B1G Hoops Power Rankings: December 17th

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Top ranked Indiana lost for the first time. Illinois and Michigan remain undefeated, Purdue lost for the sixth time and we are two weeks away from the start of Big Ten play. Time for this week's Big Ten Power rankings.

1. Indiana (LW #1): Yes, they lost to Butler in Indianapolis, the same Butler team who lost 78-61 against Illinois back in November. I still think the Hoosiers are the best and most complete team in the Big Ten and until they start losing games in league as a habit, I am keeping them here. I never left Ohio State in any week during the football season related to my power poll and just don't see a good reason for leaving Indiana at the altar right now.

2. Michigan (LW #2): The Wolverines beat West Virginia on Saturday to improve to 11-0. They are 5th in the nation in offensive efficiency but 328th out of 347th in adjusted tempo. They make it up in effective field goal percentage where they are also 5th in the nation. They make 40% of their three-point shots, 51.1% of their shots on the whole and they are the top defensive rebounding team in the league.

3. Minnesota (LW #4): Picked up a win against a Top 60 Pomeroy team last week to move to 11-1. Before the year began, I felt they had a chance to be the best defensive team in the league. So far they have not disappointed on that level and they can make a case for being the best offensive and defensive team combined. They are not as good offensively as Indiana but they are arguably better defensively than are the Hoosiers and they have played a much more challenging schedule than Indiana. They do play the toughest league slate of any Big Ten team, which also means they are going to have a clear say in who wins the league.

4. Illinois (LW #6): I put them too low last week, coming off the win at Gonzaga. But I feel that teams three through six are within an eyelash of on another until we start to see league games to create separation. I am still a bit leery of the Illini given their dependence on three-point shooting; they have attempted 311 through 12 games, far and away more than any other team in the league. Wisconsin is next with 258 in 11 games and Michigan third with 222 in 11 games. Brandon Paul has hoisted 83 treys himself while Nebraska has taken 144 as a team through 11 games. An oddity here; Illinois is 64-172 from three at home (37.2%) and 56-139 away from Assembly Hall (40.2%). They have made 10 or more three's in each of their five games away from Assembly Hall and less than 10 in four of their seven home games. I don't like to ride teams who rely on the long ball as much as the Illini are, which is why I don't think they hold this high once Big Ten play is in full swing. For now, they have wins over Gonzaga and Butler and no losses.

5. Ohio State (LW #3): This is more a matter of just not knowing enough about Ohio State. They have only played one game against a team currently ranked in Ken Pomeroy's Top 100 and that was a five-point loss at Duke who will be #1 in the new rankings later on Monday. They host Kansas on Saturday which should be a good litmus test.

6. Michigan State (LW #5): As I wrote last week, this team isn't playing its best basketball right now and if they are going to be a Top 20 team it's going to 'happen' for them in February. That's not new for a Tom Izzo team, but this crew lacks the star power of past Michigan State teams. They are not going to get up and down with regularity and may have to muck it up a bit in the mean time. They host Texas on Saturday.

------------------------------

^^^^NCAA LINE ^^^^

7. Iowa (LW #7): Hawkeyes pick up a solid win against UNI this week. They went 2-2 in their games against Top 100 competition. The computers and guys like Ken Pomeroy still like Wisconsin (6-4) but I don't like the Badgers reliance on three-point shooting, their lack of a point guard and how poorly they have played against pressure defenses. That's why Iowa stays here.

8. Wisconsin (LW #8): Read above.

9. Northwestern (LW #9): They stay here, for now. But the Wildcats lost guard Drew Crawford, arguably their best player. He averaged more than 16 points per game last year and was over 13 per game this year, the team's second leading scorer. They will still be pesky, but likely not much more.

10. Nebraska (LW #10): Huskers have lost two games in a row, two blowouts; 64-42 at home vs Creighton and 60-38 at Oregon. Both of those teams are Top 40 teams with Creighton being better than that, but Nebraska's inability to score might be the most telling fact. They are the league's 'slowest' offense with regards to adjusted temp and also one of the worst in the nation.

11. Purdue (LW #11): Matt Painter's Boilermakers fell to 4-6 after a loss against then #22 Notre Dame in Indianapolis. It's their worst start since their 7-21 season in 2005, Gene Keady's last at Purdue.

12. Penn State (LW #12): Without Tim Frazier, the Nittany Lions don't stand much of a chance. Well, they did beat Delaware State in overtime this past week.

SYNOPSIS: I think Indiana and Michigan are at the top tier right now, with Minnesota knocking on the door. Illinois, Ohio State and Michigan State are in the second tier, then there is a 'prove it' drop off to Iowa and Wisconsin. Below those two teams its ugly and getting uglier. I'd say it's a six-bid league right now, with Iowa and Wisconsin needing to beat three or so teams from the top two tiers, in addition to beating the majority of the bottom tier teams when they play them if they want to get into the dance.

As it relates to Iowa, the Hawkeyes play two more very weak teams before their Big Ten opener at home against Indiana on New Year's Eve.

Im not sure I understand the logic of the best league in the country only being a 6 bid.

It could shake out that way if there is a big gap in record from 6 to 7 I guess.

There are 6 very good teams. Of which 5 were expected to be good to great, top 25. Illannoy just so happened to crash the party. Who else can say that??

I think the B1G schedule is actually setting up better for Iowa as we move along. With Crawford's injury, I see nine conference games Iowa will be favored in (all of the bottom tier games, save for the trip to Madison). I also think they get Michigan State, Minnesota, and Illinois in Carver. Most realistic high-end finish is 13 wins, but I don't see them getting that. They'll likely drop at least one against the bottom 6 (without Crawford, though, I only see Wisconsin as a team that can beat Iowa if they're playing with any kind of energy), and might not get all three upsets.

I just can't wait for New Year's Eve!

Rather than rank one through twelve I'll group one through five with no particular order within a group.

1. Michigan and Indiana
  2. Minnesota and Ohio State
  3. Illinois and Michigan State
  4. Iowa and Wisconsin
  5. Northwestern, Purdue, Nebraska, Penn State

Michigan definitely has talent, but much of it is underclassman. They played one road game at Bradley and two neutral site games. The level of competition has been good, but when they go on the road to the other top five teams that youth will show up.

Of the top six teams Illinois has the easiest conference schedule based on current projections. Illinois has played a strong non-con schedule and proven it can win on the road. Do not be surprise if Illinois wins or ties for the regular season championship by virtue of who they do not play twice.

No team will win the conference championship outright, there will be a tie of some sort. The regular season champion will not win the conference tournament championship.

Wisconsin (6-4) but I don't like the Badgers reliance on three-point shooting

Jon, lets be honest here, no one LIKES the Badgers for any reason. I mean for the love gawd their coach is the Grinch and he hates Christmas! He can take our toys but he will never break the spirit of Christmas!

Doesnt make much sense to have Indiana still at #1 IMO. They had a narrow escape against Georgetown and lost to Butler.

Nobody has really even given Michigan a test yet. They are clearly playing the best ball right now.

Doesnt make much sense to have Indiana still at #1 IMO. They had a narrow escape against Georgetown and lost to Butler.

Nobody has really even given Michigan a test yet. They are clearly playing the best ball right now.

Really can't go wrong in determining who is better between Michigan and Indiana. Michigan is playing at a very high level. Indiana absolutely dismantled North Carolina and beat a very good Georgetown team on teh East Coast.

Top half of the conference is ridiculously good. Every one of those 6 teams would be good enough to win the league most years.

They also haven't played anybody besides NC State and Pitt (who is receiving votes, but isn't ranked). IU beat the tar out of UNC, beat GT (who is #15 now), and lost a 2-point game against a solid Butler team on a neutral floor. That's pretty even, IMO. At that point, it comes down to which team you think wins head-to-head. I know I'd take Indiana.

Really can't go wrong in determining who is better between Michigan and Indiana. Michigan is playing at a very high level. Indiana absolutely dismantled North Carolina and beat a very good Georgetown team on teh East Coast.

Top half of the conference is ridiculously good. Every one of those 6 teams would be good enough to win the league most years.

They also haven't played anybody besides NC State and Pitt (who is receiving votes, but isn't ranked). IU beat the tar out of UNC, beat GT (who is #15 now), and lost a 2-point game against a solid Butler team on a neutral floor. That's pretty even, IMO. At that point, it comes down to which team you think wins head-to-head. I know I'd take Indiana.

UNC isnt a great team this year and Georgetown has looked like they are being coached by Dr James Naismith in some of their games this year with how awful their offense has been.

UNC isnt a great team this year and Georgetown has looked like they are being coached by Dr James Naismith in some of their games this year with how awful their offense has been.

I won't sit here and call either team great. But they're at least as good as anyone that Michigan has played this year.

OK, and Michigan hasnt lost yet.

Doesnt make sense to have IU at #1 still.

Michigan has played one team on UNC/GT's level. They won, yes. But the rest of their schedule has been weak, not strong enough to jump IU. We're talking about 9-1 and 10-0 here. Not much difference in resumes at this point. And I still think Indiana is the better of the two teams. Not sure why keeping them #1 over another top 3-5 caliber team is an issue for you.

Michigan has played one team on UNC/GT's level. They won, yes. But the rest of their schedule has been weak, not strong enough to jump IU. We're talking about 9-1 and 10-0 here. Not much difference in resumes at this point. And I still think Indiana is the better of the two teams. Not sure why keeping them #1 over another top 3-5 caliber team is an issue for you.

Just not how I would rank them. It just doesnt make sense to me that teams that have similar resumes (your words) and one of those teams has lost once and the other is undefeated and the 1 loss team is still ranked higher.

And KenPom has Michigan with the 145th ranked schedule and IU with the 224th ranked schedule.

Northwestern is too high.

I think that ultimately, you are right. But as of right now, that is what I am basing it on. If I ranked them of where I felt things would play out, I'd be tempted to rank OSU higher because they play a weaker B1G SOS...as does Indiana..I think they are 9/8. Iowa is 12, the weakest...NW is 11th. Michigan is 2nd and Minnesota is 1st.

I think that ultimately, you are right. But as of right now, that is what I am basing it on. If I ranked them of where I felt things would play out, I'd be tempted to rank OSU higher because they play a weaker B1G SOS...as does Indiana..I think they are 9/8. Iowa is 12, the weakest...NW is 11th. Michigan is 2nd and Minnesota is 1st.

Their Baylor win isn't as impressive as some people want it to be.
Without Crawford, they are in deep trouble. Not Frazier-less PSU trouble, but close.

Latest posts