B1G Shift: Who Benefits from OSU's 'Demise'?

WHy? All things are cyclical, although one can argue, OSU hasn't been.

Iowa has been an underachieving team since 2004, with one exception. Before we can start talking about Iowa being affected because of other teams having an easier game against someone not named Iowa, we need to acknowledge that we are not going to the Big Ten Championship game going 4-4 or 5-3 in conference play.

WHy? All things are cyclical, although one can argue, OSU hasn't been.

Iowa has been an underachieving team since 2004, with one exception. Before we can start talking about Iowa being affected because of other teams having an easier game against someone not named Iowa, we need to acknowledge that we are not going to the Big Ten Championship game going 4-4 or 5-3 in conference play.

I think that goes without saying. Still i'd rather see Michigan, Mich St, and Nebraska play OSU at full strength.

Let me clarify. I don't think this is a big deal or big hit to Iowa, just that maybe we don't benefit from it in the near future as much as other teams.

I don't think that Michigan, Nebraska or Michigan State playing a weakened Ohio State program is going to be like playing Indiana. The Buckeyes will still have talent. USC was ripped last year by sanctions and free transfers and still won 8 games. They will have some bite in their bark.

I felt Nebraska would beat OSU this year in Lincoln as it was the first game back for the Tattoo 5...certainly feel that way after this weekend's news and the getting stronger by the minute chance that Pryor may not play again. Any trip to The Shoe is still going to be a tough out. MSU has to play there their first B10 game this year. OSU is still going to have a very good defense.

I don't think that Michigan, Nebraska or Michigan State playing a weakened Ohio State program is going to be like playing Indiana. The Buckeyes will still have talent. USC was ripped last year by sanctions and free transfers and still won 8 games. They will have some bite in their bark.

I felt Nebraska would beat OSU this year in Lincoln as it was the first game back for the Tattoo 5...certainly feel that way after this weekend's news and the getting stronger by the minute chance that Pryor may not play again. Any trip to The Shoe is still going to be a tough out.

I'm not saying they're going to be gimmies.

It certain aids teams in the Leaders for a few years...but its not like Ohio State is gonna fold up and go away. They will rebound fairly quickly...but I guess we'll need to wait and see what the NCAA does to them

I wonder if OSU will be banned from the B10 Championship Game regardless of how they finish in their division?

That could be a nightmare for the B10. OSU wins their divison but the Leaders have to take the runner-up instead. Or OSU wins their division, goes to the B10 Championship and beats the Legends divison winner and the BCS has to take the runner-up.

If USC got 30 scholarships yanked for 1 player violation, OSU should get double that, particularly if this is a long-standing problem, which it certainly seems to be. Some believe the NCAA was harsh on USC because of their arrogance in light of the NCAA investigation. SC's arrogance is downright timid compared to what OSU's administration has demonstrated up to now. I hope the NCAA hammers them. Short term it may affect the Big Ten's competitiveness, but long term it will be a better conference (even if it does include Nebraska).

That could mean bowl bans, scholarship reductions or more. Sports Talk Provacatuer Skip Bayless suggests this could wind up being the biggest athletic program scandal since Southern Methodist University received the 'death penalty' in the 1980's.

I doubt we'll ever see another program get hit with that; SMU's football seasons were cancelled for the 1987 and 1988 seasons and they are still recovering from the fallout.
This relates to Iowa more than most realize.
I am currently reading Hayden Fry's autobiography A High Porch Picnic. As you might know, he was head coach at SMU for several years but was inexplicably fired after several successful seasons and having brought the program to glory after many terrible years (similar to what he did at Iowa). Many thought it was because he integrated the SW conference. He refused to accept the head coach position there unless they allowed him to recruit black players (pretty ballsy move). They eventually conceeded to his demand. Anyhow, Hayden believes he was fired because he refused to allow any corruption to take place. Boosters kept trying to pay the players, give them cars, etc. and he would not stand for it because it was a violation of the rules. This upset the big money donors and so he was fired. I don't remember the exact time frame, but within a couple years after replacing him with a coach that would allow this behaviour, they got caught and recieved the "death penalty".

The more I find out about Hayden the more proud I am that he was our coach for so long.

I'm trying to figure out what's more pathetic: 'B1G' or the division names.

Damn you, Big Ten. Damn you.

And who benefits? The SEC. One less elite team for a couple of years that would have a chance to knock them off their high horse. More so since the NCAA seems to want to reign in everybody BUT the SEC.

I'm trying to figure out what's more pathetic: 'B1G' or the division names.

Two halves of one bungled marketing effort. Tell me again, what division is Iowa in? Without looking, I can't tell you. If you have to check more than once, it is a bad idea.

Last edited:
After reading the SI article, I am glad that I support the team that I do.
While we have our own problems, most of them can be chalked up to kids being kids, and they are dealt with accordingly.

I just can't imagine KF letting something like this happen at Iowa.

OSU demise?

I don't ever remember fOSU not being solid in football. Sure, they may have a short bowl ban like USC, but they will still be the most talented team in the confernce.

Two halves of one bungled marketing effort. Tell me again, what division is Iowa in? Without looking, I can't tell you. If you have to check more than once, it is a bad idea.
A simple east or west division would have been better. But nooo.. B10 gets fancy...damn maroons.

Dirty laundry seems to be a top attention getter these days with most media and the "pile on " fans from other programs. Since no one knows all the facts yet it seems a bit premature to be forecasting the demise of tOSU program. Guess we have to define demise.

Even with a short term hit of some degree I think this program will still be dangerous and considered a contender in our conference each year maybe just not as dominant for awhile......it's all relative.

I'm not so sure the top athletes across the country that consider tOSU are going to be picking other Big 10 schools as their 2nd choice......maybe some from within the state of Ohio. Michigan would be my pick as potentially benefiting the most from the turmoil especially if the new coach shows results quickly with the turnaround.

its hard to imagine a better situation if your Brady Hoke. This scandal and possible sanctions against OSU could give Michigan a nice boost in recruiting and significantly aid the rebuilding effort their.

I don't see this being a problem for Iowa. We have to get through our own division. Also, we might steal a recruit or two from Ohio that we wouldn't normally get. Since Iowa has a reputation of being clean it could actually help. The conference will be hurt so it might affect Iowa that way.

Yep, except Nebby is on the other side of the equation this time.
Look back when the Big 12 was formed. DoNU was coming off back to back MNC's, CU, KSUcks, and Kansas all finished in the top 10 in 95.

DoNU was hanging 70 on OU, texa$$ was in and out of the top 25, only A&M was a "player" in the South.

The 2000's were the exact opposite. It's all cyclical.

Last edited:

Latest posts