B1G coach of the year?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
You mentioned a top 3 but it seems to me like the B1G has a lot of really good coaches. Thats why its hard for me to get comfortable with Iowa right now. Too many good coaches to deal with on a nightly basis in the B1G.

Look no further than Indiana. That team was dead in the water and then out of nowhere gets the best conference win of the season. They obviously have talent but you have to give their coach credit for saving their season, at least for the time being.

Saved their season, until Indiana's next loss (hopefully on Thursday). :)

Hawks are going to have to make a super run at the end of the season for Fran to sniff it. He's not even in the top 3, no way. Painter, Belein tops. The hell with Gard, the next three games will include at least two losses.

Iowa could win the rest of their games and McCaffery still might not get it. Of course if they do he has a chance. Weiskamp would be on the all freshman team. Sombody on the team would probably be first team all conference. I don't see a team on the schedule that they couldn't beat. They might lose to Indiana on thursday night.

I can't see Fran getting it unless they finished first or second in the conference. They had a bad year last year but had nearly everyone coming back. And most in their third year in the program. I would pick Matt P.

Win tonight: Fran one of the favorites for COY
Lose tonight: What a ridiculous thought that Fran could be COY.

That's all folks.

You just described Richard pitinos 2017 coach of the year trophy.

Fran wont get it unless he finishes top 4 at least
Don't look know but Iowa after beating Indiana on the road, suddenly looks like a team that could finish in the top four.

Don't look know but Iowa after beating Indiana on the road, suddenly looks like a team that could finish in the top four.
As if there isn't enough on the line when Iowa plays in Madison.:)

Now it might be for a double bye in the conference tournament.

If Illinois keeps playing like they have been, Brad Underwood deserves consideration. I've always felt like the best measure of a coach is how much his team improves from the start of the season to the end. No team in the BIG or probably the entire country has improved as much as the Illini have throughout the season.

If Illinois keeps playing like they have been, Brad Underwood deserves consideration. I've always felt like the best measure of a coach is how much his team improves from the start of the season to the end. No team in the BIG or probably the entire country has improved as much as the Illini have throughout the season.

Maybe. Keep in mind he arguably has more talent to work with than a lot of the other coaches in this league have.

Fran? only cause I am all for black and gold. And, it has been a helluva turnaround, although arguably last year was a self inflicted season. Gard? nope.....dont see that either, I mean, they are always good it seems, but not lights out good. Painter? probably, boils down to what they lost from year before and where they are now. As one poster said, cant remember in what thread, he has a system and his players buy into it. IL? Oh, just gag me with a spoon. I don't care if they go undefeated the rest of the year, they are and will remain Illinois............

Lets revisit this after the next 5 or 6 games.......right now I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Fran got it...........

If he goes from 4-15 in the BIG to 12-8, I think he will get plenty of votes. That is a big jump.

Sucking the previous year with most of the same players is a pretty weak way to get to COTY.

I think Fran will need to win 6 of the last 7 and make it to the B1G tourney title game to have a shot.

I have said Painter and still say Painter. There is only 1 scenario that I don’t give it to Painter. If Iowa wins out and goes 15-5 then it’s Fran.