B1G coach of the year?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
If iowa finishes 4th and Purdue doesn't win, I think Fran gets it.

Participation Award? Why would he get it? Iowa is so bad that to get 4th you get the award in your what...8th year. Didn't think Iowa was that bad.

Didn't think iowa was that bad? They won 4 conference games.

Of a program.... to finish 4th and people think you are the cat's meow. That's what I meant. Wow, Iowa finished forth? Man is he a hell of a coach. Who knows maybe Rutgers might finish 6th next year. Sign the guy up.
Iowa? Really. who'd a thunk.

Of a program.... to finish 4th and people think you are the cat's meow. That's what I meant. Wow, Iowa finished forth? Man is he a hell of a coach. Who knows maybe Rutgers might finish 6th next year. Sign the guy up.
Iowa? Really. who'd a thunk.

You thought iowa was a better program than that? I don't believe you.

You thought iowa was a better program than that? I don't believe you.

Up until about 5 years or so into Fran, I though Iowa was still a top 25 program in overall evaluation. A good destination for coaches. I don't believe Iowa still is at or below MN, Rutgers, NE, NW, PSU, or even OSU (take away early Motta). IL maybe has slipped into that category. For Fran to be declared COY for 4th, that would put the Hawks at that level.

Up until about 5 years or so into Fran, I though Iowa was still a top 25 program in overall evaluation. A good destination for coaches. I don't believe Iowa still is at or below MN, Rutgers, NE, NW, PSU, or even OSU (take away early Motta). IL maybe has slipped into that category. For Fran to be declared COY for 4th, that would put the Hawks at that level.

Well unless you live under a rock you know that previous year has a huge impact on voter's decisions and we had a terrible year last year.

Awfully quiet up in here in regards to Fran from the usual suspects.
Another 20 + win season and NCAA qualifier.
Congratulations Fran, helluva job this year!

I saw a tweet where he's won 20 games in 4 of the last 6 years. I think a couple years ago was one win short.

I’m usual suspect and I’m enjoying the ride right now, but I’m also well aware of what it’s taken to beat the Big Tens 10th and 13th placed team. :cool:

I’m usual suspect and I’m enjoying the ride right now, but I’m also well aware of what it’s taken to beat the Big Tens 10th and 13th placed team. :cool:

It's taken just a little more than teams like Michigan and Michigan state had against Penn state and Illinois. Purdue needed a terrible missed call bu the official to beat the last place team too. Iowa isn't an outlier for almost losing to some bad teams. They're an outlier for having zero losses against bad teams.

Minnesota finished 4th two years ago at 11-7 in the conference and Pitino was named Coach of the Year (believe it or not). That was Pitino's 4th year at Minnesota. That was only the 2nd COY for Minnesota (Dutcher in 1982 - Haskins award in 1997 was taken away).

Tim Miles also got COY in 2014 for a 4th place finish for Nebraska 11-7. That was his 2nd year at Nebraska.

There is still 30% of the conference regular season left, as well as the conference tournament. Does the B10 Tournament get played BEFORE coach of the year is decided?

It seems a little early to me to have this discussion. What if we went 3-3 the rest of the way and won just one game in the BTT? A 12-8 record will not win that award.