B5Q - Wisconsin-Iowa Preview: Would You Trade Ben Brust For Jarrod Uthoff?

It is all Bo's will Spank. Just as it was his will for Uthoff to leave Wisc and transfer to Iowa. He is a deep cover mole who will be activated during future Iowa/Wisc games, costing up future super bowl losses.

Must be a double agent then because it isn't working out so great for Wisky since his arrival on the Wisky campus and now in IC.

I'm sure, like the clueless author, there will be a ton of Badger fans who just assume that Uthoff was too cowardly to show up for this game.

Illinois and Minnesota have all time winning records against Iowa. Does that mean we should just expect them to beat us all the time? I mean, what happened 25 years ago surely matters to what happens now right?

Or how about Iowa was in an all-time hole, Wisconsin is on an all-time high, and it is an anomaly for a bad program to consistently beat a good one.

I hear what you're sayin....

1. Iowa was in an all time hole
2. Wisconsin was on an all time high
3. Iowa has won the last three matchups
4. It's an anomaly for a bad program to consistently beat a good one

Guess it depends on which program you think is the good one, doesn't it.... Go Hawks!

I am guessing Meyer travels because he is an actual redshirt, Uthoff is just sitting out a year and not actually redshirting? So, tonight, if a certain segment of the crowd is sullen because Utoff is not in attendance, Hawks win! Right???

Also, if Iowa has beaten Wisconsin inexplicably 3 times in a row and leads the all time series 79-77......isn't Iowa the better program??? #Logic

Iowa could certainly use Brust's outside prowess this season due to the lack of shooters on this team.
But overall, I think Uthoff brings a more dynamic overall game to the team. I would take Jarrod over Ben if I had to choose.

Plus Brust has just one year left, while Uthoff has three.

Jaryd is much more versatile, and as you say has three years of eligibility while Brust will be a senior next season......

excelllent reasoning, Stormin.......

I would take Utoff over Brust. But one thing I never understood is why everyone, maybe including Brust himself thought he fit Lickliter and Ryan's system better than Fran's? I am pretty sure his high school was run and gun....no? He would have fit in fine at Iowa.

I am guessing Meyer travels because he is an actual redshirt, Uthoff is just sitting out a year and not actually redshirting? So, tonight, if a certain segment of the crowd is sullen because Utoff is not in attendance, Hawks win! Right???

Also, if Iowa has beaten Wisconsin inexplicably 3 times in a row and leads the all time series 79-77......isn't Iowa the better program??? #Logic

I gave the answer above.

Per NCAA rules, redshirt student-athletes aren't allowed to travel. This is why Uthoff would have to pay his own travel expense if he wanted to go to Madison.
Meyer travels because he hasn't taken the redshirt officially yet - meaning he can burn it by playing.

Due to the transfer rules, Uthoff is currently ineligible to play and in a current state of redshirting.

Might be better all the way around if he stays home, saves some sheckel, and watches the game on TV with the rest of us.....

Give the rabid unruly fans something less to roar about.....

:cool:

Well... he updated his story after some Twitter messaging and other posts, but still has the info a bit wrong...

(UPDATE: Apparently Uthoff cannot travel with Iowa this season because he is not redshirting, but is strictly ineligible. So fans get a one-year reprieve from seeing Uthoff live.)

Uthoff is redshirting.

Pretty funny that Wisconsin would have Ben on the ticket for tonight's game.
Both schools have brought him up during their contests.

Unless this was just by chance?

BCb6zsWCcAEkGhQ.jpg:large
They are still but hurt about the trolling they received in Iowa City with the trivia question.

He redshirted last year. Is he technically doing it again this year?

The whole deal is extremely confusing even to those that are in compliance departments due to exceptions, et al.

Transfers lose a year if they go 4-4 on their transfer. The redshirt is used to keep that year of eligibility (I know you know this, just stating).
I know the U of I has labeled him a RS in the past.

Bottom line is he is sitting out because of NCAA transfer rules.
But he has the same rules as redshirt when it comes to travel.

So I guess when you look at it that way, Bucky has it right in the explanation.

Brust is a decent player, but nothing special. Even if Uthoff turns out to be at the same level (and frankly I think we will all be disappointed if that's the case), we are trading 6'1" for 6'8"

The whole deal is extremely confusing even to those that are in compliance departments due to exceptions, et al.

Transfers lose a year if they go 4-4 on their transfer. The redshirt is used to keep that year of eligibility (I know you know this, just stating).
I know the U of I has labeled him a RS in the past.

Bottom line is he is sitting out because of NCAA transfer rules.
But he has the same rules as redshirt when it comes to travel.

So I guess when you look at it that way, Bucky has it right in the explanation.

It has to do with him transferring inside the Big Ten, had he transferred to another conference he could have petitioned to play immediately. Intraconference transfers aren't eligible I am guessing because of the whole, fair competition, theory. The rule is if he transferred to another conference school, he can have no contact with coaches and now I can't think of the timing, fall classes I believe and cannot obviously practice in that time with the team either. Once he enrolled, I believe, he was able to have contact with the coaches. The one thing I don't know is the players, could he talk to players?

Yeah, since he did transfer, you can call him a redshirt, but in all reality he is not on scholarship right now and is technically considered a student, not a student-athlete. In the end, he loses a year of eligibility because of transferring and will have 3 years left.

The question I have is this, unless he fall flat on his face and isn't a contributor, does Uthoff/Iowa petition for this year of eligibility? If he is a kid that does well, but not looking like a surefire pro, it would be worth a shot wouldn't it?

It has to do with him transferring inside the Big Ten, had he transferred to another conference he could have petitioned to play immediately. Intraconference transfers aren't eligible I am guessing because of the whole, fair competition, theory. The rule is if he transferred to another conference school, he can have no contact with coaches and now I can't think of the timing, fall classes I believe and cannot obviously practice in that time with the team either. Once he enrolled, I believe, he was able to have contact with the coaches. The one thing I don't know is the players, could he talk to players?

Yeah, since he did transfer, you can call him a redshirt, but in all reality he is not on scholarship right now and is technically considered a student, not a student-athlete. In the end, he loses a year of eligibility because of transferring and will have 3 years left.

The question I have is this, unless he fall flat on his face and isn't a contributor, does Uthoff/Iowa petition for this year of eligibility? If he is a kid that does well, but not looking like a surefire pro, it would be worth a shot wouldn't it?

There would have had to have been a good reason to allow him to play right away. Unless he had a family member that was sick and he left to be closer to home, we would be sitting out no matter where he transferred to from Wisconsin.

Technically, he was not allowed to talk with players on the team until he was enrolled. Obviously, it's very difficult to believe that was actually followed. But he was supposed to have zero contact until he was enrolled.

There would have had to have been a good reason to allow him to play right away. Unless he had a family member that was sick and he left to be closer to home, we would be sitting out no matter where he transferred to from Wisconsin.

Did Okey redshirt?

Latest posts