B1G WRESTLING: SESSION II

Here's a rundown on Hawkeye wrestlers today.

125 - Clark had a nice bonus point major his first match, then lost a wild scrambling 3-2 decision to defending NCAA champ Delgado. Clark should be able to win his next two matches to place 3rd, while the final between Megaludis and Delgado will be a toss-up.

133 - Ramos pinned his first guy, then won a tough match 7-6 against Quiroga, who he's wrestled a number of times in the past. Ramos will wrestle Graff in the finals, since he handled Thorn 9-4.

141 - Dziewa picked up a bonus point major in his first match, then lost 7-0 to Dutton, whose controversial 2 back points early in the match put Dziewa in a hole that he couldn't dig out of. He came back in consolations to pin his first opponent, then win 7-4 against a tough Wisc. freshman. His first match tomorrow will be against Dardanes. Dziewa wrestled 4 matches today!

149 - Grothus pinned his first guy, then lost a tough one to Grajales 4-1. He then sadly lost 3-1 to Ervin from Illinois (record of 6-7), so Grothus won't be in NCAAs unless he gets a wild card (I would think that's a distinct possibility).

157 - St. John beat Alton 4-1 in his first match, then beat #1 seed Jordan 4-3 TB1 in OT. In the finals he'll wrestle Green, who St. John has struggled against.

165 - Moore picked up a major win in first match, then beat Zilverberg 8-5. He'll have some fun in the finals against that Taylor guy.

174 - Evans continued the bonus point trend with an 8-0 major in his first match, then (to my surprise) pulled out a hard fought 3-2 win over Brown. In the finals he'll go against Kokesh, who beat Storley 3-2.

184 - Lofthouse had a boring 4-1 win to start his day, then had a nice 5-4 win over Steinhaus. He's moving the best I've ever seen him move, but of course will have his hands full in the finals against Ruth, who wasn't too impressive with 4-1 and 9-1 wins.

197 - Burak pinned his first guy (nice!), beat Atwood 5-4 in a good win, and then lost a tough one 3-2 TB1 in OT against McIntosh. His first match tomorrow is against Polizzi, who I've never heard of, so hopefully Burak will be in the consolation finals against either Schiller or Atwood.

285 - Telford lost a usual boring match against Nelson, 2-0. He then dominated 10-0 and 8-0 in consolation matches. Has a tough one next against McMullan.

Iowa has 5 guys in finals, 4 guys in consolations, and unfortunately Grothus is out. I'm REALLY impressed with the number of bonus point victories today!!

Minnesota was leading after 1st session, but lost 8 straight semifinal matches until Nelson won at 285, so they have 1 in finals and 8 in consolations; Brancale is out.

Penn State has 5 guys in finals, 3 in consolations (though Gingrich and English will probably lose their next matches) and Gulibon and Alton are out.

Penn State leads with 122 points, and Iowa has 121. Minnesota has a distant 86, and though they'll score well in consolations, it won't be enough to counter Iowa and Penn State's finalists. I like the Hawkeyes' chances to beat Penn State. Clark will score well in consolations, and hopefully Dziewa, Burak and Telford will pick up 1-2 more wins each. A few finals wins will give the Hawks the title...I HOPE! :)

I'm stumped. At least for now there's a WHOLE lot more to talk about here than on the BB thread (or FB or whatever). And yet, the wrestlers being one point out of the lead draws three total comments? WOW!

Will be traveling today, but you can be sure that I'll be doing whatever I can to get updates on the wrestlers. Same for the Iowa women.

It's becoming a trend for us to crap the bed on the last day, burak lost to a lower seed while the PSU and Minny wrestlers keep winning. Hope Telford wins, we need this one! Better hope our guys bring it today in the finals.

It's becoming a trend for us to crap the bed on the last day, burak lost to a lower seed while the PSU and Minny wrestlers keep winning. Hope Telford wins, we need this one! Better hope our guys bring it today in the finals.

Not sure what you're complaining about. Both Telford and Clark won and will be wrestling for 3rd, while Dziewa lost to a very good opponent (Dardanes). Yes, Burak lost to someone that he should have beaten, but it's ridiculous to expect phenomenal performances from all 10 guys all the time. Sometimes it seems that fans would find fault if 9 Hawks won the NCAAs...because it should have been 10! Or they think that every Hawk wrestler should get bonus points in every match they wrestle throughout the year. Absolutely ridiculous thinking, and makes me wonder if those fans have ever competed in sports. (Sorry about the rant, sometimes it gets to me) :)

Not sure what you're complaining about. Both Telford and Clark won and will be wrestling for 3rd, while Dziewa lost to a very good opponent (Dardanes). Yes, Burak lost to someone that he should have beaten, but it's ridiculous to expect phenomenal performances from all 10 guys all the time. Sometimes it seems that fans would find fault if 9 Hawks won the NCAAs...because it should have been 10! Or they think that every Hawk wrestler should get bonus points in every match they wrestle throughout the year. Absolutely ridiculous thinking, and makes me wonder if those fans have ever competed in sports. (Sorry about the rant, sometimes it gets to me) :)

I did wrestle my whole life and I hope I'm wrong but we shall see. So far Clark isn't looking good.

Tony needed that bad! But he better get his offense going if he wants to be on top of the podium at nat'ls. He really deserves it. Between Clark and Ramos, zero shots and zero takedowns.

This lack of offense is freaking pathetic to watch. Sorry guys this has become my venting thread.

1-3 in the finals, with EL v. Ruth left. As I stated, not good on the last day. Loved Moore's heart in his match, but didn't see much fire outside of that.

Latest posts