surely was, though the drive back home was a bit dicey.

Also, not to be a stickler or anything, but I thought Gatens missed 1 jumper in the first half.

Latest posts